X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Mysteries of CD Revealed

Well, maybe not all of them, but... :>)

I thought it was interesting that one "expert" predicts that CDs will be defunct as a format within five years, while, in answer to the same question, another "expert" says downloading and other formats have been way overrated.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Well, it was an interesting read, Burke.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Q. Will music downloads replace pre-recorded CDs? When?

A. Lee Trink, vice president for marketing at Lava Records: The CD format will be defunct in five years. Maybe it won't be gone entirely by then, but it won't be the main format anymore. Who wants to have CDs when you'll be able to download 4,000 songs into something the size of a deck of cards?

Uh, let me see. . . anybody that wants ANYTHING resembling good quality audio? What a loser! :loser:

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
        Uh, let me see. . . anybody that wants ANYTHING resembling good quality audio? What a loser! :loser:
        Well, at the rate things are going in terms of hard disk storage capacities, in 5 years that "deck of cards" will likely be able to hold 4000 songs in uncompressed PCM, or a lossless compressed format. In other words, CD quality. So he could be right. Think iPod in '08.

What I see down the road, unless the record companies get off their butts and start offering online distribution of purchased music, is that the CD will primarily be the media the music comes home on, but not what the music is played from.

Down the road I could see having a whole house audio system run off a file server that houses my entire music collection on hard drives. When I get a new CD (or purchased downloaded music file) it would be archived on the server for future use, and the CD put away for safe keeping.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"