X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sarah Brightman

I recently came to obtain Sarah Brightman's CD La Luna and have been listening to it extensively at work on my headphones. For those not familiar with who she is Sarah's had a huge career on the musical Broadway circuit incl playing in the Phantom of the opera and many other popular shows. There's a ton of info on this site and on Amazon here if you're interested in learning more about her as a musician. I've not heard any of her other CD's other then those on the various musical sound tracks I own. Anyway moving onto the CD in hand La Luna. This is an interesting mix of Sarah’s powerful voice and emotional mood swinging music. There's a cover of the old Scarborough Fair song made popular by Simon and Garfunkle which I quite like as well as a few other familiar songs. All in all though I'm getting drawn into this CD deeper and deeper the more I listen to it. Obviously its not going to be for everyone but if you happen to enjoy listening to Andrew Lloyd Webber's style of music (she was married to him for 6 years) you'll enjoy this one immensely

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew,

I did pick this one up at lunch today and have listened to it once here at the office. It is a very melodic tranquil piece for the most part. I'll take it home this weekend and give it a more in depth listen (my next-door neighbor heard it and asked if he could listen to it this PM). Thanks for the good recommendation.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Tonight I introduced sarah to my maggies to see how the two ladies got along In short I put sarah up against diana krall and holly cole for sound quality and unfortunatly on my system which tends to be very unforgiving the La luna CD doesn't sound as clean as either Diana or Paula do on my system. Its not so much that its a bad recording just that her voice is a lot higher then either of the other two ladies and the CD in general sounded a fair bit more bright which isn't as laid back as a smoother sounding CD. Now that's not to say I don't like the disc, I do but its not one I would list as being of reference quality which is a shame given the obvious tallent sarah has.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Andrew,

I'm a fan of Holly Cole. How does Sarah compare in style? Sorry but I'm not familiar with Andrew Lloyd Webber's music.

And I still enjoy Scarborough Fair everytime I hear it. A classic for sure.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

not familar with webber 8O if you're interested I'd suggest picking up one of his best of CD's ...here's one I'd suggest the best of ALW

Anyway for comparing sarah to holly its difficult given that holly tends to sing more jazz whereas sarah comes from a more classical/operatic side so this CD has some pop type songs but with sarah's higher pitched voice. let me see if I can find an MP3 that you can listen to to get a feel for her style....if you goto this link on Amazon you'll see a track listing...if you click on one of those it should start playing on real player...I got an error just a momnet ago but it should be back online soon.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Ok I placed one of here cuts as a wma file on my website...it might take a while to download (4.5 megs) Its located by clicking here

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Okay, first Webber. I had no idea that most of the songs that you linked to were/are his. I've enjoyed most of them (especially the Superstar soundtrack) most of my late 60's through early 70's life. It amazing how you can be familiar with someone's work, yet still have no clue as to whom they are!

Sarah - This Love, was awesome! It is the kind of music that I enjoy but, my wife hates. 8) She hates it when I crank this genre up loud, which is how I like to hear it most of the time. I just got her in the last year or so, to appreciate the likes of Koz, Spyro and such.

Anyway, thanks for the education. And the link for Sarah was no problem as I run a cable modem. I'll add her to my list for pick up next week.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Ok since you liked the first one here's scarborough fair

Scarborough Fair

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

John, gotta agree with ya. Track 12 "This Love" is the best on the disc.

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Track 12 "This Love" is the best on the disc.
                    That's why I picked it

So what are your thoughts on the rest of the CD david?

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by David in an earlier post
                      It is a very melodic tranquil piece for the most part. I'll take it home this weekend and give it a more in depth listen (my next-door neighbor heard it and asked if he could listen to it this PM).

I got the CD back a few minutes ago so my in-depth listening session for this weekend is on.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Thanks Andrew.

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Definitely a thumbs-up on this CD!

I sat down Friday evening, spun it up, and go to know Ms. Brightman a lot better. Listening to it at work on the PC did not do this CD any justice. It needs more horsepower than I had there. Getting it on the home system brought out a ton of detail and complexity missing earlier. I enjoyed almost every track. The ones that left me wanting were the covers of Scarborough Fair and A Whiter Shade Of Pale. Oh well, hitting on 13 out of 15 is great as far as I'm concerned.

Her classical training is evident in the range she carries and the clarity of her voice. The instrumental portions are soothing, involving, and sometimes a little adventurous as they reach into New Age weaves. I liked it!

David - HTGuide flunky
                          Our "Theater"
                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Glad you liked it David...its addictive though and I find I'm listening to her a lot now...(like every time I'm in the car, at work on the head phones and at home on the big system) ...and I agree about whiter shade of pale being a great track

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

8) Addictive is right! After 3 weeks, I can't get this CD out of my head! I've been playing it at home until the family is about ready to boot me out the door.

Thanks again Andrew. It's a good'un!

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

That's funny david my wife is about to kick me out the door as well...luckily we're moving so its all ok

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"