X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • storello
    • Mar 2006

Too cheap to replace old CDs

As an "early adopter" type, I started collecting CDs in 1984. Most of these sound like crap so I've been trying to figure out how to fix my collection without replacing everything. Here are options I'm considering:

1) Rip them and fix them up on a PC. This is a daunting task with hundreds of CDs.

2) Replace what I can with SACD and/or DVD-A media.

3) Rip them to a PC and let software and a decent sound card attempt to fix the sound on the fly.

I don't really think there's anything out there that would do a decent job of automatically fixing the flaws so it looks like I'll need do some of option 2 and some of option 1. One other concern I have is the future of SACD and DVD-A. I've already bought some albums 2 times (record, CD) and I'm moving towards a 3rd. I certainly don't wish to replace the collection a 4th time if these formats die.

For example: My copy of Dire Straits - Brother in Arms will make your ears bleed. I know it's available on SACD, I'm sure that the master recording must be far better than my CD, and I like the music, so this is a no brainer - replace it.

Any ideas on what to do with the rest of the collection?
    Thanks,
    Sharon
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I thought you were looking to fix scratches and stuff. It sounds like you're wanting to improve the quality of the sound. I doubt you will find anything software based to really fix the sound, without having the masters to remix from.

Kevin D.

Comment

• storello
      • Mar 2006

You know, in hind sight I'm wondering why I upgraded my audio equipment. Year after year, was happy to blame my equipment, but now I'm learning that much of the problem is with the original CD. Oh well, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Despite the frequent "advice" that really good components make crap recordings sound even crappier, and therefore unlistenable to the ears of many such advice givers, I've found that top flight gear not only brings out the best in truly great recordings -- it lets you enjoy what there is to savor in poorly recorded material too.

Assuming the equoipmeht you are using is providing sufficient, but not exaggeratedly clinical detail on the good recordings, if it is accentuating noise and distortion in poorer quality recordings, the answer is not to mush down the music with "warmer" or "more musical sounding" equipment. The best noise filter in existence is our brain. If we concentrate on the music rather obsessing on the non-musical "details" that are also captured in the recording, it is possible to enjoy the performance even if most of what comes out of the speaker sounds like static the first few seconds of listening.

Of course, if the recording OMITS some of the musical detail, then better equipment is not going to be able to recreate it. Even then, it is still possible to appreciate what the artist intended even if only in "outline" form.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke
          equoipmeht
          Is that the new Russian line of audio/video equipment? :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Yes -- that's how it's spelled when you are "Russian" to get it posted... :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• storello
              • Mar 2006

:-)

Thanks for the feedback. Actually one of my biggest complaints is simply the huge range in volume between CDs. Just try putting playing a random mix of tracks recorded at their original levels from CDs produced in 1984 and 2005 without adjusting the volume. Go ahead, I dare ya ;-) I can't even deal with it when listening in my car.

I think I could at least the volume without sacrificing fidelity too much but it will still take a significant effort.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                • Jan 2004

I have mine ripped to my hard drive with EAC and Accurip add-on for a bit perfect copy, then select "Normalize" on my computer playback software (J Rivers MC10) and Viola, almost perfection, still have to adjust the volume a bit but not to the point of bothering me. Also a touch of digital EQ can or up mixing can add some punch to dull sounding CD's

The new card by SoundBlaster (X-Fi series) has a good processor built in to make all your CD's sound better and it actually works pretty well, I tried it for a week then returned it because it wouldn’t support pass-through like it said it would.

Also Auzentech has a new card that can automatically convert your 2-ch PCM ripped discs to DTS 5.1 which might be quite a nice upgrade, I’m think about giving this card a try next.
                My Center Channel Project

Comment

• storello
                  • Mar 2006

I've been whining about this problem in another thread so I thought it would be good to reference my latest find here too. I found a really slick program that fixes mp3 files and I ran it through my collection. Much, Much better!! And it was free :-) Check out the "Fix-up MP3 files?" thread in "Tower of Power" if you'd like more details.

As far as other adjustments to the recordings, I've decided to leave them as-is and replace odies-but-goodies that are available in SACD or DVD-A.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"