X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

Concerts!

Name the top 5 concerts you have attended... and if you are feeling frisky... tell us why.

(I don't care if this has been a thread before, this place needs some new posts!)
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • H.T.C
    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
    Name the top 5 concerts you have attended... and if you are feeling frisky... tell us why.

(I don't care if this has been a thread before, this place needs some new posts!)
    Blue oyster cult
    J Guiles band wth blue oyster cult and rick derringer also rainbow (they did not show up so cult closed the show).
    Rush
    Electric light orchestra
    Deep purple (opening act areosmith)
    Black sabbath (opening act van halen)
    Robert

Comment

• greenhorn
      • Feb 2007

A few were the best, a few were just memorable, one (the first) was a disaster.

04/02/76 Chicago - This one was crazy and I was a very foolish young fellow. I was 14, first year of high school and had a girlfriend that went to another high school. Her older brother was going and we were going to go too. My Mom and sister took me and dropped me off. I had gotten 2 fifths of Southern Comfort and snuck them in inside a big coat I had. Well it went poorly. I drink one of the down, had to take a leak so bad I really considered just doing it on the sly from my seat (and no not in my pants). I don't know what the hell I was thinking, but I still remember contimplating that for some reason. Went to the bathroom and coming back couldn't find where we were sitting. I think I wandered around for quite a while. Finally found my seat as things were wrapping up. It was all a blur. Not a boast on this one, just the way it went down. ops:

08/05/79 Cheap Trick, U.F.O., Blue Oyster Cult, Pat Travers - One of those big outdoor things in the summer. Baked all day in the sun, baked all day with a lot of the the cheapest, weakest WL ever.

09/25/81 Allman Brothers - This was a good concert, me and a buddy at a fairly small outdoor venue. Started in the late afternoon and went into the evening. Very Good.

04/08/89 Crowded House - This was in support of their 2nd album. Roger McGuinn opened, and after he played some quiet numbers solo from his new solo album, Crowded House joined him onstage for Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn, and Eight Miles High. It was a great show.

09/08/91 Richard Thompson - He was opening for Crowded house on this tour, supporting Rumor and Sigh. Did most of his show solo. His might have been the best performance I ever saw live.

I've seen Pearl Jam twice... they're last 2 tours. My daughter and I went to them both together . During the first one I went to get someting to drink and told her not to breath as there was something in the air the row n front of us :roll: she thought that was pretty funny. I think she was 17 or so. The second one was about 2 years ago, excellent show ;x( She was a little burned out as she had been to a concert the night before.

I descretely accompanied here to 3 or 4 small all ages shows here in town when she was younger. I was handy for standng in the merchendise line and buy eats afterward. Saw a few decent bands, don't really recall them.

There are a bunch of other that I really don't have the best recollection of :roll:

Umm -

04/05/78 Foghat, Eddie Money (Ole' Eddie fell down on stage more than once)

04/23/78 Mahogany Rush, Judas Priest (Rob was riding the Harley out on stage at this time)

02/13/80 Jefferson Starship (loudest concert I've ever been to)

09/15/83 Elvis Costello

Dido a couple of years ago. She was prettty good.

A few I've completely forgotten?

Yean I know I went over 5 :Z Slow day at work here. Tried to keep it entertaining.

There is a really neat web site someone put together that I used to come up with the dates of some of the shows. Fun as it also had small pictures of the concert posters, venue info and stuff.

jon moore, jon moore experience, jon moore presents, san diego concert archive

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

First concert-1976-KISS (first run-in with perception altering chemicals , also.)
        Any two of the Ted Nugent concerts I attended between 1977 and 1980-something. (saw him about a dozen times)
        The Nugent concert opened by Pat Travers and The Scorpions.
        Somewhere in the mid-eighties , in order of appearance at the same concert , Freewheelin'(local band) , Foghat , Motorhead , Blue Oyster Cult , Heart. Reference footnotes from first concert.....
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JHILE
          • Feb 2007

Top 5
          1. Pink Floyd 5/94 (Clemson, SC) Only time i got to see them, simply an amazing show.
          2. Phish 12/31/99 (Big Cypress) Huge (80,000 people) festival to ring in the new millenium.
          3. Bonnaroo, 2002 The first one, so much great music in one weekend. Everyone should go once, but that's it.
          4. Phil & friends w/ Allman Bros. 7/2001 (Charlotte, NC) Scorching hot all day, both bands put on a great show.
          5. Grateful Dead 3/1995 Last Grateful Dead show I saw, not the best, but the most memorable.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

As far as rock concerts:

Robin Trower; the Guess Who opened (1974)

Roy Buchanan (1975)

Gerry Garcia sitting in with Pure Prairie League (1976)

Marshal Tucker Band (1979)

Steely Dan -a friend was the lighting engr and my wife and I got to sit with the mixing crew- one of the best shows of any type I have ever been to (2002)

Citizen Cope (2007)

Honorable mention has to go to Arlo Guthrie (1977)

The all time best event I have ever seen or heard is by far the opera Aida, performed at the Roman Bathes in Rome. At the opening of one act, a four-horse-drawn chariot came out on to the stage at what had to have been full gallop. Everything about that show was beyond any sense of scale imaginable.
            Last edited by wkhanna; 10 November 2008, 23:02 Monday.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Oh man that's tough.

1 - Texas World Music Festival at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. 1979 (maybe?): Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, Boston, Heart... and more

2 - Def Leppard - the Hysteria tour in the round. 2nd row seats - WOW.

3 - Jonny Lang - the Lie To Me tour. A smaller venue show in Houston. You could see and feel every lick (on his guitar - perverts : )

4 - a little known group called Axe - their Living On The Edge tour. A good band with a great show. A fatal auto accident stopped them before they were really noticed.

5 - George Michael - the Faith tour. An amazing show with a great band and a great voice.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Haven't been to many considering that I live "away" from it all. But ... I'll tell ya about some good memories:

1980: Suzi Quatro - 3 Arts Theatre, Cape Town, South Africa

This was during my early student life. My car was a '69 beat up VW Beetle. I had a Pioneer tape deck & all of Suzi's music on cassette. Used to play her music on the car sound system till the tapes either stretched or snapped, whichever happened first. Seeing her live was :T !

1992: Dire Straits - Olympic Stadium, Munich, Germany

Probably one of my best memories ever! Wife & I were in Munich for one night as part of a tour group. While the rest of the group went to a Beer Garden, we walked to the stadium which was about an hour from the hotel. Arrived late (but before the main show) & bought two random tickets from some people outside the stadium. Even though the tickets were for different seats, we found enough space to be together on the stadium. Rocked hard that night. Very hard!

1996 - Bread - Cape Town, South Africa

David Gates & Co represented some of the best memories of music that I used to listen to growing up as a kid and at the time of first romances. Great to have had the opportunity to see them live.

2005 - Diana Ross - Cape Town, South Africa

Awesome person & awesome singer. A superb and energetic show.

2008 - Elton John - Cape Town, South Africa

2½ Hours of piano-playing brilliance. Need I say more.
                Attached Files

Comment

• fishhead64
                  • Nov 2008

OK dates are a mystery, but:

Talking Heads Stop Making Sense tour, Rochester NY (reason self explanatory!)

Stevie Ray Vaughan Stone Pony Asbury Park NJ AND in NYC at the Pier. - i was sitting at the bar in the stone pony about 10 feet away, he played and played and played full blast full tilt unbelievable)

Grateful Dead 1981 Buffalo NY, (first show of a hundred or so, saw the Stones the next day with David Johannson and george thorogood? it rained for the opening acts and we were wiped out from the dead show the night before...didn't sleep much)

Bela Fleck/Flecktones NYC (wetlands? can't remember...mid 90's?) I just love small venues over arenas and stadiums. I think it was St. Patrick's day in NYC. My wife surprised me with tickets and we were to go in for the parade but apparently my boss told my wife that he couldn't spare me for the full day, but he'd let me take a half day. Nice guy. I no longer work for him.

10,000 maniacs BJ's Fredonia NY. Stood about 3 feet from the band drinking out of a pitcher at a tiny bar when I was a freshman or sophomore. They came around alot back then. Bars, the campus center, other local colleges. Saw them many times.

REM Buffalo State, also mid 80's with Billy Bragg, he was also real good.
                  Last edited by fishhead64; 14 December 2008, 00:57 Sunday. Reason: added details

Comment

• DeanP
                    • May 2004

The BEST one was at a complex where they sold alcohol!
                    It started out with Doucette, then BTO and finished off with Meatloaf. He played his entire "Bat out of Hell" album. A great memory! Don't know if it was all the beer or what, but it was a lot of fun and good ole' tunes. :T

The worst concert I went to was ZZ Top; sucked totally! And then there was Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks was totally zooed; made for a bad impression of a band I really liked at the time...

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Ah, Meatloaf, yes, I have one of his albums and really like it. Good voice. But I've always wondered what possessed that guy to give himself that name.

"hmmmm.... I need a stage name. How about Chicken Fingers! No? Uh.... Tuna Casserole? Mm........ Meatloaf? Yeah, that's the one!"
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• planitismetal
                        • Dec 2008

Sorry, but I'm now attending AC/DC in Athens (Greece) in 28-05-2009 or 05-28-2009 (for USA citizens )
                        :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y :-y
                        ;b> :banana: :banana: :banana:
                        :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Arrrrrghhh.... Jealous.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Let's see if I can remember the specifics.... I'll be luck if I can remember the year for some of these.

In no particular order....

The Kinks - National Stadium - Dublin 1991.

I love The Kinks and it was a great oppertunity to see them all together. A great night. They played 2 years later and a band I was involved with supported them!

Jeff Buckley - Whelan's - Dublin 1995.

An emotional night - I actually met Jeff that night at a party after the gig. Grace is one of the finest debut albums ever recored. I still sigh at his loss.

U2 - Croke Park - Dublin 2006.

Say no more - 4 nights @ 90000 a night. Special to see a home act in that setting.

Radiohead - Olympia - Dublin 1996.

A secret gig before they headlined a music festival in Galway. It was around the time OK Computer was released. An amazing and power gig. The energy was electric.

Paul McCartney - RDS - Dublin 2003.

Emotional this one. I was reared on the Beatles and to see and hear Paul play so many of the songs of my youth was very special indeed.

One last one....

Sufjan Stevens - Olympia - Dublin 2006.

I love the quirkiness and originality of the fellow. He's stage show is pure entertainment with strings, brass and multiple percussionists.... A worthy mention.

There are however, many, many more!
                            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Alloroc
                              U2 - Croke Park - Dublin 2006.
                              Oh so jealous. One of the remaining things I want to do before I die--a U2 concert in Dublin.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                Oh so jealous. One of the remaining things I want to do before I die--a U2 concert in Dublin.
                                Start planning..... There will be tour this year.... no dates yet.... but there will be a tour!

Have a quick listen to their new single.....

Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Yeah, I heard that one today. Sounds okay, hope the rest of the album is a bit better.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• MikeyH
                                    • Aug 2008

Same here. I've been to at least 20 U2 concert here in the states. Maybe my next U2 concert will be in Dublin.

Mike

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Well, tell ya what, Mike. You buy the Guinness, and I'll meet you in Dublin!

Seriously, I'm going to have to look into Dublin airfare whenever this next tour date gets announced. Would be a dream come true.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• MikeyH
                                        • Aug 2008

Well, tell ya what, Mike. You buy the Guinness, and I'll meet you in Dublin!

Seriously, I'm going to have to look into Dublin airfare whenever this next tour date gets announced. Would be a dream come true.
                                        That would be sweet :T . Guinness on me all you can drink :B

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"