X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Today we mourn the loss of BB King, the King of the Blues

It's a sad day in Bluesville. The King is gone. BB King passed away at his home in Las Vegas Nevada. Though he had been in hospice care. I guess he decided he wanted to go home one last time. If the news reported accurately. I hope that Lucille was close at hand.

This is a really sad day.

His influence on my life has been long. The guitarist that I first put a band together with in 1973 was a huge BB King fan. Yes, we played a lot of blues, we jammed a lot of blues. It was Chris's love, he loved BB King, and the blues. I am so glad I got exposed to that then. I am sure Chris has loved him all these years, and I am sure he feels the loss deeply today.

I am feeling it pretty bad myself.

RIP BB King, we will miss you and Lucille forever.

DW
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

His Twitter account announced a week or two ago that was in hospice.
    He passed peacefully & with all the dignity he deserved.

The King is dead, long live the King.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

A great artist for sure. RIP
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

A great artist and very influential in the music scene even very late in his life. Sad to see him go, but he sure made the most of his life.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Respect.

The thrill is gone today, baby. The thrill is gone.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Here is an original Blues Tribute to BB King by me. Lyrics, all guitar parts, drums, and bass... I have written a tribute song to BB King. Original lyrics, very basic blues rhythm. Me on guitar (2 parts), bass, and drums... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8x...ew?usp=sharing This is my first attempt at writing lyrics and singing. Well, it is partially spoken, more of a ballad, than a true song I guess.
            Doug

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Ya know, the ink was not even dry on the death certificate before my in-box was full of 'Special Offers' from merchants such as elusive disc for B B King's music.

While I can understand how there may be sincere good will of those who are prompted to acquire his music upon hearing of his passing, I can not help but be disgusted by those who would take opportunity to capitalize financially from such blatant marketing practices.

We could probably debate till the cows come home both sides of this topic.

It was just the immediacy of the advertising which rubbed me coarsely in a rather sensitive area of my posterior.

Then again, it could just be this old curmudgeon battling the windmills of this new age of instantaneous, world-wide communication & reaction where capitalist values vie to take maximum advantage of every possible opportunity, whether it be sacrosanct or otherwise.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I can imagine that Bill. I just did something that was on my mind this week, I felt the end was coming, and I started writing my lyrics before BB died, they were still present tense, until he passed. Friday evening, I went into edit and production mode, and turned it out. There's no financial gain planned on this. It's just a tribute from the heart.
                Doug

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I always remember the chapter from U2's "Rattle and Hum" where he plays "When Love Comes to Town" with them, live on stage. Good stuff.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

It's hard to pick a particular performance as a tribute to BB so here's just one of the many, off his 1967 "Blues is King" album. I played the CD earlier this evening. Some of you may be shocked by the lyrics in this song.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

I can't leave you with that one above, which isn't typical of BB once he grew up.

Here are two back-to-back songs from the Montreux 1993 concert. I hope they encourage you to buy the Blu-ray disc, which is of excellent quality. I play these two songs to guitar / blues lovers often. The second song is of interest because of the string change mid-song.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Nigel.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

I heard that one the other day Nigel, it is a little out there. (the first one) Thanks for the links.
                        Doug

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Here's a nice one. BB King with Eric Clapton, and Gladys Knight right before that... Stevie Ray Vaughn, and others. Even Phil Collins on drums.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"