X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Phono No-No

This may seem like a peculiar question, especially since I don’t have a TT (yet!).
    I was given a Sumiko Blue Point with a damaged stylus.

I see that I can get a trade-in allowance at the Needle Dr. and get a Blue Point Special (EVO III) for ~ $265. Does anybody think this is a wise choice, or know of other options for getting the one I have repaired?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I've only heard one Sumiko Blue Point , but the upgrade sounds ok from what I've read-provided your phono stage is compatible with the cartridge output.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

I think it is hard to beat the blue point for bang for the buck. I like mine just fine. Not sure how the special compares, I assume it would be better. . .

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Stylus repair is not possible for the Sumiko MC carts... this from the manual:

"Moving coil cartridges must be traded-in for a new unit as the stylus/cantilever assembly is not user replaceable."

The trade-up offered by Needle Dr is not a special bargain, but rather the business model as devised by Sumiko... in other words, your gift cartridge translates to a decent discount on a new BPS.

That said, I've had an older BPS for years, and love it... if it was me with the discount-opp, I'd go for it... (my rig: Rega Planar 3, RB300, Sumiko BPS, Parasound PPH100)

But if you don't have other components yet, you might hold off and devise the synergy as you compile gear, rather than be forced to build the rig around an existing BPS... lotsa ways to go with vinyl.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
          -provided your phono stage is compatible with the cartridge output.
          My Carver C-19 has two phono inputs, one for MM, 47K impedance; and one for MC, switchable between 39 and 240 ohms impedance. So I am covered whichever way I go.
          Originally posted by gd
          But if you don't have other components yet, you might hold off and devise the synergy as you compile gear, rather than be forced to build the rig around an existing BPS... lotsa ways to go with vinyl.
          Can you guys recommend any synergistic TT’s in the $500 - $650 range that would be a good match for the Sumiko?
          Right now, I have my short list:
          Project Mk II or RM-5
          Sota Moonbeam
          I am not ruling out used via agon.
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• zmanbands
            • May 2007

Sp 11 pre amp impedance settings.

47/100/30/10/3 ohms fwiw.

Comment

• gd
              • Jan 2003

My hands-on experience is pretty much limited to my Planar 3, and I would enthusiastically recommend the new P3-24 based on that... no reviews yet to speak of, but initial buzz is very positive... their tonearms are universally praised as bang-for-the-buck performers... I'm admittedly going on years-old recollections of Carver gear, but I speculate a P3/BPS would match up great with your rig... as the P3-24 is brand-new, you might find bargains on the prior model P3.

Sorry, we can’t find the page you’re looking for.

The Project's are certainly well-regarded contenders, and Music Hall is the other name recurringly mentioned around this price point... SOTA used to be a 'grail' TT mfr, but there is relatively little discussion of them out there these days, in fact I was surprised to find they made a TT in this range... but certainly worth auditioning if you can.

Yes, auditioning vinyl rigs is inconvenient at best... but if you have a local retailer, it might be worth browsing, auditioning what they have, and maybe even encounter a used/demo/consignment upscale rig.
              greg (gd to you)
              Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
              production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Yah, isn’t it the Rega RB300 tone arm that is the one considered the ‘giant killer’?

The new P1 has gotten great reviews, and I today just sow one on Agon for~$270!
                That was hard to pass up! A used P3 would be nice, too.

I was not considering MH, never heard one and have not found a dealer near-by. I have, however heard a few of the Projects, ( my best friend has an RM9 that is how I aquired the cartrige) and they sound good to me.

Thanks for the help, guys. With luck, I’ll be spinning the ‘big black’ by the end of the year.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I believe the Music Hall TTs have Pro-Ject arms.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"