X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • holliswhy
    • Jun 2010

Deciding on a solid state amp

Hey all,

First post here so I would start with some background checks.

My father is an audiophile in Hong Kong he is into Eagles and HK pop, and uses JBL (dont know model) with Denon 3530 amp.

As i have grown up in England and currently in Melbourne, I would like to start having my own LP/amp/speakers setup. But, as a first setup I would like to stick with a some budget so i won't kill myself if i got ripe off.

I mainly listen to rock. Like The Clash, the sweet, Mars volta, David Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Wolfmother, Led Zepplin... and local music

I have acquired a pair of Polk Audio monitor 5 speakers for $250 AU on ebay, things are a bit more expensive in Australia, as i found, mainly due to the distance from... well civilization. i tested them in a shop and really liked its detail and midrange and likely i found them on ebay for almost 1/2 the price.

Now, here's my choice issue. As my budget is limited, i mainly listen to rock and I have no idea how tube amps work (read an article that said: "tube amps are something to die for, but, don't learn it the hard way or take it literally), I think i should stick with solid state/ integrated amps.

I have seen AR A-06 and Rotel 840BX4 on ebay for around $150AU (my budget is set at $500 max). Are these good amps for my intending setup? I can't find much info on them... Also, as i prefer English/American styled music, would i be better off with an English/US built amp? What recommendations would you guys have? I need to leave some budget for cables and a turntable is well. This is a challenge!

Oh, also, are solid state amps more prone to wear and tear? What alternatives do i have? Are Japanese manufacturers able to make amps that are a bit warmer than its Western counterparts? ie. more suitable for my ears. Warm vocal with rocking electric gutiars

Thanks all. Hollis
    Last edited by holliswhy; 02 June 2010, 09:11 Wednesday. Reason: missed a question
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I have. Cambridge Audio 840 power amp' and a 650 CD player, based on how they have worked out and write ups on the 650 integrated, I'd check CA out- good sound, a great remote, and good value. The 840 is the best power amp I've heard under $5K.

Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      The 840 is the best power amp I've heard under $5K.
      Jon, does that include the Aragon Palladium you used to like (if I remember correctly)? If so, I may have to give the 840 a closer look.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• 2gumby2
        • Jun 2010

I like the older Carver amps and you can pick them up reasonably at on-line auctions. I have a Carver TFM-35x and I am very happy with it. I think I got it around 1995.

Comment

• twitch54
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by holliswhy
          Now, here's my choice issue. As my budget is limited,(my budget is set at $500 max).

Given your limited budget I would forget about seperates (I'm assuming you don't already have a pre-amp) and stick with a used integrated amp instead. You should have plenty of good options for nice SS integrated, have you checked out 'The Gon' ?
          Dave

Comment

• jbreezy5
            • May 2009

Hi Hollis,

Given your limited budget and also that you are building a first system, I would say to venture for a solid-state amp would be a preferred way to start. You will be hard-pressed to find a tube integrated to meet your price constraint. While tubes definitely have their virtues, solid-state will likely give you greater reliability, as well as, keep costs down (since you don't have to replace tubes). It may be good to avoid amps older than 10-yrs, capacitors tend to go first in a solid-state amp, with a typical life of approximately 15-20 yrs (they typically die gracefully before needing to be replaced).

I wouldn't necessarily describe Japanese solid-state as being warm. It depends, of course. If you want a Jap-amp, some well-liked brands are Luxman and Marantz. From user reviews of the Polk Monitor 5's, the bass can get a little loose sounding with increased volume. Probably a Marantz would mate well with them. Cambridge Audio (a UK brand) was mentioned by a previous poster, I agree if you can get your hands on an Azur 540A, that would be a great 50-watt amp for a starter system. It would also be more refined than a Marantz. Many also like NAD, but I don't have much experience with that brand. Rotel is good too.

If you aren't too set on going with a turntable set-up, purchasing an affordable cd player would allow you to allocate more funds to the amplifier. Initially, that will give you a greater sonic return. You could then make the turntable your first system upgrade (which will feel like a huge upgrade after listening to affordable cd playback). However, if you greatly desire a turntable, by all means, go for it.

One last recommendation, make the budget for speaker wire and interconnects small. They should be far less in cost compared to any actual component in your system (especially a starter system).

Hope this helps.

-Jbreezy-

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"