X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I finally own a piece of Krall's work.

This is an extremely well engineered disc. Vocals as well as instruments, sound very natural. Even the crowd noise seemed very real to me.

I am not quite as happy with the vocal performance. While the overall sound from the band is very nice, Ms. Krall just did not seem emotional enough, when it came to singing it. Every song sounds like she has no motive or drive to make them interesting. Though her vocals are very controlled, and seems to have perfect pitch, there is more to singing than that.

Now, her piano play is entirely different story. That is something she is very good at.

I hope that her other work, shows a little more range in her vocal talents. And...a lot more emotion.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

John, that's EXACTLY the way I felt about her Look Of Love CD. Technically, very impressive but it came across flat to me. I haven't played it since the first time. Maybe I'm just looking for something a little different. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
      Maybe I'm just looking for something a little different. . . .
      Maybe you are looking for Patricia Barber or Holly Cole or Jane Monheit or Patricia O'Callaghan or Sarah McLachlan or Loreena McKennitt or...

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Guess I'm the oddball out here. I love her Look Of Love cd, but wasn't really all that excited about the Live In Paris dvd.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I admit this is the first of her work that I have been able to really give a good listen to. Other's have only been samples. With all the rave reviews, I was really shocked by what I "didn't" hear.

Maybe you are looking for Patricia Barber or Holly Cole or Jane Monheit or Patricia O'Callaghan or Sarah McLachlan or Loreena McKennitt or...
          I'm a Holly Cole fan. Even she as "different" as she sounds, manages to keep interested in what may follow.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"