X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hamblis
    • Dec 2007

Amplification for SF Guarneri Homage

Hi. I placed this note in the SF Club area of the forum but wonder if it's better placed here.

I have a pair of SF Guarneri Homage speakers and a Meridian 559 amplifier. The amp is great but aging and I'd like to get more from the speakers. The Guarneri's can deliver weight, scale, clarity and realism of tone and dynamics. For me, they are superb speakers and I'd like to get more of their qualities than I do at the moment.

I've auditioned amps like the Moon W8 which wasn't enough better to justify a change. I've also tried Moon W7 monoblocs, which are superb, but I have some WAF issues with price and cosmetics....

I know that I need to audition and let my ears do the deciding but I'd appreciate views and ideas in developing a short list of amps to consider - companies I've been researching include Plinius, Parasound and McIntosh.

I haven't discounted tubes but, having owned Prima Luna in the past and listened to Einstein recently, I suspect that I prefer SS characteristics overall. I also wonder about high power versus current and speed - I don't think the speakers need "lots of watts" but they do need controlling and the amplification needs to respond to large dynamic shifts.

Steve
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

Plinius owner (SA-102), so you know which way I'm leaning ! One of the best SS on the planet, IMO and for that matter most who given them listen !
    Dave

Comment

• Hamblis
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by twitch54
      Plinius owner (SA-102), so you know which way I'm leaning ! One of the best SS on the planet, IMO and for that matter most who given them listen !
      Dave, I think you also have an ARC LS26. Would you consider any of the Plinius preamps in the same league? I can control volume from my DAC but am also thinking about a preamp and system synergy.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"