• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Dave Brubeck - Take Five

Snap!

This disc is wicked make out music :T

Never crossed my mind that way before, had it for years.

It is one to groove to ;x(

Dang it was on tonight :5:
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hahahaha, I don't believe I've thought on those lines when hearing it. But, I'm glad it works for you. :T I'll have to play it this week and see if it leads me down that road!

No matter how you slice it, it's a great disc!!!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

A desert island recording for me, without question.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ovation
        A desert island recording for me, without question.
        Ok, I'm a little old and slow! What does this mean exactly?
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

It goes like this, John: "If you were on a dessert island, and could only have X number of (albums) CD's, what would they be?" I’m sure you have heard this hypothetical 'what if' before.

As far as the Take Five is concerned, I can't go more than a month without pulling this one out for a spin. Unfortunately, I am not sure I will ever be able to listen to it again without the image of greenhorn smooching with his SO coming to mind! :rofl:

BTW, the title track Take Five (scripted in the V unusual 5/4 time) was conceived as vehicle to highlight Joe Morello's percussion abilities, and was not intended as an 'A' side type composition. It is V unfortunate that 99% of the time this song is played, it is the 'short' Radio version that leaves out Joe's incredible drum solo. If anyone has not heard the uncut version, I strongly recommend you search it out and give it a listen. I use it as a reference track because of it's incredible subtlety combined with interjections of clear transitional percussive dynamics.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
            It goes like this, John: "If you were on a dessert island, and could only have X number of (albums) CD's, what would they be?" I’m sure you have heard this hypothetical 'what if' before.

As far as the Take Five is concerned, I can't go more than a month without pulling this one out for a spin. Unfortunately, I am not sure I will ever be able to listen to it again without the image of greenhorn smooching with his SO coming to mind! :rofl:

BTW, the title track Take Five (scripted in the V unusual 5/4 time) was conceived as vehicle to highlight Joe Morello's percussion abilities, and was not intended as an 'A' side type composition. It is V unfortunate that 99% of the time this song is played, it is the 'short' Radio version that leaves out Joe's incredible drum solo. If anyone has not heard the uncut version, I strongly recommend you search it out and give it a listen. I use it as a reference track because of it's incredible subtlety combined with interjections of clear transitional percussive dynamics.

Thank you, wkhanna! I was slower than I thought, should've put that together! :rofl:

Also, thanks for the brief history of the piece. I unaware of it's providence. It is without doubt an excellently conceived body of work!

I have not played this disc for some time now. I'm going to attempt to get it in tomorrow (so much NFL Playoffs, so little time!!!).

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

I just finished listening to it a few minutes ago, thankfully, I forgot all about greenhorn's interpretation! :W

Currently spinning 'The Duke Ellington Orchestra' - Digital Duke

Guest performers include: Brandford Marsalis, Eddie Daniels, Clark Terry, Roland Hanna, et.al.
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Okay, an opinion like that, and I'll add it to my Amazon wish list! :T

Whenever I think of 5/4 time, I always think of the original Mission Impossible theme song. Very masterfully done, especially the way it weaves in and out from 5/4 to 4/4.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Looking on Amazon, it looks like there are several options. Which of these, (or others) would you recommend?

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

wkhanna,

That "Digital Duke" sounds interesting!

Chris D,

I own "Time Out". I can easily suggest it. Not just a very good CD, well mastered to boot!!!

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

Hi Chris!

I think you may like the Carnegie album, but remember, you won't get the original studio unabridged recording of the Take Five track with this album, and as with many older jazz recordings, especially live recordings, the sound quality will not always be what you are used to with more modern/later recordings. This isn't always the case, and some remastered discs can sound better, but just cuz a record says 'Remastered' doesn’t always mean it will sound 'Better'. Unfortunately, it is used as a marketing device in far too many cases.

This is the CD I play most often, where you will hear the original Take Five track along with the original tape hiss on V low level portions, but for me, I seem to adapt to this extrainious noise in short order, and it never has detracted from the 'essance' of the music. I often recommend this very CD to anyone who says ‘I don’t know much about jazz, what would you suggest as a good place to start?’

I also have this CD: 25th Anniversary Reunion

This is a live recording, and the SQ is quite good, but you may be a little disappointed in the 'Take Five' track, as there is quite a bit of improvisation (as is to be expected with jazz artists in general, and as such offers a great variety of interpretations of the same song on different albums) so if you want the hear the unabridged original, you won’t find it here. But you get a great live recording that truly displays the ‘atmosphere’ of a live show in the intimate setting of the stereotypical small jazz club.
                      For a Live recording of the Brubeck Q, I highly recommend this album. The Q are well seasoned, and show that they are still at the zenith of their craft, displaying the art of creating more music with less notes, this being one of the true talents of this group of artists.
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Brubeck's solo SACD Pvt. Brubeck Remembers is also worth getting (Telarc). Not a jazz tour de force but it is certainly evocative of the period he covers (the Second World War era). I like to listen to it to unwind, often on Sunday nights after the kids are in bed, with a good single malt.

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

Good enough for me, and besides, an excuse to pour a single malt.
                          I just ordered a ‘previously enjoyed’ copy on Amazon.
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by John Holmes

That "Digital Duke" sounds interesting!
                            Of course, this is the band that posthumously carries the Duke’s name and carries on his legacy.
                            V high energy, swinging with high horse power, and excellent SQ.
                            If anyone doesn’t start grinning ear-to-ear and tap’n their toe when you put this on, call 911 first and then check for a pulse!
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• greenhorn
                              • Feb 2007

Ha

My most popular thread on this board so far... go figure :rofl:

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

FWIW, I was watching my Blu-Ray disc "Legends of Jazz" yesterday. Found out that Brubeck is on it, and other performers doing an acapella scat version of "Take Five". Other great performances too. Man, that disc rocks. (lossless Dolby TrueHD, too)

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• tbyrne
                                  • Jan 2008

Take Five

What a great record - one of my Desert Island picks, too. My Sunday morning coffe and a paper album. On the subject of make-out music, I think I read somewhere that the saxophonist on the record was quite the ladies' man.

Comment

• Ovation
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                                    FWIW, I was watching my Blu-Ray disc "Legends of Jazz" yesterday. Found out that Brubeck is on it, and other performers doing an acapella scat version of "Take Five". Other great performances too. Man, that disc rocks. (lossless Dolby TrueHD, too)

This disc alone may make me take the plunge into Blu-ray earlier than I'd intended (now, if only I could find one that internally decodes lossless tracks and isn't plagued by too many shortcomings at a reasonable price).

Comment

• Gremal
                                      • Apr 2007

This disc alone may make me take the plunge into Blu-ray earlier than I'd intended (now, if only I could find one that internally decodes lossless tracks and isn't plagued by too many shortcomings at a reasonable price).
                                      It's called the PS3. :T
                                      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• wkhanna
                                        • Jan 2006

Just finished listening to this for the first time.
                                        Wonderful!
                                        Thanks for the recommendation, Ovation!
                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Gremal
                                          It's called the PS3. :T
                                          I don't have an HDMI receiver--so it's not ideal.

Comment

• Ovation
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

Wonderful!
                                            You're welcome.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by greenhorn
                                              Snap!

This disc is wicked make out music :T

Never crossed my mind that way before, had it for years.

It is one to groove to ;x(

Dang it was on tonight :5:

Now I'm going to feel dirty when I listen to this during thanksgiving with the family, as is (maybe now was) family tradition.
                                              Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

Brubeck's solo SACD Pvt. Brubeck Remembers is also worth getting (Telarc). Not a jazz tour de force but it is certainly evocative of the period he covers (the Second World War era). I like to listen to it to unwind, often on Sunday nights after the kids are in bed, with a good single malt.

Wonderful!
                                                I have enjoyed this album many times and would like to return the favor.

This is one of the CD’s I consistently go to when I am looking to go to that special place of peace, quiet and serenity. The story behind its conception is a sad one, but the music is so transcending, you will never want to be without this composition of work in your collection.

Oscar Walden Jr. Sextet

A Tribute To A Vietnam Hero: Milton Lee Olive III A.K.A. 'Skipper'

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

I did just get this one from Amazon, and do really like it. Very impressive musical composition skills for the writers, and nice, laid back performances by the musicians.
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

I have enjoyed this album many times and would like to return the favor.

This is one of the CD’s I consistently go to when I am looking to go to that special place of peace, quiet and serenity. The story behind its conception is a sad one, but the music is so transcending, you will never want to be without this composition of work in your collection.

Oscar Walden Jr. Sextet

A Tribute To A Vietnam Hero: Milton Lee Olive III A.K.A. 'Skipper'

Just ordered it from Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation. Glad you're enjoying the Brubeck.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

Funny, I can't find that disc on Amazon. got a reference?
                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Sep 2004

Funny, I can't find that disc on Amazon. got a reference?
                                                        Took me awhile to find it but this should be it:

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2006

I grabbed the Take Five album yesterday have to say that song is awesome! Definitely enjoying it.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Sep 2004

I've had it for years but I finally upgraded to the MCH SACD when I ordered the "Skipper" disc recommended above. Looking forward to each of them.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Wait... there's an SACD version? Arrrrrrgh... wish I had found that before I ordered it!

Thanks for the link! They pulled out some words from both the artist and album name, that must be why my searches couldn't find it.
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2004

Wait... there's an SACD version? Arrrrrrgh... wish I had found that before I ordered it!

Thanks for the link! They pulled out some words from both the artist and album name, that must be why my searches couldn't find it.
                                                                There is an SACD of Brubeck--I don't think there is one of "Skipper"--nothing on SACD.net, anyway.

If you're referring to Brubeck, it would only be worth it, IMO, if you want the MCH version. My CD is perfectly fine for a 2 channel.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                  • Dec 2006

It's odd, I was looking for some of his stuff my grandfather had on record, and I can't find it. Time In Outer Space and Blues Roots are two awesome Brubeck records. Why aren't they available?

Sigh.
                                                                  Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"