X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r-kenn
    • Mar 2018

Polk Audio RTIA9's as surround rears?

Hello!

So I saw a pretty big sale for speakers I was interested in, the Polk RTIA9s, $400 cad each, and bought two. However the website checkout made an error and ended up purchasing 4, and i didn't notice till they were on my door step.

I am looking into surround speakers as well, specifically the Polk Audio FxiA series, however i noticed that even with (current) sales, those smaller speakers cost more than the RTIA9's.

My question is , should i just keep them and use them as surround rears? Or possibly surround sides, and stick with the FxiA series for surround rears? Or just return them...

I am aware of the large power requirement, but aside from that?

what do you think?

Edit: I have a large basement, about 26ft by 30ft. Id say i watch movies, and listen to high fidelity music equally.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

If you can have four matching speakers for a (5.1?) MCH setup, that will enhance the cohesiveness of your audio, so, as long as your amps can drive all of them, I'd say go for it. (But that's me).

Comment

• r-kenn
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Ovation
      If you can have four matching speakers for a (5.1?) MCH setup, that will enhance the cohesiveness of your audio, so, as long as your amps can drive all of them, I'd say go for it. (But that's me).
      Yea power could be expensive, but worth the investment I'd say. Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

• bougti
        • Jan 2019

As a former Polk speaker owner (RTiA3) I would say that you should stick to the Polk speaker line for your surrounds as the best way to have similar tonality of sound across all speakers since they all use the same tweeter.

Your choice of surrounds would depend on how your listening room is arranged and whether you are the only viewer/listener or if you have 'guest' seating and wish to maximize everyone's listening experience.

If you are primarily the only listener then get the RTiA3s so that you become the center of the listening universe. (The RTiA3s are a very nice speaker for the money, imo.)

If you like to share movie and sound experiences with family and friends, then go for the FXi series-you'll get better surround sound dispersion for more than one person. Since you have big RTiA9s, go big with the FXiA6.

And if you don't mind buying refurbished from Polk's ebay site - go that route to save some money. I did that with the RTiA3s and got them for much less than $400/pr (and they were like new and still had a warranty).

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
        Last edited by bougti; 19 January 2019, 13:04 Saturday.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I'd keep the four (as many matching speakers as possible is a good thing). Beyond that, I don't know the product line sufficiently to comment on additional options (especially if you plan to add more than just a centre channel speaker).

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"