X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wireless
    • Feb 2001

New AVP

Heard rumors that an upgrade or new version of the AVP is coming out. Has anyone heard about this or what kind of new features it will have?

John
    My HT Picts
    John
    My HT Picts
  • greynolds
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I've heard the same. I've heard very little more except that there will be some sort of upgrade path for current AVP owners (I would think most likely the difference in retail price). If I had to guess, I would think they would be adding some or all of the following:

1) Component video switching.

2) Some sort of 5.1 audio input for first generation DVD Audio players.

3) Some sort of upgrade port to support digital outputs from DVD Audio players.

4) Support for Dolby Pro Logic II.

5) Support for the new DTS formats that are in the Denon 5800 receiver.

6) Balanced outputs for all channels.

7) Identical DAC's for all channels.

Obviously some of the above could drive the price up to PAV/PDSD level, but these are the things I see as potential room for improvement in the AVP beyond a few custom control deficiencies that I have noticed in controlling it with a Crestron system.

Geoff

Geoffrey Reynolds
    Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Wireless
      • Feb 2001

I would love component switching, 5.1 input, and identical DACs for all channels. The other items are not priorities for me at this time, but might move up the list later. I've heard the same comment about an upgrade path for current AVP owners but nothing beyond that.

John
      My HT Picts
      John
      My HT Picts

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

Sounds interesting. This could propel the AVP to the top spot in "realistically" priced processors. Meaning, not at the level of the 14K Meridian.

Let's face it, short of a home equity loan, not to many of us are game for that upgrade! Certainly not me.

Lex

Comment

• greynolds
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Keep in mind that much of what I listed above could be added to the existing AVP through either software updates or a link to an add on component (sort of like the PAV/PDSD combo):

1) Component video switching.

Hardware upgrade.

2) Some sort of 5.1 audio input for first generation DVD Audio players.

Hardware upgrade.

3) Some sort of upgrade port to support digital outputs from DVD Audio players.

Hardware upgrade. This one could possibly be done with a replacement of the existing AVP digital input board.

4) Support for Dolby Pro Logic II.

I'm pretty sure this could be done with only a software update.

5) Support for the new DTS formats that are in the Denon 5800 receiver.

This should also be possible with a software update.

6) Balanced outputs for all channels.

Hardware upgrade. Realistically, this one would require an all new AVP, IMO.

7) Identical DAC's for all channels.

Hardware upgrade. Realistically, this one would require an all new AVP, IMO.

Geoff

Geoffrey Reynolds
          Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Lar
            • Feb 2001

As an owner of an AVP I to am interested in upgrades. My dealer told me Madrigal informed them that there would be -new dacs
            -new microprocessor
            -new videoboard
            and other goodies...They didn't know price of these upgrades..or exact dates.

Comment

• Wireless
              • Feb 2001

Sounds like it may be a fairly expensive upgrade, but the improved DACs could be worth it. Video Board replacement could be to add component. I never checked the specs on video bandwidth, so maybe expansion to accommodate HDTV?

John
              My HT Picts
              John
              My HT Picts

Comment

• greynolds
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

AFAIK, the existing hardware has enough bandwidth to support HDTV. However HDTV isn't available over composite or S-Video connections anyway, so the bandwidth is largely moot. The video card can be easily swapped (probably a 5-10 minute job), but my concern in adding component video switching is real estate. I'm not willing to give up any of the existing inputs, as I currently use them all.

It's possible that a new microprocessor is needed to support the additional surround sound formats. Some other processors have been rumored to need upgrades to support Dolby Pro Logic II.

Any more info beyond "other goodies"?

Perhaps it's time for one or more of us to fire off an email to Todd Sutherland at Madrigal to see if we can get any more info.

Geoff

Geoffrey Reynolds
                Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Lar
                  • Feb 2001

I'm afraid to even ask cost of upgrade...Other goodies presume would be new surround formats, not sure what they meant though. Sutherland was very vague to me in his reply in Dec....Dealer gave me more specifics.I think they are waiting to finish off the ML 40

Larry

Larry

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"