Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

North's latest effort to be rereleased

Morah Jones
    Jazz superstar gives her fans some 'extra stuff' in re-issue of latest CD
    By LIISA LADOUCEUR -- Toronto Sun
    Norah Jones will have a second CD release this year, a re-issued version of her latest disc, Feels Like Home.

The singer's sophomore album has sold over 8 million copies since its release in February, almost 400,000 of them in Canada. Now those fans will have to decide whether to pony up for the "special deluxe edition" coming September 21.

The new 2-disc package will contain the complete Feels Like Home release, plus three bonus songs and a DVD with four live tracks recorded in Spain, two music videos and an interview with Norah.

"It's a total record label thing," says Jones, in an exclusive phone interview from her New York City home.

"It's good for people who are really big fans, they like having all that extra stuff. But it's kind of confusing to me. It's the record label's way of getting as much as they can, I guess. I'm not saying they're total leeches or anything. If you already have the record, you can get the extras by going online -- you don't have to buy it again."

You can't blame the record company, really.

Jones is a seriously hot meal ticket for Blue Note Records. For the non-cynics contemplating purchasing the re-release, the highlight of the package will be a new, previously unreleased song, I Turned Your Picture to the Wall, written by George Wyle.

Wyle, whose songwriting credits include Most Wonderful Time Of The Year and the theme to Gilligan's Island, was the grandfather of Adam Levy, Norah Jones' guitarist.

"Adam and him were so close. He always talked about him," says Norah. "We got to meet him in California last year and he was sweet as can be. When we were upstate recording, he was in the hospital and Adam was visiting him. He said 'my grandfather showed me this song he wrote and it's so adorable, I want to play it for you.' It was so beautiful. We just didn't have time to record it. His grandfather passed away last year, and the next time we were in the studio, we did it. It was pretty special."

Jones has just returned from a tour of Europe, taking a few days in New York City before starting the 53-city North America that lands at Molson Amphitheatre Aug. 27. She says it's her biggest tour yet, with the most shows at large venues.

"It's definitely different from last year, with video screens for the people in the back," she says. "I especially love the outside places, they're my favourites. I've really grown into performing now."

The tour kicks off at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville on Aug. 12. "It's such a thrill to be on the same stage that Hank Williams played on," says Jones.

But before that, she and her band will be recording a secret show for yet another upcoming DVD release.

"We're going to have some special guests," she says. "Gillian Welsh I think will come. Dolly Parton (who duets with Jones on Feels Like Home's Creepin In) might come down. I'm a little nervous, and I love to capture a great performance, but tailoring your performance to being captured is scary. What if you have an off night? But I think it's going to be fun."
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"