WalMart to stamp its name on Notebooks in quarter 1 of 2004?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

WalMart to stamp its name on Notebooks in quarter 1 of 2004?

From ZDNet:

Wal-Mart Stores is developing a plan to launch its own brand of PCs.
    The retail giant plans to begin offering notebooks under its own brand name during the first quarter of 2004, according to industry sources quoted in a report the Taiwan Economic News published this week.

A source familiar with the U.S. notebook industry told CNET News.com that Wal-Mart has shown interest in offering a notebook line but has not yet reached a deal with a specific manufacturer.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman said only that the company is constantly evaluating new product possibilities.

"We're always looking for products that we think our customers will enjoy at Wal-Mart," she said. But "we have no plans for a private-label PC at this time."

If Wal-Mart, which sells PCs from companies such as Hewlett-Packard and eMachines, moves into the notebook market successfully, it could send ripples across the PC industry. The retailer's typically aggressive pricing could compel manufacturers such as Dell, HP and Toshiba to reduce their notebook prices in response, analysts said.

However, retailers haven't had much luck with house brands in the past. CompUSA has tried a number of times to launch its own PC line but has usually wound down projects after a few months, and Best Buy put an end to its own PC effort.

Some analysts suggested that Wal-Mart is aiming to increase its own profit margin by taking out the intermediary between the retailer and the manufacturer. The company may also be trying to spark consumer demand for notebooks by pushing down prices, they said.

"This move will further drive down notebook PC prices, particularly at the low end," Matt Sargent, an analyst with ARS, wrote in a report.

Wal-Mart notebooks would likely use either an AMD Athlon XP or Intel Celeron processor and come with a 15-inch screen, with prices starting at about $750, Sargent said in the report.

If the retailer, which now offers several brands of notebooks starting at $799 on its Web site, offers its own machines, it's unclear whether it would sell them through stores or only through the Web.

"For the same reason Dell and Gateway can get TVs, there's no reason Wal-Mart can't get computers," Baker said.

Wal-Mart may not continue its own-brand PC push if its first batch or two of notebooks are not seen as successful, according to the Taiwan Economic News report. Selling notebooks in stores would be a departure for the retailer, which mainly carries low-price desktops in its outlets.

Although the retailer, based in Bentonville, Ark., sells a number of notebooks via the Web, it has offered only one portable--an HP model, part of a back-to-school bundle--in stores, according to Steve Baker, an analyst with NPD Group.

Wal-Mart may be eyeing the large increases in retail sales that notebooks have seen at over the past few years. Retail unit sales jumped 31 percent in the United States during the first nine months of 2003, compared with the same period a year ago, according to a report the NPD Group recently released. During the same time period, desktop PC sales decreased by 1 percent.

Still, for Wal-Mart, success in notebooks will likely be measured in quick sales.

"Wal-Mart has to move lots of products and can't be messing around, putting a display model in all 2,800 stores. The (notebook) product has to be able to sell itself right out of the box," Baker said.

I bet Michael Dell has been on the phone with them...just a guess.

Should make things interesting in an already congested market. Walmart hasn't been overly successful in the past with large screen TV's and PC's (the Canadian market anyway). I think it all depends on the market and the consumer and that particular consumer doesn't shop at walmart for a pc....based on my opinion when I used to work in their electronics department many moons ago before I got a job, job. However, if in the interm it spooks VAR's (value-added reseller) to drop prices...Spring '04 would be a good time to think about getting a notebook. If it's on your wishlist for x-mas....wait just a little longer....you may reap the benefits.

Gord

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Bargain basement notebooks from Walmart, that's an interesting concept, maybe, maybe not...

Now, I'm not a Walmart snob, I buy a lot of DVD's there (they probably have the best prices consistently for walk in retail), and I buy epoxy there for speaker contruction but I'm not sure about bottom feeding notebooks- and since I'm a bottom feeder in the notebook area, that might be significant.

My first personal notebook I got at CostCo- a Sony FX model about a year and a half ago, on a special price, with nice case, about $1299, with a 1 GHz Athlon, 14" display, DVD-CDRW drive, and 30GB HD. Times have chanaged, and you can get more for your money today, of course. My Sony had to get sent back for repair, and I couldn't get it back in time for my recent business trip to Europe, which left me desparate- desparate to go out looking for another relatively high performance bottom feeder. This time, I spent $200 less- but wound up with quite a bit more...

1.8 GHz Mobile XP 2400+ Athlon
    512 MB DDR RAM
    60 GB HD
    DVD/CDRW drive
    15.4" Widescreen display, 1280X800, Radon Mobility
    Three USB 2.0 Ports
    1 Ethernet port
    1 Firewire port
    Built in 802.11G wireless
    Direct function buttons for volume, Internet, Email
    Blue LEDs.... I love Blue LEDs....
    Snap in Battery and HD
    Three hours battery life playing DVD off HD, observed, on one battery
    OS is XP Home with SP1, WM9 player
    Bundled software includes Microsoft Works, PowerDVD XP.

Net price, $1100 -

Model: eMachines M5312

So far, I've been quite pleased with the performance, even doing some simulation work. It has a nice manual for the beginner, with more complete and better orgainized info than my Sony, plus it has the CD restore feature for getting back to the original configuration or installing a new HD.

All in all, quite pleased at how much peformance this kind of money can buy these days...

~Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

After a few more weeks of heavy usage (85% of my total computing needs) I have to say I continue to be pleased with this eMachines notebook. Power isn't lacking, as the full throttle CPU speed (1.8 GHZ Athlon) is the same as my main desktop (1.8 GHz Athlon). But the PowerNow management has it loafing at 500 MHz or so much of the time, including when playing back DVD's. Put a CAD program or Simulation tool on, and it's steps up to the plate and goes to full throttle.

The included PowerDVD player (customized for emachines) plays DVD's off the hard drive also (from IFO file), and there's enough juice in one battery to get through Lord of the Rings. Furthermore, a second battery is easily ordered through their web site (which I did), for a relatively paltry $120, and with two, you're set for more computing and DVD playing than you'll probably want on a transatlantic flight (worked for me, anyway- ya gotta sleep sometime .

Did I mention the blue LEDs?

The only thing I've significantly customized is the UI, by installing StyleXP 2.0, to re-skin the UI, and modify the boot/logon screens.

I'm going to setup my LSPCAD on this system now, in preparation for a week at ThomasW's in mid January, working on the Arvo Part project.

Truthfully, this isn't feeling at all like a "bottom feeder" experience. I know emachines had a poor rep a few years back, but apparently they've turned some things around; in one of the PC mags, they were even rated #2 for this year on a user survey for service and support.

They're even offering a desktop that has me re-considering my build it myself ways, in the name of money- it's an AMD64 3200 mid tower, currently only sold thorugh Best Buy, with a 120 GB HD, 512MB of RAM, lots of ports, a 9600 vid card, DVD and CD burners, for about 1299 without monitor. I don't like the keyboard, but I never like anyone's keyboards except Microsoft Natural keyboards (the new Multimedia one is a nice deal at $49).

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"