X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Heads up on a system-demo quality disk -- Prokoviev's Romeo and Juliet

While there have been a number of excellent recordings of the complete score for the ballet of Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev and the three suites that Prokofiev extracted for concert performances, there is one which I believe will stand out in years to come as an orchestral tour de force that will test the limits of your system's capabilities. It will also be quite enjoyable as a musical experience. The lyrical passages are heartrendingly beautiful; the dramatic passages are a "wild ride", but never "out of control".

I'm talking about a new recording by Paavo Jarvi and the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra on Telarc to be released 10/28/2003. How can I be so confident about it's stellar qualities if it hasn't been released yet? I've already heard it. Robert Woods, the president of Telarc, used excerpts from it as part of his demo of surround SACD this past Thursday at Houston's Audio Concepts.

Originally posted by Telarc
    Long hailed for his impassioned interpretations and musical precision, conductor Paavo Jarvi conducts the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra in all three of Sergei Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet orchestral suites in this voluptuous new recording.
    For more infomation on the Telarc release: Telarc Romeo and Juliet . Oddly, their site only has info on the forthcoming CD, while the demo was of the SACD. Either one will be a "knockout" addition to your music collection.

I've enjoyed Lorin Maazel's electrifying performance with the Cleveland Orchestra (sensational sonics on a Decca CD), the fairly traditional rendition by the Kirov Orchestra of Leningrad conducted by Valery Gergiev (decent sound in an all-digital recording on Philips), and a few more, including the one on DVD with Rudolf Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn dancing in their 1966 performance with the Royal Ballet. I can state unequivocally that the dancers would just sit down and listen with jaws dropped to the beauty and vigor of the performance by Jarvi and the Cincinnati. I recommend that you do the same, as soon as it is commercially available.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Once again, I head to the car to go to Best Bu. . . okay, maybe not quite yet. :

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Thanks Burke,

Gonna keep my eye open for the recording.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"