X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • potatofarmer
    • Dec 2007

2 Subwoofers?

I'm building a home theater and I'm wondering if I should get another sub. My speakers are Paradigm studio 60 V3 and my sub is a Seismic 12. If I do get a second sub which one should I get? I know where there's a Servo 15a that I can get. Is it worth it? My room is 10 feet by 23 feet.

Thanks

Denis
    Last edited by potatofarmer; 07 December 2007, 18:51 Friday.
    • Nov 2005

HI Denis,
    Since you are not very specific about the important facts such as room size and preferred listening levels, etc, it is hard to advise you. And since you did not include this information I'll assume you are not very experienced with audio.

I'll answer generally. In almost all cases two subs are better than one. Folks don't realize how hard low bass is to reproduce at realistic volume and low distortion. Two subs mean each has to work half as hard. That translates into less cone excursion which lowers distortion. The larger the room and/or the higher the voluume the more important having two subs is.

Two subs also give you room placement options not available with one. This means that you can spread the standing waves to different positions and each will be half as intense. This is a very big advantage which translates into smoother bass.

Sparky

Comment

• potatofarmer
      • Dec 2007

Thanks Sparky! My room is 10 feet by 23 feet. What kind of sub would you recommend for a second one?

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Denis,
        I'm sorry but I don't get into "this one or that one" discussions. There are so many subs on the market, most of which I have never heard, that your guess is as good as mine.

Do your research. There is wealth of information on the web. I will say that a very important factor is the ability to integrate the subs with the main speakers. This is tricky because it is an often unreported characteristic. I believe that buying subs is maybe the most difficult of audio purchases.

Why? Because of the very limited opportunities to hear a variety of subs working in conjunction with your particular main speakers. This is the main reason I often suggest that the subs be made by the same company that made the main speakers. This may not give the ultimate bass performance but it does offer a degree of assurance that the subs and mains will work well together. You might want to consider calling the manufacturer of your main speakers and ask what they suggest.

I'm sure others will chime in with their ideas.

BTW, your room seems to be long and narrow in which smooth bass will probably will be difficult to achieve due to strong standing waves. Your room is a very good candidate for dual subs because of the placement options you will have. You may be better off buying dual subs that have a built-in equalizer and automatic room evaluation feature. Velodyne makes such a system.

Good luck. If you get it right you will have great sound.

Sparky

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"