X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • falcon1955
    • Aug 2005

subwoofer choice

Hi
    I have a Rotel 1056 and b&w s3 set up and looking for good sub in reasonable price range, I listen to 75% music so i want something to be invisable but get those low notes on jazz double bass sounds,At the moment i am testing a oldie but goldie A/D/S It seems to do the job well and has plenty of punch for HT.
    Anyone know anything about these early subs called the sub10 andsub12?
    It has a 275w amp and solid wood cabinet.
    I guess my question (on which i welcome your thoughts) is will i see or hear a great improvement from a modern sub such as the MK range I believe the ADS retailed for about $1500 new what would i expect to pay for a used sub ten or fiteen years old?Do they improve with age? or just get wooly
    Any info would be gratefully received.
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

What is your budget? That would help a lot as there are so many possibilities.
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Do they improve with age?
      No the suspensions dry out and become stiff. And it's problematic to get them reconed

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I wouldn't call M&K's musical. there are better options available to you for your needs. What's your budget and where are you located?

Comment

• Jeff
          • Dec 2004

For 1,500 you could buy a nice sub. My Paradigm Reference Servo-15 was $1.5k. I can only say WOW.

It replaced a KLH 250 watt 12" sub. It's a low end sub which I pickup cheap. The paradigm can go so much lower with force it's put the KLH to shame.

Can you expect a big difference with 2 channel. It depends upon your definition of big. It's awsome for HT.
          (I have them both connected at the moment). For 2 channel it'll go as low as the music demands and it's quicker. Which is nice for my jazz.

When purchased the sub I thought the Servo-15 was over kill. I now feel it was a perfect purchase. I now know I not missing any of the low frequencies.

Jeff

Comment

• WCS
            • Aug 2005

Wow Jeff, you went from riding a bike to driving a sports car with that subwoofer upgrade congrates on your killer sub. I know we are awaiting FALCONS budget range, but Ill jump rigth out and say, $400.00 for your less expensive subwoofer budget will get you one of the best subwoofers out there for the price. SVS PB10-ISD I would say SVS is the best sub on the market aslong as you can get your foot in the door with the sub I mentioned, and if not, do yourself a favor and keep saving until you can own the entry level SVS sub. Its well worth it. If your budget allows for more spending look into there other models, I hear alot of good stuff about there PC line.

Comment

• kylek100
              • Jun 2005

heh...you think that's bad, i just went from a 100 watt 10 inch KLH to a velodyne digital drive 12
              Denon 3805
              B&W 805S
              B&W 601 S3
              B&W HTM7
              Velodyne Digital Drive 12
              AudioQuest Clear 2 Hyperlitz
              AudioQuest Emerald Hyperlitz interconnects

Comment

• directitstore
                • Aug 2005

What ever you do dont by a Jamo sub, I have had two and they both have been faulty.

Comment

• falcon1955
                  • Aug 2005

Hi
                  Thanks for your info.
                  Ok, I am in Australia and my budget is around 1000 AUS DOLLARS
                  This might not mean much to you so lets say you had 800 US to spend.
                  I'll leave it to you to suggest and then i will research prices this end.
                  A Sound engineer friend of mine has just told me today that older subs,walk away as the heat produced by the speaker coil gets so hot that it wears and you end up with a wooly sounding woofer, What are your thoughts?
                  IT looks like buying new is the way to go.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Your budget puts you within reach of some nice SVS units. For a box-shaped sub, try this one at US$699:

PB12-ISD/V

And for a tube-type, there's this at US$775:

25-31 PC+

Both will give you great performance - the tube will give just a bit more, but there may be a WAF (wife acceptance factor) to deal with. FWIW, I'm not an SVS owner. They are just pretty much the best bang for the buck in non-kit subs.

Best of luck, and keep us posted. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

HSU or SVS is the route I'd go. You'll be happy with either. I owned an M&K. It was "musical" but forget it when it is called upon to play deep bass. Below 25, it was pretty non-existent.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

It might be easier if you told us what subs were available to you locally, then we could offer suggestions.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• WCS
                          • Aug 2005

I wouldnt even bother looking any further. You can pick up the phone and speak with some one @ SVS they are very helpful. With your budget the SVS 25-31 PC+ is the way to go.

This website is for sale! svsubwoofers.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, svsubwoofers.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Even if you wanted to save some of your money you also couldnt go wrong with this sub aswell. Anyone of these subs will make waves in your pool. Seriously. And they ship overseas aswell and can only be purchased directly from them. Good luck and lut us know what you decide.

This website is for sale! svsubwoofers.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, svsubwoofers.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

What size is your room?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Ok, I am in Australia and my budget is around 1000 AUS DOLLARS
                            That's the important part....so what's available to you? Does Adire still have a Oz dealer for their drivers Thomas?

Comment

• c912039
                              • Aug 2005

Hi Falcon,

can your budget stretch another AU$300?

If so, give Steve a call at Eastwood Hifi. He has a special on a Yamaha YST-1500 down-firing 12" sub (1000W amp). Normal AU retail for one of these is AU$2000. I live in Adelaide, and rang up Steve in Sydney for an over-the-phone purchase, and had it shipped for a very low fee (considering how heavy this sucker is) within 2 days. (I also purchased a Yamaha RX-V 2500 amp from him at the same time.)

Regards

David

Comment

• eddiem67
                                • Jun 2004

Onix UFW-12 if you want to wait for the next shipment
                                My Car Audio

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"