X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bond's latest releases

I just picked up Bond's Classified and Remixed CD's late last week and so far I like them. The Remixed CD contains a number of fun tracks like #11 Bond on Bond which given the girls attractive looks conjurs up an interesting mental image :W

Classified is their more mainstream release...though I use mainstream with a huge grain of salt :B Over all the tempo and beat of this disc is much more "pop" and "dance" then their first release which means its closer to the remixed disc then what I was expecting. Still its a nice addition to the collection and a fun twist on classical music.

Music CD Track List:

1. Explosive
    2. Scorchio
    3. Midnight Garden
    4. Lullaby
    5. Samba
    6. Hungarian
    7. I'll Fly Away
    8. Dream Star
    9. Highly Strung
    10. Adagio For Strings
    11. Senorita

Viva [Orion Mix]
    Victory [Sharp Boys Wild Strings Edit]
    Wintersun [Bobby d'Ambrosio Mix]
    Speed [Crash Club Mix - Radio Edit]
    Fuego [Caliente Mix]
    Homecoming
    Atlanta
    Shine [Dubshakra Mix]
    Time
    Duel [Hectic Mix]
    Bond on Bond [Adapted from "The James Bond Theme" - Hectic Mix]
    Jingle Bell Rock [Pussy Galore Mix]
    Fuego [Video]
    Victory [Video]

For those not familar with Bond there's some samples available here (note its only for American's)

There's also a write up on them here and their website is http://www.bondmusic.net/
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I saw this write up as we

"If you play around with the layers of meaning in the word Classified, you come up with several permutations: Classical, a reference to the ongoing are-they-arent-they debate concerning Bonds musical style; Classic as in first-class or excellent, a reference to their academic and musical abilities; Classy as in superior and stylish; and then theres the hush-hush meaning of Classified, alluding to a certain suave and sexy spy of renown.

All are relevant to the perception and status of Bond, who have defied their detractors and become a musical phenomenon selling three million albums in a field where going into five figures is considered doing well. Their third album Classified is set to bump those figures further into the stratosphere.

Its not actually hard to figure out why. Sure, Haylie Ecker (first violin), Eos Chater (second violin), Tania Davis (viola) and Gay-Yee Westerhoff (cello) are highly photogenic. But as one of them has pointed out, if thats all that was needed for success, then supermodels would be able to sell records. Theres a deeper reason. Its because underpinning everything lies individual musical virtuosity and the sharpest of ears for what a global audience wants to hear. Bond are entertainers and see no shame in that. They are a genuinely genre-defying act, willing to go beyond category to explore the joy of music regardless of the cultural hamstrings that restrict the creativity of so many classically trained musicians.

Classified is a return to a more classically oriented style, put over with their trademark verve and panache. With it come explorations of other styles, from African and electro beats, hip hop to Latin, and for the first time a sliver of jazz.

The bonding that was part of the inspiration for their name still holds true four years on. Our reasons for doing this are all the same. Normally when groups dont last theres some sort of conflict of interest; people have different ideas of where they want to go. But weve always wanted the same thing, says Tania. This can be encapsulated in seeking the challenge of the new and wanting to have fun.

It works, says Eos, because were all so different in a way. It helps that we had a really strong training. I think that being dedicated to something all your life gives you a good grounding; its made us all quite down-to-earth.

Out of this common purpose has grown genuine love for each other. Were all still in love, says Gay-Yee. You can feel what she means in their presence, all exuding a genuine warmth and concern for each other. We try and enjoy what we do and try not to take ourselves seriously.

Fame and money has not changed them, they insist, though they do brandish their sparkly rings with glee. Tania puts it in perspective. You make a choice to stay the person you are. Then they all break into laughter. Divas, it seems, R not Us.

Much of the sense of lightness of being that surrounds Bond is the love of what they do and the freedom to do it. No one is pushing them to wear sexy outfits. That is who they are. Fashion is big in their life. But more fundamentally, its about being in control of your own destiny. Words like manufactured and svengali hovered in their vicinity at the beginning. But its the girls who choose their material and style, and anyone would be foolish to try and push them around. Were four women who have been around a little while now, and were having so much fun doing what were doing. In that respect its really cool that we dont have to take any hass from guys, says Haylie, explaining hass is a word where she comes from. We can just do what we want, its quite liberating.

Bond are a truly global success. Much of 2003 was taken up touring, particularly throughout Asia. They also fitted in performing and filming a TV commercial for American department store chain Marshall Fields, and made a commercial in Los Angeles for the Japanese karaoke manufacturer Daiichi Kosho. Then there was their movie debut playing themselves in a scene in Rowan Atkinsons James Bond spoof Johnny English for which they also contributed the track Kismet, composed by Gay-Yee, and played on the Main Theme.

The last part of 2003 was spent recording Classified. Inevitably, with their rich and varied experiences, Bond brought with them into the studio the culmination of their global influences. They are still influenced by the club scene from Momo in London to Bed in Bangkok, and popular culture. Were all into lots of things. Our eyes are wide open, says Gay-Yee. And naturally, their ears are too.

The argument over whether Bond are a classical act may rage on in some quarters. The girls were banned from the official UK Classical charts because of their beats when their debut album Born was released in 2001. Its frustrating to us that artists with no classical training can be in the classical charts when we all have such strong classical training, but there doesnt seem to be place for us, says Tania.

But the powers that be also know that Bond are a positive force in the classical world. They opened the 2001 and 2003 UK Classical Brit Awards. The intent in the invitation was clear they are a superb vehicle for bringing a broader and younger audience into the classical world. From their personal experience Bond know they are a clear influence on young people whose ears would not have previously been open to classical music. Parents take their kids to our tours to show them that the violin could be fun, says Eos.

But Bond are also clear where they stand. As Haylie says, I dont think we ever thought of ourselves as a classical group. We all trained as classical musicians, so we know what classical music is. It was a challenge for us to create something new and different, taking inspiration from classical melodies. When we play live we use electric violins and distortion pedals and other equipment, we have lighting shows and its a massive production, so in that way were much more pop.

The classical inspiration is still strong on Classified. That is exemplified by the inclusion of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra who accompany the girls throughout the album. A full symphony orchestra is a lot more of a unified sound than playing with a session orchestra which may have great musicians but they only get together on the day, says Tania. Our album sound is very different from our live sound, says Haylie. Our sound is always very big, but this album was really exciting because we did it with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Bond are still at the forefront but we have this massive orchestral sound. In a way that has been going through the first and second albums but this feels more organic.

Bond have played a much larger role in the arrangements and compositions on Classified, having written over a third of the album themselves. They worked alongside Orion, led by producer and DJ Youth (who also worked on their debut album BORN), and successful club DJ and producer Ed Leal, with help on the arrangements by the hugely talented Matt Dunkley.

As Bond mature and gain confidence in their identity and musicianship, it becomes clearer they have hit on a nerve and a need globally for music that is both uplifting and transporting. They have proven they had the courage and foresight to stretch the creative boundaries.

The Bond bandwagon continues into 2004 with the release of Classified and

a worldwide concert tour which will take the girls to Europe, South America,

North America and Asia.
    "

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Well, I didn't make it through that reading, but their pics are 'shore nice to look at!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Chris you should give them a try.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Its too bad the original album cover was banned

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Andrew, I just previewed some of their songs via your link. Cool stuff. I think I've heard one before, I think it was called "Victory". I'm not sure if it was on a late night talk show, or maybe a European TV show when I was travelling over there.

You're right, very cool album cover!

I think I'll add this one to my Amazon wish list. (I'm up to 8 or 9 pages)
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Chris YGM!

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                Its too bad the original album cover was banned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/979894.stm
                "'We were very concerned about Bond projecting such a sensational image, which is why we took steps for the picture never to see the light of day,' Decca managing director Bill Holland said."

Given that it is there in the BBC piece, guess they were short one step. Now if I can convince my wife I bought one of their disks for the music, I will give them a spin.

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Brandon just don't buy the DVD...that's a difficult sell to the wife

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"