X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

Additional power amp but no pre outs on receiver

Hi

I currently have an onkyo tx-sr501 receiver and i want to add a rotel rb-1080 power amp to power my mains speakers. Problem, my receiver has no proper pre outs and I was wondering would it be possible by any other means to connect the rotel to the receiver? I heard from someone I could do it via the tape out but I have no way of testing this. If someone could help me out here it would be fantastic.

Cheers
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The tape out won't work because the volume control isn't in the signal path. As a result using the receiver as a pre/pro isn't an option.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

I have never done the tape out thing for amps. I would just get a new Receiver. You can get a Yamaha, Denon or a Pioneer for a rather good price that has the pre-outs. No sence adding a good amp but loosing the sound quaility just cause you had to use a back door to get the sound there. I say spend 300 bucks and get a new receiver.
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I also believe that by using the tape out to the amp could cause some serious damage as the signal going to the tape out is a full one which could harm the amp. Not certain on this but I believe I recall hearing this somewhere.

Get a new receiver!
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Danger!... DO NOT use the tape out... not sure about actual damage, but the full-level amplified signal will scare the pants off you, at the very least.

No options here -- suck it up and get a new receiver.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

If you haven't bought the 1080 yet maybe a better option, rather than picking up a cheap low-end receiver, is to get a higher quality receiver for now. Something from Rotel, Sherwood Newcastle, Nad etc and upgrade to a bigger amp later....? You don't really want to short change your system on the processing end either
            Jason

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jimmyp58
              I also believe that by using the tape out to the amp could cause some serious damage as the signal going to the tape out is a full one which could harm the amp. Not certain on this but I believe I recall hearing this somewhere.

Get a new receiver!

Originally posted by gd
              Danger!... DO NOT use the tape out... not sure about actual damage, but the full-level amplified signal will scare the pants off you, at the very least.

No options here -- suck it up and get a new receiver.
              There is no "full amplified" or "damaging" signal at the tape outs. The signal at the tape outs is the same as the output of the source components (prior to gain stage(s) [see diagram]. The only danger with the tape outs is that the signal is full open (i.e., the same as having no volume control or having a volume control at max) and as Thomas said is unusable.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Thanks for the clarification.
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• gd
                  • Jan 2003

Me too... the 'thanks' that is... I did not articulate what I was trying to say very well.

However, that 'tape out' hooked up directly to power amp will be frighteningly loud as promised, especially if you're not expecting it... because, as Glen B explained, it will not be attenuated.
                  greg (gd to you)
                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• DL86
                    • Sep 2005

Thanks for the input guys. I have decided to get a yamaha rx-v657 receiver for the mean time and later on add some serious power amps like the rmb-1075 and the 1080. I do agree the only option is to upgrade the receiver.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"