X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Music CD's Birthday?

Hey, a little debate broke out here at the office. What year were music CD's introduced for the public to buy?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here you are David. Should be all the ammo you need! :B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

David -

Here's another resource:

...this history of CD indicates that it was launched in Europe and Japan in the fall of 1982 but didn't reach the US until the spring of 1983.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks guys.

What started this off was one guys comment about my spending practices in acquiring 500+ albums, 600+ CD's and 340 DVD's. I pointed out that I've been collecting albums since about 1970 and CD's from the mid-80's. Off we went! These guys were saying that CD's hadn't been introduced until the late 80's. Hah. I tried to tell them that I got my first CD deck in Sept. 1985, but they didn't believe me.

It'd really gotten fun if I'd told 'em that I'd gotten rid of around 300 albums as I replaced them on CD! Don't groan, I know, I know. I should have kept them.

edited for content: 08/08/2002

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Glad to help out David!

I bought my first player early 86'. What's funny, I owned a laserdisc player before I owned a cd player. It took me a bit to accept that cd's were good for me. :LOL:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Same here, John. I still lean a little toward vinyl in my preferences.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I still lean a little toward vinyl in my preferences

Unfortunately, so do I. Unfortunate in the sense that I got rid of all those albums after getting caught up on the technology wave of CD's. If I'd heard vinyl played on a proper system earlier, I'd still have a lot (all?) of those "goners".

Oh, I got the date on my CD deck wrong. It was September of '85.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Hey David,

What did your friends say when you gave them the info about cd's consumer dates?

Oh, I understand about getting rid of those babies a little early. I let a few go thinking that I may move on too! Glad we came to our senses before it was too late.

George,

I wish I could afford to truly due my vinyl justice with better 2ch equipment. The biggest thrill of it for me now, is having all the hard to find stuff. And not having to purchase it again to enjoy it. Even on my system, albums still sound pretty good!

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

John,

I haven't had the chance to gloat yet! Now I'm at our offices on the West side of town. Maybe tomorrow.

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"