X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

12 String nightmare !

You know......I finally got the courage to sit down and re-string my 12 string acoustic. It's quite the project and I usually avoid it as long as possible :M . It's kinda' like working with spaghetti really. The effort pays off in the end with fantastic, clear sound with fantastic overtones...etc.

Every time I re-string a guitar, I realize how much of a 'physical' job it is. I mean, you would think that with a fine, fragile instrument that changing strings would be a 'delicate' procedure but when you get down to doing it, you realize that it's really not. It's a physical, pulling, turning and cranking procedure and there's nothin' delicate about it. It's a get down and dirty thing and it's somewhat annoying!!

Only after does your guitar return to being a fine, delicate, and great sounding instrument :T

I have two pieces of advice for anybody using a stringed instrument (ie. Guitar). If possible, use extended play strings. They cost more but they pay for themselves with their lastability which means you change the strings less often. After you play the guitar, rub the strings down with a soft cloth, back and forth up and down the fretboard a few times. Believe it or not, your strings will last twice as long if you do this simple procedure!! :T

Now off to play my brand new sounding 12 string pictured here!!!:W
    Dan Madden :T
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, I am barely an acoustic guy, so 12 strings just don't appeal to me for the very reason you mention, re-string! In fact, it's one of the reasons if I get rid of some guitars down the line that will influence the decision. I really am not a good guitar tech. I have restrung a few, but it hasn't been without it's pitfalls. I really like the kind with screw down tuners, that lock on so you can cut the string pretty quickly, not worry about it slipping, and move on. But I have a few that are a REAL drag, like my Dave Grohl 335 with mini-grovers all in a line, real PIA.

that's a nice looking guitar Dan.

I corrected Dave Grohl 336 to 335, my bad.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
      Well, I am barely an acoustic guy, so 12 strings just don't appeal to me for the very reason you mention, re-string! In fact, it's one of the reasons if I get rid of some guitars down the line that will influence the decision. I really am not a good guitar tech. I have restrung a few, but it hasn't been without it's pitfalls. I really like the kind with screw down tuners, that lock on so you can cut the string pretty quickly, not worry about it slipping, and move on. But I have a few that are a REAL drag, like my Dave Grohl 336 with mini-grovers all in a line, real PIA.

that's a nice looking guitar Dan.
      Thanks Doug !! I sadly have some friends that literally NEVER change their strings and I don't get it !! Electric guitars are much more sympathetic to old strings than acoustics. With acoustics, they start to sound pretty bad when the stings get dirty and old. With Electrics, the sound can 'warm up' with old strings and give you that classic warm, Anthony Wilson sound to the instrument plugged in.

Oh ya and by the way, there are 12 string electrics!! You should try one !!??

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

That looks like a nightmare to play....let alone restring lol.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
          That looks like a nightmare to play....let alone restring lol.
          They are amazing sounding guitars and super fun to play! Strummed they sound like an orchestra!

.........It's just the damn re-stringing!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I meant to say Dave Grohl 335, not 336. oops.

I like to hear others strum them sometimes, I know they have that full bodied sound. Maybe I will pick one up in the store one day. Many of the electric 12 strings are those dual neck guitars or boat anchors, ha. I know they make single body ones too.

I got a new reverb pedal for electric that can senthesize and sound like an organ with guitar. It's really unusual, but so much fun to play around with It's a BOSS pedal (RV-6), and I got the expressions pedal with it that turns it on and off, with a guitar bypass output, guitar can still go through with expression in off pedal position. So it's RV-6 + guitar or just guitar as output. Fun to play around with. It's not a 12 string, just effects related.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"