X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Terminal

doesn't sound all that promising does it?

D.O.A.
    'Fabulously ill-conceived, woefully miscast, horribly written, xenophobic, over-long and just plain stupid'
    By LIZ BRAUN -- Toronto Sun
    Once upon a time, some bit of bureaucratic bungling left an Iranian man stranded at Charles de Gaulle airport. He lived there for some years, no doubt relying upon the kindness of strangers to survive.

A version of this tale is told in The Terminal, a film that stars Tom Hanks as an Eastern European man forced to live at a New York airport.

Hanks plays one Viktor Navorski, a guy from the vaguely Russian land of Krakozhia. It isn't a real country, which is how you know that Viktor is going to be the foreign-figure-of-fun-with-a-heart-of-gold.

Viktor gets caught in a web of red tape. He cannot leave the airport.

Okay: What to do?

He quickly creates a place to live in a deserted part of the airport, learns to speak English, makes a pack of new friends, plays Cupid for a buddy, gets a great job, falls in love with a beautiful flight attendant (Catherine Zeta-Jones), creates art, becomes a hero and a leader of men and inspires dozens to lay their jobs on the line for him and his noble pursuit of ... a musician's autograph.

You really have to see it to believe it.

The Terminal is so wrong from top to bottom -- fabulously ill-conceived, woefully miscast, horribly written, xenophobic, over-long and just plain stupid -- that it's actually fun to watch.

The airport that becomes home to Viktor looks like one endless product placement, a loving advertisement to Burger King, Border's Books and S'barro.

Viktor's experience is meant to be the immigrant experience in microcosm. And America, according to The Terminal, is all about consumerism and immigrant ingenuity when it comes to finding shortcuts to consuming, except when it's about petty bureaucrats trying to keep those crafty immigrants out of the country.

Saddled with a ridiculous accent and required to convey a genuine interest in other people -- the one trait no American thespian can pull off -- Hanks is left to struggle with dreadful material.

Mostly, the dreadful material defeats him. Around and about Hanks and his misguided pratfalls, however, are some pleasant performances.

Catherine Zeta-Jones is entirely watchable as a damaged romantic.

And as a paranoid airport cleaner, Kumar Pallana steals every scene he's in.

Otherwise, The Terminal is overwrought and self-indulgent. It's also vindicating for anyone who finds the whole sainted Steven Spielberg/Tom Hanks pairing to be wildly overrated.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ouch. Testy, testy. :blink:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• glangston@socal
      • May 2004

A little TOOOOOO negative

I didn't like Artificial Intelligence and doubt I'd care for this but the reviewer has a "thing" for either writer or actor or both. To say no American thespian can pull off "showing a genuine interest about someone else" is pretty mindless stuff. This reviewer just sounds plain mean and a not very entertaining grouch. :roll:

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Isn't that most reviewers?! :lol: They all seem to be cynical SOB's that think they could do a better job making the movies. Well I ask, why aren't they then?

I didn't care much for A.I. either... it was "alright" but nothing I'd likely watch again let alone buy.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

I loved AI and have liked his other non action oritented flicks as well.

There is no doubt I plan to see The Terminal. :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"