• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

The Media is Just Plain Stupid...

The Media is Just Plain Stupid...

...as in this auto industry (self described) expert thinks MP3 & (general) Streaming are better quality than redbook 16/44

....specifically paragraphs 4 & 6...

No wonder there is so much confusion out there....

LINK
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

It's not limited to audio, sadly. The poor math skills and the astonishingly high degree of scientific ignorance, among journalists and their readers, is responsible for so much damage it's depressing.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

"rapid advance of superior MP3 and digital-streaming technology". Oh my !! Sad !
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

It's sooooooo tough being part of the "1%".

And by 1%, I mean that we are among the VERY VERY VERY few and "elite" that actually understand the technology and has a true love of all things audio. Which means the industry just does not care about us.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

The article is kinda sorta right. My new 2015 model vehicle still sports a CD player, but I'm not sure why - because luckily there's a USB port, and dare I say bluetooth. As for bit rates and formats, if you care, you know the difference. Otherwise, you're just happy that music comes out. The CD has indeed survived well.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mjb
            The article is kinda sorta right. My new 2015 model vehicle still sports a CD player, but I'm not sure why - ..........
            I will venture a guess that many who have CD's at home & DL's on their portable have not (or do not know how to) ripped them for digital storage.

BTW, my current vehicle has both a CDp & a cassette player. ops:
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mjb
              The article is kinda sorta right. My new 2015 model vehicle still sports a CD player, but I'm not sure why - because luckily there's a USB port, and dare I say bluetooth. As for bit rates and formats, if you care, you know the difference. Otherwise, you're just happy that music comes out. The CD has indeed survived well.
              2015? My 2011 has a CD/DVD player which I use only for my own screen-savers. I use SD card slots and the USB port occasionally but mostly to load files into the HD.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Getting back to this issue of misinterpretation & disseminating false information……
                First thing I see is a problem with due diligence on behalf of the reporting & editing.
                Where is the fact checking?
                Who (editor in absentia) is vetting these articles, if at all?

Next, where is this information coming from?
                Could it be that car manufacturer’s themselves are the ones responsible for ‘embellishing’ the information given to the media?
                If so, what motive is driving this campaign?
                This last question answers itself, obviou$lyl.

CD players take up far too much precious limited space behind the dash. (anyone remember the in-trunk units?)
                Room which is required for all manner & sort of electronics & computer controls & displays; not to mention the volume needed for HVAC plumbing, control & hardware that must keep fingers & toes warm in Winter & cool in Summer while maintaining windows fog-free.
                Indeed, fierce battles are continually fought in corporate project-design meetings over claims to this sacred real estate at every auto manufacturer.

Less space for the hardware of music/entertainment systems means more space for the necessary ubiquitous computer & its sundry hardware networks that keep multitasking soccer moms (among many others) who are far too busy with ipads, not-so-smart phones & HUDs to be bothered to pay enough attention to prevent their vehicle from drifting into my lane & killing me.

I have a dream that in my lifetime (which is another way saying “in the V,V near future”) I can opt out on the computer control of my car while everyone else is happy to let the thing drive itself.
                Imagine for once in the entire history of the world not having to share the road with all these morons!

Again, I will attempt to divert my ramblings back towards what I believe is the root cause of this distortion.

Einstein said, "Perfection of means and confusion of ends seem to characterize our age"

It is a kind of propagandized fairy tale of sorts.
                One that began taking root soon after the 2nd WW.
                We were victors in a worldwide fight for human dignity.
                We had won the battle with hard work, dedication & that unique commodity that made us different, envied, & respected by everyone.
                We did it with American ingenuity.

The war had spawned a Tsunami-like growth surge in technology as only the concentrated efforts of countries at war for their V survival can.

A new age had dawned.
                One of euphoric hope & prosperity.
                It was boomer time, not just for baby-making, but for the sanctification of technology.
                And then corporate America found they could use this hangover of invincibility to promote anything & everything.
                We were getting Disneyland for our kids & TV’s & jet-age tail-fins for our 2 and half ton apartment-size sedans.

Because of it, we could head to the Moon & at the same time annihilate all life on the planet.
                Thanks to it, nobody was ever gonna fuck with us again.
                Technology could solve all, solve any problem - feed the world & guarantee peace with is power to deliver Armageddon.

Out with the Old, in with the New.
                If it is New it Must be Better.
                Better living thru Modern Chemistry.
                High-Tech always trumps Low-Tech.
                Today’s New-Tech always beats Yesterday’s Tech.
                Lifecycles are now measured in Nanoseconds.

And so it is, three generations later, billions go without sufficient food, wars persist, & so does vinyl.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"