X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I need Help selecting New CD's

Hello everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas!

I realized that my CD collection is in serious need of updating and revitalization. I haven't seriously added to my collection of for quite some time now and if I have, it was just random acts of hearing a song on the radio and saying "I like that, maybe I'll go get the CD".

So, I go to the CD store and I am seriously overwelmed, cannot find anything that I really want to take a chance on. There are so many artist and new releases out there that I just don't know what to get.

I have been listening for quality of recording lately, as opposed to just a good song but crappy recording/mastering. My collection is just full of great songs that actually sound crappy these days. Of my +350 CD's I only listen to about a dozen or so becuase the recording seems to be very good, the rest I'll pop in for a momnet only to eject for a lack luster performance.

My recent taste's have been;

Diana Krall
    Spyro Gyra
    Christian Mcbride
    Roy Obido
    Enya
    Holly Cole
    Eric Clapton
    Crusaders
    Herbie Handcock

I have broad musical tastes and like everything ie;

Pink Floyd
    George Benson
    U2
    Kidrock
    Fleetwoodmac
    AC/DC
    Rush
    Ohio Players
    Emerson lake and Palmer
    Celine Dion
    The Carpenters
    Beethoven
    Mozart
    Manheim Steamroller

You get the idea.....

What I want is sound Quality!

Sorry for being so long winded, Suggestions?

Bing
    Bing
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Bing,
    If you are into the blues then you need to check out Indigenous. They have a web site indigenousrocks.com
    I would recommend "Things We Do" it is a great CD and is HDCD to boot. Very well recorded.

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thanks, Pat I listen to a a few cuts and it sounds very nice, I'll search around town first for this title

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Bing,

Some possible suggestions combining good music and sonics, given what you've posted as your likes:

Jazz:

"McCoy Tyner and Stanley Clarke with Al Foster", on Telarc Jazz; this was a DSD recording, and the CD is downconverted from the DSD/SACD. The SACD version of this disk is hybrid and has both a CD layer and SACD layer. Good playing and great sound, especially the drums.

Patricia Barber, her live recording in Chicago, "Companion"- ThomasW like this one a lot, both performances and recording quality.

Pop

Lindsey Buckingham, "Out of the Cradle", great tunes, fantastic recording for a pop album. One of the demo's I use on my X1 clones for people with "mainstream" musical tastes (a lot of stuff I like could be called "difficult listening music").

Beth Nielson Chapman is a singer/songwriter of exceptional talent, but relatively unkonwn; she puts on a great live show, too. Just recently released a "best of" CD. Good tunes and sound.

If you're at all into "retro" sounds, like Beatles circa "Rubber Soul" and "Yesterday and Today", try Michael Penn's "MP4". Yeah, he's the brother of Sean Penn. Weird.

"Alma Caribenna" from Gloria Estefan goes back to her true roots; the SACD sounds great, haven't heard the CD. But hey, that guy that runs the Audio Critic says SACD is a bunch of hooey, and CD sounds just as good, so the CD *should* sound fine. (So how come my SACD of the Titanic soundtrack *Blows Away* the CD?)

Classical:

Hyperion, "Piano Trios", The Florestan Trio, Debussy, Faure, Ravel. This is another hybrid CD/SACD recording (try Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disk), recorded in DSD, downconverted for the CD layer, it's piano, violin, and cello pieces, beautiful performances and stunning recording quality.

Happy Holidays, Bing! :B

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Wow, good recommendations Jon!

That's exactly the information I have been needing, some of those like Stanley clarke and Linsey Buckingham, I'm familiar with, but never think to give a try....

Happy Holidays to you as well

Thanks

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I have four selections that are sure to get the jazz side of you going. The first three are recent releases (1999-00) and are also HDCD. The forth is a 92 release but, it has excellent sound quality as well.

Dave Koz-The Dance

Dave Koz is the man! This cd has two remakes on it (Careless Whisper by George Michael and I'll Be There by the Jackson Five) that Dave has taken to the next level. It is also a star studded cast featuring Burt Bacharach, BeBe Winans, Luther Vandross, David Benoit, Montell Jordan, Chris Botti, Jonathan Butler, Marc Antoine and Jeff Lober.

Pamela Williams-SAXTRESS

Not a big name but, Big on talent! Not a lot of female artist that play the Sax. And, she does it as well as the best. She like KOZ has a few big names appearing on her cd. Teena Marie and Patti LaBelle. The Three came together for a great rendition of "The Secret Garden"

Philip Bailey-Dreams

Philips ventures since Earth Wind & Fire have been dissapointing to say the least. However this time he enlisted the talents of Gerald Albright, George Duke, (the late) Grover Washington Jr., Kirk Whalum and Peter White. This was a total surprise to me upon listening. It is a sleeper, for sure to add years of listening pleasure.

Rodney Franklin-Love Dancin

This one is old enough that, it can be had for a great price new or used. A lot of great piano and guitar work here. With a great supporting cast, Harvey Mason (Fourplay), Doc Powell, George Howard and Gerald Albright. Well recorded with tons of great music. My personal favorite title is "It never Rains In Southern California"

I hope that one or two of these will fill your music taste

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Excellent John!

Dave Koz sounds like a must have with all those guests.

I didn't mind Phillip's solo album with "easy lover, and 'children of the getto" Actually, I had that many moons ago on vinyl. I may have to get both on CD.

This is great.... So much to look forward to.

Thanks for the recommendations thus far! :B

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Bing,
                I also have those two on Lp's In regards to those two albums, I suppose I was expecting more of a "Reasons" sound from Mr Bailey and that wasn't what I heard. Anyway, hope you get to hear the suggestions that I made!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Jon, Beth Nielson Chapman is a nice sounding album. I really like that song "Shake My Soul" Who has she appeared with? Her voice is so familiar..

Patrica Barber sounds very nice as well, classy vocals.

John, Dave Koz is an excellent recommendation! I also picked up Fourplay, Yes Please. Thanks for reminding me of those guys... The cut "Blues Force" is fantastic.

While I was at it I picked up Boney James & Rick Braun "Shake it Up"... sounds good so far.

I like Rodney Franklin's spin on the Hill Street Blues theme

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Bing,
                    I'm glad that you found something you liked from the suggestions. I didn't recommend any Fourplay because...I just assume that they are a given to a jazz lover:W

I have never watched Hill Street Blues thus am unfamiliar with the theme. Which one was it on his cd (if you can recall)?

I too am a Boney James and Rick Braun fan. I got to see/hear Rick Braun live a year and a half ago in Seattle. He was the opening act for Grover Washinton Jr. Now that was a great show!!!

Enjoy the music.

Comment

• KennyG
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2000

To check out a beautifully recorded female voice, pick up Janis Ian's "Breaking silence".
                      For some deep bass, Soul Coughing's "El Oso".
                      Great horns can be had on Tower of Power "direct (sheffield labs) AND, A La Carte Brass & Percussion's, "Boogeyin'!Swamprock,Salsa & 'trane". On wildchild label)
                      You'll need some well recorded rock to round that out...A Perfect Circle has alot of talent!!!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

John, I'ts actually on this album Here I came across it an recodnized the name. It is a jazzier version of the actual TV version by Mike Post.

The Saxtress is awesome as well...

That would have been a good concert to see.

Kenny, I'll look into those, I love Janice Ian's vocals on "Seventeen".

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Bing,
                          That TV Themes seems to be a fun album. I'll add it to my collection.

So, you did get to sample Pamela Williams. I really enjoy her style.

Kenny or Bing,
                          What genre is Janice Ian?

Comment

• Bing Fung
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

John, I personally have not heard that entire album.

Janice Ian... sorta like Joni Mitchell?

Bing
                            Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Thanks Bing.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Bing, I'm not aware of Beth Nielson Chapman being on anyone else's albums, but it's possible. She writes all her own material, plays keyboards, too. A lot of her songs are quite personal, such as from her third album, which some are about her feelings about her husband who had died recently. Glad you're enjoying it- she's one of my favorite female vocalists, though I like lots of others, like Janis Ian, Sarah McLachlan, Patricia Barber, Joni Mitchell, and Laurie Anderson. The latter is more of a performance artist than a vocalist, but sings quite well- she's a hoot, live. Her most accessible album is "Strange Angels".

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2000

I really do like Beth Nielson Chapman, I must have heard her before, just didn't recognize the name. she doe seem to put a lot of experiance in to her work, it must be why I was so moved and captivated by her songs.

One Artist, track that I have just recently discovered and seem to really like a lot is Rebecca Pidgeon and "Grandmother" from her Raven album, what an original song and sound!

John, I have to say Peter White has got to be one of my favorite (newly discovered ) Jazz guitarists, Thanks. I just can't seem to get enough of his sounds.

Another is Wayman Tisdale and "Bass Man", I just love Jazz guitar work like that!

Bing
                                  Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Bing,
                                    You're right, Wayman Tisdale does great work. I suggest checking out his "Power Forward" cd. It has excellent guitar work.

Also, another guitar great is Stanley Jordan. I have a lot his work but, my all time favorite is from his "Best of Stanley Jordan The Blue Note Years". Cut #2 is Eleanor Rigby. It's around seven minutes long and I swear you will think he is playing a private show just for you. IMO, the best guitar work ever!

I have been fortunate to live in two places (Seattle and now Baton Rouge) that jazz is big. While in Seattle, I had the chance to hear one of their natives (Korla Wygal) who sang at all the local jazz spots. She then got a shot on a local radio station. She dropeed a cd titled "Pefectly Korla" which kicked butt a long time in Seattle. I have know idea if she ever got any national air time but, if you can find her cd you will own a true gem. Her work is classified as Blues however, it sure doesn't give you the blues

Comment

• Susan
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

Kenny..just a comment on Janis Ian.

Used to love her music..bought every album from mid-60's ("Society's Child") up until around '82 and then stopped...while sometimes morose, the vocal quailty kept me coming back for more.

Last summer I caught a tiny ad in the paper that she would be at Lime Kiln Amphitheater that night. LKA is located in Lexington, Va, a small, historic town 30 miles from me where they filmed "Southersby". The Lime Kiln is a lime quarry on an old plantation dating back to way before the Civil War. It was given to Washington and Lee University 10 years ago and they have taken the excavated-out quarry areas, erected small stages, and conduct outdoor concerts and plays there..good location as not only W&L is there, but VMI as well. When acts are playing in DC and travelling south to head to Charlotte or Atlanta, we get them here.

We headed over with our quilt, paid out $10 ea, and watched Janis Ian give a the performance of my lifetime under the stars. This was definitely "unplugged"..only her accoustic guitar...and the resonance in that quarry combined with the crystal-clarity of her voice makes the hairs stand up on your neck.I had forgotten that I used to take a tape of her albums with me to buy speakers. Usually the production on her albums, particularly the early ones, tones down the production and projects her clear, beautiful voice to the front. What a delight!

You brought back the memory! Gonna dig out her albums..
                                      SS

Comment

• Susan
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

>

NO..where Joni's voice isn't the greatest and is known more for her lyrics, Janice's voice is clear, full ,and rich. Add that to stellar songwriting...she's a very stong talent. Huge career from '65 til '78..drugs and personal life kept interfering.She has written many songs for other stars that none of us realize..even for Bette Midler.
                                        Susan

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2000

Thanks Susan... You are most likely right. I didn't have a good comparater for Janice Ian, and Joni was the first name that popped in my head, style wise.

I like Joni's voice... It has this certain element just like Lorraine Segato's (Parachute club) as well. Could be because she's a hometown girl

Bing
                                          Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Bing have you tried any Patti Austin or Rebecca Pidgeon? You have to hear Patti's version of thomas dolbys "the ability to swing" its such a cool track and her voice is very clean. Rebecca Pidgeon's The Raven CD is one of cheskys and is a great CD both on music and how well its recorded. Once I get my burner I should send you some samples to try from different artisits I have. Actually that could be a cool thing to do amoungst a few of us if we're were interested. ie make a few copies of selected favorite songs on a CDR and mail them out to a group who in turn would do the same. We'd end up with quite a collection of songs we may never of heard of before.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"