• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Tell me all about a three-way!

(no, not THAT kind, you sicko)

Okay, all my time in A/V, and you know, I've never asked this question or found out the answer--

Why are some speakers listed as "two-way" speakers? That to me means that it puts out sound, but then also takes in sound as a microphone. Obviously this is NOT the case. And what the heck would "three-way" speakers be?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Stoney
    • Dec 2004

I've always understood 3-way as having 3 separate drivers (frequency ranges). Woofer, midrange and tweeter. A two way would have 2 drivers. I suppose a system having multiple drivers at the same frequency range would still be considered 3-way. example-- 2 woofers, a mid, and a tweet would still be a 3-way under this definition. Perhaps 3-way or 2-way would be better defined by the crossover; how many frequency ranges the system is split into.
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Stoney
      Perhaps 3-way or 2-way would be better defined by the crossover; how many frequency ranges the system is split into.

That is correct :T

Paul

Comment

• Pieter
        • Jan 2005

Amen

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Okay, that makes sense. But to clarify, it would be how many frequency ranges the speaker crossovers split into, not the drivers? For instance, My Klipsch KLF-30 speaker is listed as "three-way". But it has two woofers, one midrange horn, and one mini-tweeter horn. So the three-way would be the speaker splitting frequencies to the two woofers, the midrange, and the tweeter?

Home Audio Products for Every Lifestyle, Application & Budget. Since 1946, no compromises in Legendary Sound. Free Shipping on All Online Orders in the US.

I think I've seen a five-way. Is that really necessary, dividing frequencies into 5 ranges?
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Once in a while you can also find 2 1/2-way designs where two or more similar drivers handle slighly different portions of the same general frequency range. For example, a system with one tweeter and two woofers where one woofer handles the midrange and mid-bass and the other handles the low bass.

The Paradigm Monitor 5, 9 & 11 are examples of 2 1/2-way speaker systems:
            Last edited by Glen B; 07 May 2005, 16:46 Saturday.

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

Chris, yes the three-way is splitting the frequencies to the tweeter, midrange and two woofers.

In a four-way or five-way design, each driver can be designed to handle a narrower range of frequencies, which can be a good thing because it makes the job of each driver easier. Of course, the crossover design will be more elaborate and extra drivers more costly. If the more complex crossover is not properly designed, performance can be worse than a simpler 2-way or 3-way design, defeating the purpose of the more elaborate system.

Comment

• Paul H
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                Okay, that makes sense. But to clarify, it would be how many frequency ranges the speaker crossovers split into, not the drivers?

Correct.

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                I think I've seen a five-way. Is that really necessary, dividing frequencies into 5 ranges?
                Necessary, no, but this forum isn't about 'necessary' :wink:

There are a pile of trade-offs in sound quality for large multi-way systems; drivers dedicated to a small range of frequencies (good), many crossovers (potentially bad), cost (bad), complexity (bad), and for a diy'er the challenge and potential for one absolutely awesome speaker if done right (very good).

Just yesterday I stained the panels for a new dipole speaker. The overall setup for each speaker will include two 15" drivers, two 10" drivers, one 6" and one tweeter - that will be a four-way, but with the separate sub for the very bottom octave will essentially be a five-way.

Paul
                Attached Files

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Cool, Paul! :T
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• georgev
                    • Jul 2004

Awesome. Are these going to be rear speakers or front speakers?
                    In spite of the two 15' drivers would you still need a sub?

Comment

• Paul H
                      • Feb 2004

Thanks, these will be fronts. Dipole bass is very inefficient - hence the four 15" drivers - but I should be able to use them full range for music with good extension close to the bottom octave.

I'll probably still use a sub for movies - not because I'll need to as much as to save the dipoles from the possibility of bottoming during very low frequencies.

Paul

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Cool DIY speakers Paul! :P

I believe B&W also uses the 2.5 way design, at least in the 600 series if my memory serves.

My Energy Connoisseurs C-9's have one Chambered 1" Aluminum Dome tweeter and three 6.5" drivers in Energy's "Tapered Crossover System". This directs midrange frequencies only to the upper most woofer, and the other two woofers are for low frequency support. (Crossover Point: 2 kHz, Woofer 1 to 2 KHz, Woofers 2 and 3 ~ to 550Hz)
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"