X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

New Norah Jones album "Feels Like Home"

I haven't picked this one up, yet. (I might do so in the next few hours--don't know) I'm wondering what people's opinions are of it?

So far, I've heard a mixed bag of stuff from the public here and there about this new album. Apparently, it's a little more influenced by country music, which makes me nervous, but I'd still like to hear it. And many or most of the songs are written by her band members, not her. One review I read in a magazine said that because of this the songs didn't quite blend with each other into a full album.

So far, I only see this one out as an enhanced CD. I'm wondering if I should wait, in case it's released on a SACD like "Come Away With Me'.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Chris!

Country man...nothing is worth risking country!.....no offense to country music lovers ofcourse!

Take care bud!

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Walmart has it for 9.99. For 10 bucks, it's worth a chance and buy now, then pick up SACD later.

Even though I was actually the one that announced the country tones, I'm giving it a try. Nora is just to sweet not to.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

Saw a video from her on MTV today. A Song called Sunshine. Silly video, bit low budget.

But I was amazed it was put on MTV anyway (maybe bcoz she is unlikely to show her pierced boob :P (although in Europe, nobody cares and understands what the fuss is about)

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I checked out this album at Best Buy yesterday, and was somewhat ambivalent about it. A few decent songs, but there were some that I really wasn't too crazy about. Those were mostly the country-styled songs. I was listening to it in the noisy store environment, FWIW, so I give some credit there.

I think one Amazon reviewer said it best, as the album seems to be a "mishmash" of songs that don't quite gel with each other as a collection.

I was on the fence, but decided not to buy it.

CHRIS
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

My policy on buying cd's: when in doubt, don't buy.
            A while ago, went to a good store and listened to about 3 cd's and all had doubts, so didn't buy. Sometimes you find gems, sometimes not

About norah jones... isn't she a bit too overhyped within the high-end world, just because she has a nice sacd out that serves as a reference/demo sacd

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I don't mind country so I'll be buying this one for sure. Yes it might not sound as cohesive as her first effort but I never listen to a whole CD at once anyway (well rarely) so that won't bother me much and as Doug points out her voice is just to sweet to pass on

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

I'll be buying this one as well. As Andrew says, she is just too sweet to pass up.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Well, I heard on the news the other day that Norah Jones has the biggest opening sales week for the past 4 years, or something like that. So people are buying!

CHRIS
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I picked this up the other day and after a couple of listen though's I think I actually like it more then the first one. I know most people disagree but I tend to like the folk/country/jazz sound on this one and I'll even admit to enjoying the duet with Dolly :LOL:

One thing to watch out for though is that this is a copy protected disk that forces you to install its own player to play it back on a PC. You can try to play the CDA tracks but they'll sound horrible if you don't use their player...which really sucks as their player is very CPU intensive...at least on my work PC.

Comment

• will1066
                      • Aug 2003

Thread alive! Anyway, for those who have this CD, regarding audio quality, do you feel there is dullness to the recording? It feels like there's a glazing over it, especially to the sound of Norah's piano.

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Yeah I picked it up.yes the sound quality isn't all that good.yes it has a haze over it and the instruments don't sound that natural.Country is what this cd is all about.Funny no SACD version released as far as I know.I like a few songs but a cd it almost sucks.The first song is my favorite.then it's all down hill after that.
                        Why she made a country cd after a killer jazz cd is behond be.Again NO SACD that I can find.Shame....

Dan

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Give the SACD a few more months to come out...same is her first disc. Then again who knows, I haven't heard much about this CD selling well, so who knows if her studio will support an SACD release....?

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

After finally listening to this, yeah, I was less than thrilled with it, liking only parts of it, and yes, the audio quality did seem somehow compromised.

I had to give her a chance, I'll listen to it again a time or two, but I don't think it will become a fav.

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

Nora Jones isn't the first or only singer to start off with a "killer" album and then follow up with a less successful second album. Seems that too often, rather than building on the strengths of the first, they change direction to show artistic "range" (or maybe they are demonstrating that they ran out of ideas when they released the first one). Sometimes they recover and have long term success. Others fail so miserably thereafter that we see them as "one hit (or one album) wonders".

A prime example of this, for me, anyway, is Joan Osborne, who wowed us with her sensational first album, "Relish". With her sometimes raspy, sometimes sweet but engaging voice crafting dynamite songs like the deliciously irreverent "St. Theresa", a stunning rendition of Dylan's "Man in the Long Black Coat" and the unsettling, but memorable, "One of Us", she was a phenomenon.

I was so excited when she finally released a second album that I bought "Righteous Love" without having heard any of it in advance. Major mistake. Uninspired, boring. After listening a couple of times (to be sure my initial disappointment wasn't just a matter of mood), I gave it away. Even though I could check it out from the public library, I haven't bothered to even try listening to her third album, since folks have said it follows the pattern of her second album, not the first album.

It will be interesting to hear what Nora Jones does the next time around. If she comes back around to the sound we all liked so much on "Come Away With Me", she may keep an audience. Otherwise, hard to say...

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

The fabled "sophomore jinx" strikes again, eh?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Well if sales dive bomb, Nora'll get the message and the next album will probably be something more like her first. I don't mind a little country now and then, but I think it was a bit risky for her to take that direction after starting off big with a jazz album.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

I listened a bit more, and well, liked some of it some more than I thought, but there are still some country influences that I didn't care for. If she wants to go Country, she should move to Nashville, and go public with being country.

Lex
                                    Doug

Comment

• will1066
                                      • Aug 2003

Understandly now, expectations are sky-high. I'll play devil's advocate here. I understand "our" point of view, that we don't like her direction toward country. But heck, she's the artist, and if she wants to go that way, it's her prerogative. I don't think she's a "corporate" musician who's in it for a buck. I'm sure she didn't put out her first album expecting to become a mega-smash hit. She's a musician who obviously loves what she does, so even if I don't necessary like it, I respect that.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"