X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spaniard
    • Jun 2005

Audio adapters advice

Hi, I would like to send stereo audio signal using an existing in-wall RG6 cable from one room to another. My music server in one room has RCA outputs and my receiver in the other room has RCA inputs. What kind of adapter do I need to connect these two components using the RG6 cable and still maintaining the stereo separation and CD quality? Thank you very much.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

You can actually terminate RG6 with RCA compression fittings. If you are using wall plates, you can use a plate with a F-connector on the in-wall side and a female RCA connector in the room.

I'm sure there are some sort of argument someone will make on the impact to the quality, but it works fine if you're trying to get by with what you've got.
    Danish

Comment

• Spaniard
      • Jun 2005

Thanhs dyazdani, I appreciate your suggestion. I guess in that case I would need to use a RCA Y-adapter, right? Would a Y-adapter still keep the stereo separation?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Since you only have one RG6, you would need to get an analog to digital convertor and send it via coaxial digital. If you receiver doesn't have a coaxial input, you would then need a DAC (digital to analog) on the other end.

Of course if the server all ready has a digital output you can use that (you might need an optical to coaxial converter)

Y'ing the output would not keep the stereo signal and would probably damage the music server.

Kevin D.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Spaniard
          Thanhs dyazdani, I appreciate your suggestion. I guess in that case I would need to use a RCA Y-adapter, right? Would a Y-adapter still keep the stereo separation?
          I wasn't thinking about having only one cable, for some reason I was thinking you had multiple. Kevin is right on...
          Danish

Comment

• Spaniard
            • Jun 2005

Here is another idea. Let me know what any of you think.
            I just noticed that I have an available digital Coax output available in my music server. Can I have a hook up this coax thru an adapter to the RG6 cable, and in the other room hook up the other end of the RG6 to a small Digital to Analog converter with RCA outputs?

Comment

• Spaniard
              • Jun 2005

I guess I read Kevin mind. Thank you very much.

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

You could actually go straight coax to your receiver if it has a coax digital input. Otherwise, it probably has at least an optical input. You can get a coax to optical converter in that case.
                Danish

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Spaniard
                  Here is another idea. Let me know what any of you think.
                  I just noticed that I have an available digital Coax output available in my music server. Can I have a hook up this coax thru an adapter to the RG6 cable, and in the other room hook up the other end of the RG6 to a small Digital to Analog converter with RCA outputs?
                  That seems more reasonable.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"