X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Dolby HD and DTS HD ?

Hi Guys,

Are there any CDs or DVDs out there that have Dolby true HD and DTS HD or Lossless technology CD etc??? If you have a processor that can detect and play these formats, then must you have the source such as the CDs and DVDs that have these formats on them to be able to play them?? Blue ray and HD DVD do not have these Audio formats ,as far as I know, so where can you get any CDs or DVDs that would have these Audio formats??

Thanks for the Kind help!! ;x(
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Chinets, you've touched upon a distant future goal of mine which is to enjoy music which has been recorded in the best possible way harnessing better technologies than are available today, whatever these may be. I don't think that I can offer a direct answer to what you are looking for ... but I can share an opinion or two. Hope that is is of some help.

My feel is that these two Dolby & DTS lossless compression technologies are new and have yet to find their way into recording studios whose main intention is to produce beautiful sound for the audiophile. I think that the main intention is to use these for movie soundtracks and thus one should see them becoming usable on the next generation of formats focusing mainly on movies/live music recordings rather than dedicated studio audio recordings. I don't know if one can find downloadable samples on the web which you can burn to CD/DVD to try out.

The existing lossless audio technologies used on SACD & DVD-A (MLP) have not really taken off for a variety of reasons. One main one, I believe, is insufficient marketing. I have become frustrated with these technologies as, generally speaking, these discs are difficult to get hold of.

What I have found is that for critical listening the good old redbook CD is able to rock my world and then some. Of course, such CD must be well recorded or else it's tantamount to opening the door & Christina is not there. :cry:

I have a feel that CDs are going to be around for a long time (as is vinyl) and this, combined with my passion for critical listening, sparked my decision to invest in a reference quality upsampling CD player. At present I'm slowly building up a new CD library of well recorded pieces which satisfies like nothing has up till now.

At some stage I hope to enter the new format arena. For now, I'm content to wait it out a little longer & observe what goes down.

Good luck.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
      • Aug 2001

Are there any CDs or DVDs out there that have Dolby true HD and DTS HD or Lossless technology CD etc??
      Only HD DVD and BD have them.

If you have a processor that can detect and play these formats, then must you have the source such as the CDs and DVDs that have these formats on them to be able to play them??
      You have to have them to play them, yes.

Blue ray and HD DVD do not have these Audio formats ,as far as I know,
      Sure they do, though not all. TrueHD is based on the lossless compression used for DVD-A. I don't think you'll see these used for music, though, as the iPod-loving public doesn't care too much. The difference between DVD-A and CD is fairly subtle compared to the difference between SD and HDTV...as seen in the public acceptance of each.

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Here's something promising to look out for:

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"