X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Any Mobile Fidelity collectors?

Just wondering how many of you have Mobile Fidelity recordings in your music collections?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by will1066
    Just wondering how many of you have Mobile Fidelity recordings in your music collections?
    Any particular reason for the question? Are you thinking of buying some and want to know if the extra expense is "worth it"? Do you have a stash of MF albums that you want to sell and are testing the waters to see who might be interested? Is the next question going to be "how do they stack up against SACD or DVD-A?" Have you listened to a few and found them wonderful/lacking and wanted to give folks a "heads up" to seek them out/avoid them? Or was it just plain ole' curiosity? :>)

Here are two I remember off the top of my head without scanning my entire CD collection:

Joan Baez: Diamonds and Rust -- still my alltime fave pop album (which for this purpose, is a category that includes everything that isn't classical, although this album is a "classic".) :>) I had a "standard" Redbook CD of this album, but somehow it got scratched and a couple of the tracks were unplayable, so I had the perfect reason to step up to the Mobile Fidelity edition. Besides which, the local CD shop where I bought it was having a clearance sale, so I got it at a relatively reasonable price (still expensive for a CD, but not as stratospheric as usual). I also have this album on LP.

Bobby Short: Live at Cafe Carlyle -- a superb album of some of his best performances of "old standards". It includes some songs that were fairly new at the time when it was first released, but that was far enough back in time to make them "old standards" now, such as Sondheim's "Send In The Clowns". (His rendition of that song is the best I've heard by anyone so far, by the way.) I also have this album on LP.

Needless to say, being Mobile Fidelity releases, the sound reporduction on both of the above albums is superlative.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• will1066
      • Aug 2003

It was out of curiosity if anyone owns a stash like myself. I bought many of their rock CD titles before they went out of business and were subsequently resurrected. More recently, I got their Patricia Barber Nightclub. Yesterday, I picked up PB's Modern Cool and Coltrane's Soul Trane SACDs. Haven't listened to them yet. The CD recordings definitely show their age against most modern CDs and especially SACDs and DVD-As, but for albums that have not been remastered, the MoFi's are still the definitive versions.
      Last edited by will1066; 25 October 2004, 09:26 Monday.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I wish. . . . I have some half-speed mastered LPs, but not any of the MoFi CDs.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

I started collecting even before I had a system worthy of playing them. I figured they'd pay off down the road when the system caught up.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'd love some of their U2 discs but they're hard to come by and pricey

Comment

• will1066
              • Aug 2003

Andrew, do you know what the going rates for them nowadays. I'm just curious.

I regret not getting two Metallica albums offered by DCC Compact Classics. They were like $100 US each and hard to come by last time I checked, which was last year.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Oooooooooooh... high quality U2? Sign me up! I'm still waiting for them to come out on SACD and DVD-A.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Careful, Chris. Don't want ya to get overly excited and pull a stitch or two.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• will1066
                    • Aug 2003

Hehe.

If there's gonna be high-resolution U2, it will be done by their label, which is Island, I believe, and not MoFi.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

There's several U2 albums redone like Joshua Tree Its hard to find and usually expensive...

Here's some for sale :E

Comment

• will1066
                        • Aug 2003

You mean these and others, as well?

My MoFi

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Holy crap! I'd LOVE to have those U2 albums. Not going to happen at that price, though. Hopefully they'll come out on SACD or DVD-A in the next year, and make the MF recordings obsolete. I hope, I hope...
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• richardzullo
                            • Oct 2004

just found my pink floyd the wall!!

lol...any idea what the heck The wall is worth?! lol....i know they pressed it only one year in japan.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"