Can anyone recommend a good strings orchestra album?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Can anyone recommend a good strings orchestra album?

Lately, I've been in the mood to listen to some music with either lots of bass/chello solos, or music mainly composed with string instrument. Mainly bass and/or chellos, slow and/or fast, with a bow or plucking. The only strings I have is from Bach or Mozart, but it's not really what I'm looking for. So any recommendations is appreciate. Thanks.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

audioqueso,

I wish I could help here. Since I only own two classical disc, and those are compilations to boot, I doubt that I'd be much service.

You may read through the "Sticky" thread for hi-rez music at the top of the In Tune section. Burke as well as many others have posted quite a few classical listings. Most have very good reviews that should allow you to make a choice on something new. If you do not have hi-rez capabilities, I'm sure the redbook versions are available.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

There's a Linn SACD with a collection of Sibelius pieces that has the best string sound I know.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Thanks John. Well, I have my share of classical (mainly the famous ones, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc..) any there are some nice scores with strings, but nothing for what I'm looking for.

Kal, do you have the title of the album you are referring to? I don't have a SACD player. I would like to give that a try.

I guess another thing I could do is sample a bunch of CDs at Amazon for anything coming up under Cello. Perhaps. I'll post my findings and maybe someone who already owns it can comment on it. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
          Kal, do you have the title of the album you are referring to? I don't have a SACD player. I would like to give that a try.
          Well, I googled "Linn SACD Sibelius" and the first item returned is: http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...usic-sacd.aspx :roll:
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Ohhhh.. I found what I'm looking for; Vivaldi. Anyone ever listen to him? Awesome stuff. Dark, colorful, powerful, and soothing all at the same time.

Vivaldi: Cello Concertos

Vivaldi's Cello

I love the first CD. It has just what I've been looking for. The cello's has that "creeping power" sound to it. I bet this CD would sound sooooo good on the 800-802! I only have my Nautilus 805s matched with a Velodyne sub, bu that's ok. My sub sounds really good music involving the double bass and cello. I can't wait to hear the whole album!

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

If your looking to broaden your horizons, and interested in cello music, I might recommend:

Yo-Yo Ma - Appalachia Waltz
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                If your looking to broaden your horizons, and interested in cello music, I might recommend:

Yo-Yo Ma - Appalachia Waltz
                Broaden my horizon? lol No... that's not my goal, thank you. I just get in the mood for certain types of sound every now and then. I did listen to a couple Yo-Yo Ma CDs at Amazon. I did like what I heard. I found these CDs listen more of what I feel like listening to. Thank you for the recommendation. I may go ahead and buy your recommendation anyways.

Comment

• Gremal
                  • Apr 2007

Don't miss the Heifetz double concertos SACD that recently came out (RCA/BMG/Sony SACD).

For incredible small ensemble string recording, check out the Beethoven Lindsay string quartet (ASV SACD).

For a virtuoso violinist in an orchestral setting, check out the Isaac Stern reading of the Tchaikovsky and Brahms violin concertos (Columbia/Sony SACD).

For a virtuoso cellist in an orchestral setting, check out the Peter Wispelwey reading of Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saƫns, and Bruch (Channel Classics SACD).

For classic solo cello and cello/violin duets, the Janos Starker readings of the bach cello suites are an absolute must-have (Mercury SACD).

Plenty more where these came from, but they are all incredible performances and GREAT recordings.
                  Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                  Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                  B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                  VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                  Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"