X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

Favorite Song... With a Twist

I've got too many favorite songs to have a favorite song. I'm sure that is true about most of us.

But I have favortites for certain categories.

Favorite Blues Song Performed Live By A White Guy In The 70's That Makes You Laugh, is for instance one of those catagories that I can pick a favorite.

And the winner is....

David Bromberg for I Will Not Be Your Fool!!!!

If you haven't heard it you should. It's times like these that I wish everyone had Rhapsody.

He tells his woman about all the things he will do for her, the only thing he will not do is be her fool. And then for about two minutes without breathing he gives a scenario of just how far it would have to go for him to be her fool.

It's perfect.
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

With that criteria, I'd have to nominate Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (Live At The Filmore: 1971) doing:

What Kind of Girl Do You Think We Are?

Or

Canned Heat (Future Blues) doing:

London Blues
    Bluespower

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

"Favorite Cover of a top 40's hit Dance Song by a relatively unknown artist whose version was such a close note-for note-copy of the original that the original artist thought it was their own recording when they first heard it on the radio"

And the winner is: The Twist by Chubby Checker (cover of the song of originally performed by Hank Ballard)

The version by Chubby Checker went on to become the #1 song in America in two separate years (the only song/performance for which that has ever happened) and spawned dozens of other songs and even several movies featuring the dance it promoted (The Twist, of course) and which made the Chubby Checker arguably more famous than the original artist.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

"Favourite song that's an exact rip-off of another song but the artist can get away with it because he's a big swinging d!ck in the music industry".

And the winner is: "Beyond The Horizon" by Bob Dylan which was originally "Red Sails in the Sunset" by Jimmy Kennedy.

I've mentioned this before but it's just so obvious that I don't know how Bob had the hutzpah to do it.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
          • Dec 2006

Favorite Song By A British Guy Who Was Born In Burma And Wasn't Properly Appreciated While Alive And May Still Not Be Now:

Nick Drake's One Of These Things First.

If you like Sufjan Stevens, you like Nick Drake, right? And Elliott Smith too?

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

OK...How about my favorite song originally made famous by a white artist and done even better by a black artist...

That would be Beast of Burden,by the Rolling Stones and then by the Holmes Brothers.

Or favorite song originally done by a black artist,made famous by a white artist then redone by a black artist...

One of them would be Blues Power....first by Albert King,then Eric Clapton...and finally Koko Taylor.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
              • Dec 2006

Koko Taylor and the Alligators? I saw her here of all places, with BB King, Buddy Guy, and.... the winner of my next category...

White Guy Who Plays Great Guitar But Mostly Has all Tech And No Soul That I saw Live In Concert At A Blues Festival Covering A Jimi Hendrix Tune:

Eric Johnson. He covered Red House, but I like Cliffs of Dover better.

Comment

• H.Donald
                • Aug 2004

Buddy Guy!!!!...shhhhh,can't say that name around my wife....

He holds the record for the longest stretching out of a song by an artist that probably had one too many before coming on stage.

My wife were at a club in Cambridge,probably close to 17,18 years ago...Buddy's band broke into 'going down,down,down'....after about 10 minutes or so Buddy sauntered/staggered on stage,the band kept playing as Buddy really got into it for another 10 minutes or so...then as he danced thru the crowd he stopped at the bar...had a drink as the band kept playing 'GOING DOWN,DOWN,DOWN...Buddy,had another drink,as the band played 'GOING DOWN,DOWN,DOWN...and so on...

I kid you not...this went on for at least 40 minutes...we left...but the song stayed in our heads for days.
                I have forgiven him,and seen him since...my wife never has.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                  • Dec 2006

Sounds like my kind of party. Well, anything that includes a little drinking sounds like my kind of party.

Favorite Blues Artist I have Seen Live At Kingston Mines In Chicago:
                  Linsey Alexander. He stopped a song midway to scream obscenities at a couple who were leaving (you have to walk right by the stage there to leave)

Nobody effing walks out on Linsey Alexander!!! You better run!!!

I was amused.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

"Favourite song with an opening line that leaves you wondering what the rest of the song will be about".

Five Long Years by Eddie Boyd.

Have you ever been mistreated? You know just what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                      • Dec 2006

Ohh my vote in that category is Louisiana Red's Blood Call

"It'd be hard to miss you, baby, with my pistol in your mouth"

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                        • Dec 2006

This one doesn't fit into a category... or maybe it does and y'all should come up with one for it...

Danger Zone... as in the song from Top Gun.

Wasn't that Kenny Loggins?

It's been in my head all day.

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

My favorite Big-Hair-Arena-Rock-Seen-From-The-Second-Row-In-The-Round-Song is either Pour Some Sugar On Me or Rocket by Def Leppard.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                            • Dec 2006

Favorite Song To Listen To Right Before You Walk Into Your High School Reunion:

1 Angry Dwarf And 200 Solem Faces - Ben Folds Five

What a great rock song.

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

"Favorite Song... With a Twist"

Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• cobbpa
                                • Apr 2005

Favorite song with catchy metaphor that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense but is still enjoyable:

Spidersong, by Say Anything:

"I'm growing legs..I'm the spider, I'm the spider"

Eh? But I like it! A few others crossed my mind, but for me this wins as most nonsensical and catchy.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"