X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M3-SRT8
    • Jan 2008

My System So Far...

Here is what I've assembled for a 'budget' 2 ch audiophile system. Well, what I consider 'budget'...

PrimaLuna DiaLogue Two In Amp (Absolute Sound's '07 POTY)
    KEF iQ9 column speakers in Dk Walnut
    Yamaha CD-S2000 SACD, about to be picked up & installed.
    Digital Cable Box, set to 'wide' dynamic range, for digital musicchoice channels, linked to a 7" LCD for picture.

What do you guys think?

Any Cable Suggestions? I like a soft, 3D stereo image.

LJB 8)
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

You'll find it standard around here--this forum is owned and operated by Cat Cables, which turns out to be a very excellent choice in A/V cables as well. Click on the links at the top or bottom of the pages, and you'll find a wide range of cables to choose from for your setup. I use them, too, with great results!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• M3-SRT8
      • Jan 2008

OK! Here's the latest.

I installed Yamaha's new CD-S2000 SACD player. OMG, did this system pop!

I played the musical soundtrack to "Ray", the movie about Ray Charles. First track up was "I got a Woman", and although an old recording, it's been remastered (by Bill Inglot over at DigiPrep). Although not very dynamic at extreme frequencies, it really doesn't have to be to capture all that was special about Ray Charles. It is dynamic thru the rest of the soundtrack, and, the breadth and depth of image of this 50 year old recording is a revalation, esp thru this system. I could pick out individual instrumentation, and the timbre of ray's voice was spot on. As soon as my GF heard it, she said "My God, He's in the Room...!"

Next up was "(Night Time is) The Right Time", with the Raylettes. Now, Ray is relatively easy to capture (and, he was captured, once again) compared to the Raylettes, esp the Female Lead, who's name escapes me at the moment. Her hard edged style easily could overpower a system, sounding TOO edgy, but, this system let her through in all her glory. The Raylettes were all easy to pick out individually, as the KEF's laid them all out in a neat row.

When listening to the album, I found myself switching the PrimaLuna DiaLogue Two from Triode to Ultralinear, and back again. I found it sounded best in Ultralinear, where the KT88's were allowed to bite into the KEF's driver compliment effectively without becoming impolite.

"Hard Times (No One Knows Better Than I)" was up next, and, it's an intimate number, Just Ray, his piano, and Sax. Again, all laid out quite well.

The System has about 20 hours on it, so, the Amp & Speakers have yet to settle fully in. Since the room is fairly live, may be a touch too much, I'm looking into some room treatments to dial it in as well. But I won't do anything until the system fully settles in.

But to my ears, it sounds great right now. The fact that I know it will sound even better intrigues me.

LJB

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

Comment

• M3-SRT8
          • Jan 2008

OK, here's the latest.

I put on some Sinatra, from his "Very Best" 2 CD Set. For the most part, it sounded fantastic.

A couple of cuts sounded a hair edgy, esp horns in the upper freq's. Nothing too nasty, but, just on the edge of being so. Frank, on the other hand, came on lake gangbusters. His voice, perfectly formed, leaped into the room, nicely defined, and centered amidst the big bands.

I'm thinking about Speaker Cable & Interconnects to dial in the last 5-10%. I'm just running MonsterCable stuff from Best Buy, the braided stuff with the dual strand windings, silver & copper. Interconnects are WireWorld's Solstice 5's. It was stuff I had laying around. It's not bad stuff, I'm just wondering what would sound better in this system.

LJB 8)

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

SilverCats/KingCats from CAT Cables!!!

Seriously, the difference between a 99.9% silver and copper cable is night and day. You get those and you'll be absolutely amazed at the difference in sound your system gets (all for the better mind you).

I also recommend looking at picking up some DeOxit Gold (you can get it from Parts Express) to put on your connections. I used it just recently and it made a very nice enhancement to my system...especially for the price of the stuff. Definitely a "more bang for your buck" type of difference.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• twitch54
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
              SilverCats/KingCats from CAT Cables!!!

Seriously, the difference between a 99.9% silver and copper cable is night and day. You get those and you'll be absolutely amazed at the difference in sound your system gets (all for the better mind you).

While I do agree there is a difference between copper and silver, just going silver in NO way assures one of "better" sound. The truth is that it is very system / room dependent. This applies to Doug's cables or any of the others you may have on your 'short list'.
              Dave

Comment

• M3-SRT8
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by twitch54
                While I do agree there is a difference between copper and silver, just going silver in NO way assures one of "better" sound. The truth is that it is very system / room dependent. This applies to Doug's cables or any of the others you may have on your 'short list'.
                Yeah, I'm thinking my system is pretty much what it's going to be, as the Interconnects I'm using (WireWorld Solstise 5's) are pretty good to begin with.

To tell the truth, it sounds great the way it is, and I'm thinking the 'problems' with the system may be recording quality. I'm listening to Lenny Kravitz's Greatest Hits CD at present, and MOST of it sounds sprectacular. A couple of tracks, in certain places, sound a tad edgy, but, I'm wondering whether it's just 'pop' recording curves rearing their (occasional) ugly heads.

Hmmmm?

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I tossed my WireWorld ICs when I tried my first pair of Silvercats. I may still have a pair around here somewhere , but I've gone to all Silvercats and Kingcats. The WWs are very good cables , but my system really benefited from the detail and soundstage improvements from the silver ICs. I won't use phrases like "night and day" , but it was a definite improvement for me. CATs offer a build quality you'd be hard-pressed to find in a copper cable for the money , let alone silver.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• dtb300
                    • Apr 2007

The Endless Debate

Originally posted by twitch54
                    I totally agree here with Twitch.

I have heard many cables in my setup, both IC and Speaker Cables of all types. For myself and my setup, I have only heard one Silver IC that I liked as all the others were too forward and overly detailed to the point of sounding harsh. The initial detail of some silver cables can be intriguing at first, but over time fatiguing. Copper can also sound warm and lush, but it too over time can be too syrupy, mushy, or whatever term you prefer to call it.

The Copper, Silver, or whatever metal a company is pushing as the best debate is as never ending as the cable debate itself.

While there can be a difference with sound between the two, one should be more concerned about the build, connectors, and topology of the cable first and foremost. The actual type of metal used is secondary, and one should not purchase a cable just based on "infinite 9's" or whatever marketing hype is used.

Listen to cables in your setup and decide if you like them or not - that is the real bottom line in cable purchasing decisions.

Dan

Comment

• M3-SRT8
                      • Jan 2008

The Solstice 5's are a silver-clad OFC braided Helix (their "DNA" technology) that gives, they say a smooth, yet detailed response. I'm inclined to agree. I believe this system is soo good that it doesn't suffer indifferently recorded/mixed CD's very well. It's the price you pay for truly superior sound. Garbage in/garbage out.

If I change anything, it might be the speaker cables, which are just a lower/mid level Monster Cable silver/copper multistranded 14 gauge. But, since the speaker runs are only 25 feet, I expect a change to 12, or even 10 gauge, to be minimal, at best.

On really good recordings, this system soars...

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"