X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BIF
    • Jul 2007

B&W 683's or Spendor S5e?

Buying a new pair of loudspeakers and I'm trying to decide between B&W's new 683's or spendor S5e. What do you guys think? Any other recommendations for a quality loudspeaker under $2,000? I listen to mostly rock, jazz, pop etc...

Speakers will be set up with Rotel amp/preamp.

Thanks.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Since you are using Rotel gear, I think the 683s will amaze you for their price. I don't think there's a better speaker (when matched with Rotel gear) for the price. Rotel & B&W is definitely a very good match, especially with what types of music you listen to. You won't be disappointed.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

The S5e is a phenominal speaker and it extremly well built too with lovely real wood veneers. I would be naturally swayed to the new B&W given my fondness for B&W however the Spendor would really have me thinking. If you get the chance to audition both, I'd love to hear your findings.
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• JudyLou
        • Apr 2006

Hi BIF

Like Vincent said – both very good speakers. I’m in the fortunate position to sell both.

Looks – well, the Spendor does look a little more refined.
        The B&W will drive easier as it has a 90db sensitivity to the Spendor’s 87db.
        The B&W has a better frequency response on a 3db ref axis, especially if your not going to use a separate subwoofer – but I wood recommend buying a decent sub later, no matter which of the two you buy.
        Sound wise – a matter of taste, the B&W gives a bit deeper base and just as tight as the Spendors.
        The B&W to me has a little more presence in the midrange, and it sound a slight little more airy without getting clinical. It still keeps to the B&W motto – very natural sound – Listen and you Will See! A very good all rounder.
        The Spendor has a good natural sound, not lacking in solid bass, but some might prefer the deeper base of the B&W – but then add a sub to the Spendor and you got a very refined & elegant sound.
        But then in South Africa the Spendor sells for 17894.00 over the B&W’s 11990.00.
        Before the coming of the new B&W600 series I would have put the Spendor in the B&W700 league. So, stand alone, value for money – more would go for the B&W.

Money and taste is definitely going to be a deciding factor.

That’s just my take.
        Lourens

Comment

• BIF
          • Jul 2007

Thanks for your input. Seems like everyone is leaning toward the B&W's.

How about these other models...

Focal.JM Lab chorus series 816

Quad 22L

Revel Concerto F12

Does that change anything or do most people still go with the 683's?

Also, I found a pair of Spendor's for $1,600, so they wouldn't cost much more than the B&W's...

THanks for your help.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Well I think most people here (with this being a B&W forum site)...are going to lean towards B&Ws.

That's why I tried to stray away from saying how good B&Ws are (and not saying the others are lacking, because they aren't), but going more for the combo of gear and speakers you'd be using.

The only real way you're going to find out what sounds best is to demo with your own ears. All the speakers you picked are very similar in quality, each just has it's own little nuances and it'll be your ears that need to determine what you like best.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• dknightd
              • Mar 2006

You really have to buy the ones you like best.

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

The Spendors look very similar in design to the Epos speakers.
                Russ

Comment

• jack667
                  • Jul 2007

the 683s are great - I have had them for around 2 weeks now - can't think of anything much better for my taste around this price.
                  B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• laneza01
                    • Feb 2007

I have the Klipsch Rf-83's and got them for under 2000 (2699 retail) and i listen to mostly rock/rap and love em. i have em crossed over at 60 hz with the rest goin to a sub but even in 2 ch mode they really sound good IMO and thats only with a reciever (the speakers are 100 db efficent i believe). alot of people say rotel and klipsch go well together...(however they're mostly people who like Klipsch to begin with). You need to give em a listen tho cuz I think its sorta a hate or love thing with the Horns. I actually got hooked on klipsch by listening to a friends way less expensive Synergy's. and while i did listen to the 6 series about a year ago (i think, mighta been one step below) and they just really didn't do anything for me...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"