X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gocougs11
    • Jan 2009

Hire out or DIY?

I read a post about another Fraternity needing improvements however the situation is drastically different....

Let me begin to explain what my question is. I live in a very old Fraternity house in Pullman, WA. Pullman is a very small town in eastern WA, 8 miles away from Idaho. So I am confined to small market of audio professionals. While there is Spokane, the second largest town in WA with a population of 200,000 is less than an hour away, I would rather not spend money on travel.

So here is the situation.... with the physical condition of the house on a scale of 1-10 about a 3 should I trust my fellow handyman with installing a P.A. system in the house? While competent to build things I am not sure of their ability to do wiring and electric components of construction.

The ultimate goal is to have a DJtype (for lack of better word and too prove my ignorance) in our basement rec room. Dancing is the main purpose of this room. Along with this there will be on the 1st floor another singular speaker. The purpose is it relay house messages to others in the room. Its roughly 20 x 30 feet.

Continuing up the house (its 5 floors total) is the main living area. It is about 100 feet long with rooms on both sides. This is area needs to have enough sound to power a party but not enough bass to be heard disruptively outside. Potentially 2 speakers on this hallway. This will also be the hub of the system, where what ever the ipod is plugged into will be.

On the third hall is a sleeping porch that a speaker will be required to be loud enough to disrupt sleep in case of an emergency. This room is about 20 x 30 feet.

The top floor is a hallway and a room that is will be needing the same speaker as the first floor.

My question to you all is this
    Should I hire a professional company to do this or should I go to a local Walmart and buy the speakers and receiver there and necessary supplies?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'll be honest and admit I don't plan on using this site much but I'm a huge fan of sharing information and this seemed like a place to go to find real answers from people who know what they are talking about. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Last time I checked Walmart didn't sell prosound equipment.

What's the budget for these projects?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gocougs11
      • Jan 2009

around 3,000-4,000 but if its more then ok.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

These are good budget speakers. ..

Systems like this are typically not run directly by just a receiver. This is usually done using patch bays and mixers.

You'll need to find someone locally or on a pro-sound audio forum who understands distributing sound help to design the system, since that's beyond the scope of this forum.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

For 4k there are some pretty nice PA systems you can get. Still probably more in the beginner side of things as some of those PA system cost big bucks but regardless you should be able to get something pretty nice.

Comment

• fork
            • Dec 2008

A guitar center, sam ash or other large musical instrument store maybe able to help you out with equipment and installation. 3-4k should be more than enough.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"