X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

HT gear for Mother's Day ??

Hey, was anyone (ingenious) (bold) (brave) (stupid) enough (pick the appropriate adjective) to buy or upgrade HT gear as your Mother's Day gift?

I'm looking for stories of successful approaches that I might apply to an upcoming wedding anniversary.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

heheheee... I think that would becoming "Happy Mother's Day, honey... I'm going to go play with the new DVD player". which is just what I'm trying to avoid today.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

I'm brave but not stupid!

I've only been married 7 years but what little advice I can offer is DON'T DO IT! (That said I've never done this but I done a few boner manuevers that would tantamount to something similar to this....so here goes)

Unless:
      =====
      You both have an agreement and real understanding to buy your own gifts for (and this is really important) EQUVIALENT dollars.

OR

She's really into electronics and will genuinely appreciate this kind of gift.

OR

You are looking to have this thrown in your face for the next FIVE years EVERY TIME you get into an argument about ANYTHING.

Just some friendly relationship advice. You'll need a better reason, hold off to a birthday or something. Anniversaries are about HER....(just like the wedding) this is the time to be romantic, flowers, a trip, jewlery etc.... it will pay back in spades and you will be able to get that theater equipment soon after.

SIMPLY PUT, FOR GOD SAKES, DON'T DO IT :nono:

Some suggestions (if that didn't scare you off)
      -Feel her out.
      -Drop hints.
      -Casually ask questions about upgrading or adding electronics.
      -Ask her how she feels about the financial situation these days.
      -Are you guys financially secure?
      -Any Kids or kids on the way? That's going to make it tougher, she'll always pull the kid card on you.
      -Do your homework for possible reactions and rebuttles.

How much, roughly, are we talking here in upgrades?
      -Is it kind of unreasonable when you step back and give it a second thought?

-Could it wait till a B-day (yours) or possibly X-mas where something like this is more appropriate and easier to swallow.

-Do you guys have a retirement plan? or big payments up front already? Might this affect the monthly budget (assuming you have one)

Be careful here. You spouse can be very sensitive to spending habits....Money issues can be a couple killer That part I know of what I speak

(People buy so much on credit these thinking they can have it all now without ramifications, that part I never get, why pay more for something?).

-If you do go for it, you'll have to set aside a small part of your upgrade budget for gifts for her...or make sure she's involved somehow or gets something out of it.

You could always fall back on nightly sex (and it has to be the quality kind of earth moving variety....hey part of your budget could go into some "toys, lotions and potions for her" if you get my meaning :W ...no 3 minute quickies) :rofl:
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"