Clear All
  • eddiem67
    • Jun 2004

JL Audio has home subs now

Who is willing to buy one and give us feedback

My Car Audio
  • CJ Paul
    • Oct 2004

Interesting... I dont know why not I guess.

A) They do have some pretty good quality drivers
    B) They have brand name recognition, especially amongst and audience that was buying their products 5-7 years ago and now maybe purchasing a house/building a HT.

I dont want to come off snobby, but in MY personal audio evolution, HT/Home stereo came after I got bored with car audio (no offense ment to any car audio people), which means home audio came after I had a real job and real money. In my area of the country, car audio is totally a high-school thing.

Comment

• eddiem67
      • Jun 2004

Yeah technology has changed with car audio these days, thanks to Tru Technology, they make High end tube amps for car audio that can break your bank with just 1 amp. Then you have components like dynaudio, morel, and DLS that just keep me wanting to build the best SQ system for my car. Trust me you need a real job and real money if you want to build a good car audio system.

Anyway, the Fathom MSRP is over 5K, each sub has over 30mm one way linear xmax, talking about moving some air. I want to know if they designed the amp themselves.
      My Car Audio

Comment

• Jraducha
        • Aug 2004

Car audio is so far from a high school thing.

The new JL Home subs sound outstanding. I have heard them here in PHX at JLs headquarters... The amp was all designed inhouse by Bruce. You can watch a video online about it. He is the guy behind many great amps in the car audio world. He is a pretty cool guy. He has even helped me out with the simplest little amp that I couldnt figure out..A dynaco 70...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by the politely spoken Jraducha
          Car audio is so far from a high school thing.
          In some cases I'd agree with that comment... 25 years away from it in my case. I'm 43 and still love it (wife 41 and still loves it)... can't get enough of it. (Just one of my many worldly sins of selfish desires that I can't shake.) :B However, when I go to my main stereo shop (and it's a large one) there does seem to be more young people hanging around and buying stuff. I'd say more young that my age... I feel kinda out of place at times.

I think most of the younger people are more into the boom boom while others might be more interested in SQ. I'm personally an SQ guy but I like it to boom boom every now and then just to bring back those high school memories. Okay... maybe there wasn't that much boom boom in my high school days.

I will be installing a system in my 2005 Camry tomorrow.

I had one JL Audio 12W6v2 in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure (downfiring) in a Ford Supercrew and it would jar your teeth loose. SQ was superb. No matter what kind of power and abuse I threw at it... it could handle it.

It will be interesting to read some reviews on their new home stuff.

Comment

• CJ Paul
            • Oct 2004

Guys, I just want to reitterate (I dont want anyone mad at me) that my comment was related to my personal experience, and all the people I knew in HS who had overblown car stereos and now are not into the hobby at all. That's all I meant.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

I don't think anyone's mad... I'm probably one of the exceptions to tricked out car stereo's at my age. Not too tricked out though.

I'll take some pics of my install when finished. I used to have a few pages on our website devoted to my supercrew but when I sold it I took the page down and deleted all the pics.

I can remember a few years out of high school I really got big into car stereo. I had 3 X 15" subs in the back seat of a Nissan Sentra 8O being pushed by a Hifonics amp.

Actually I didn't delete all those pics... I found them... here's a few... including the JL Sub box:

Comment

• David R.
                • Apr 2003

^ Sonnie we could probably get a conversation going then. LOL

I do competition car audio.. sound quality that is, not that dumb SPL crap. It is a different ball game then the HS stuff.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

Yeah... we're steering a little off topic here though.

I guess maybe we could drum up some car stereo talk in Not Ready for Primetime.

Maybe in a couple of days I can get some pics up of my install in the Camry. Anyone else could post some pics of theirs. Enough interest and we might even talk Lex into a dedicated forum for car stereo.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Shoot, I'd start the threads in Speed. It's about cars 'n bikes 'n such.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

Good idea David!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"