X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

vertical bi-amp, need info

I would like to experiment with vertical bi-amping using my Casablanca, Dreadnaught and Vandersteen 3s. The question I have is, do I need splitters at the Casablanca? If so, do balanced splitters exist?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

By vertical bi-amping, I'm assuming what you mean is using two channels of amplification running full range for each speaker section, but running only the bass section on one amp, and the treble section on another. This lowers the current loading on the amplifier, but not the voltage swing requirments. With some amplifiers, people do report better results, somewhat less IM modulation because of the lessened current demands. You don't get the full benefit of bi-amping, with an electronics crossover, because you'r still handling the full voltage range on each amplifier. (If this is not what you are hoping to do, please explain further).

A source of splitters for this task doesn't readily come to mind- it wouldn't be hard to make a patch box for this. My Ayre V-5, and many pro amps, have a pass thorugh balanced connection, with a mail and female XLR provided, wired in parallel; this is called a balanced bridging connection, because the amplifier isn't terminated in a 600 ohm line load, anyway. The Theta Dreadnaught does not offer a pass through connection on the XLRs.

What is your speaker system that you're considering bi-amping/bi-wiring?

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

Jon,
      First of all thank you for your reply. Let me say that I am not really sure what vertical bi-amping is. So, why do I want to try it? I'll explain. I am using Vanderteen 3A Signature speakers in my system. I used to have a Audio Research MKll, 100 watt per channel amp when I first purchased the speakers. This I blew up in a moment of exuburance after returning from a concert and cranking up the volume a wee bit to high. Because of the flames and such I sort of became leary of tubes and switched to a couple of Jeff Rowland amps which I also managed to overwhelm with some Pink Floyd one strange night. Thinking that more power was needed for these speakers I purchased a Dreadnaught. Then I read that Richard Hardesty was using the Dreadnaught for his 3As in a vertical bi-amp configuration. Since he didn't say that he was bridging the modules I figured that it means that one module feeds the bass and the other module feeds the mid range and tweeter. Is this correct? And if it is, don't I need a Y at each output of the preamp? And since I am using balanced interconnects I was wondering if anybody makes a balanced Y.
      Then again, maybe I totally read to much into the term vertical bi-amping and it is just another term for bridgeing a amp.
      Oh yeah, I forgot to say why I wanted to try this. Because I got a bunch of amps laying around and figured that since I had the power I might as well hook it up and see what happens.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Bob, I potentially could build an XLR splitter. But not really sure I want to, to be honest. It would be a royal pain in the butt, working with XLRs on such a small cable. I am sure.

I would consider it, but it wouldn't be cheap. I am not sure about your terminology of vertical bi-amping. Are your XLRs 3 pronge?

Nice to see you back posting after a brief hiatus.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

Lex,
          "I am not sure about your terminology of vertical
          bi-amping. Are your XLRs 3 pronge?"

That's o'k, I'm not sure what it means either. But, I beleive it means the following:

You take a speaker that can be bi-wired and feed each half of the speaker with a different amp. So, if you were using mono amps, each speaker would need two amps.

I have found the balanced splitters, or Y's, at Audioquest. Now, I just need to find out if my interpretation of vertical bi-amping is correct and would I be losing anything by spltting the signals coming out of my preamp.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"