X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Equal Length Speaker Cables?

Why do speaker cables need to be the same length? Isn't this especially hard if you are running a 5 channel SACD setup and your rear speaker is a 25 ft run along a wall from your amp. That would mean you'd need 5 times 25 ft= 125 ft of cable. Some say its important to have same lengths for matching impedance and/or inductance if I recall correctly. This can get pricey especially if the cable is $25+/ft! Even for the front 2 channels. If one speaker is 15 ft away from amp and the other is right next to it or 5 ft away then you need to roll up that extra 10 ft. I even heard rolling up speaker wire can cause inductance problems. :E Any thoughts? -Regards, Russ
    Russ
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Here's a question. Have you ever heard a difference in the length of cable?

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Don't some of the better receivers and pre/pros have the capacity to adjust the time phase of the audio signals , so they arrive in a coherent fashion? My music system is seperate from my HT , but my speaker cables (music) are equal length. Probably 'cuz they're sold that way. I never checked the cheesy wire on my HT speakers. :scratchhead:
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Your wires would have to be different in length by ~200,000 meters to introduce ~0.001 second delay difference.

However, excessive lengths of wire FAR less can introduce RCL losses that can somewhat alter the FR of the system. Probably still talking one or two hundred of feet of moderate gauge wire to do that.
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

I have different lengths of speaker cable for my set up. I used to run equal lengths of cables previously but the cables broke so I had to get a new set. I honestly could not tell them apart even though one cost 300 dollars and was equal lengths and the other cost 50 dollars and was in different lengths.

Comment

• wildfire99
            • Aug 2005

How about long cables that someone has coiled up to take up the slack?
            - Patrick
            "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• kingpin
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wildfire99
              I think that is a no-no, isn't it. :T
              Cables should never be rolled or coiled up from what I understand. :T

Coiling up cables can introduce a vortex or even a black hole and your speakers and your audio equipment could disappear and enter a whole new Time Continuum. :B :B

Sorry, I just finished a night shift and am a littke looped right now.

Mike
              Call me "MIKE"
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
              CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
              CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
              Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• whoaru99
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by wildfire99

The only way you will be truly convinced it to try it yourself both ways.
                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Russ L
                  • Jul 2006

Thanx everyone for your input. I get a bit nervous when the audio consultant at my hi-fi shop tells me I'm WASTING MY INVESTMENT of $600 dollars on expensive bulk cable @$17 dollars a foot plus terminations if I don't get the same length for the left, right and center channels. Looks like the consensus here is that it doesn't matter for small differences in length between cables and might cause a problem over very long length diiferences. -Russ
                  Russ

Comment

• wkhanna
                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

I'm surely no expert, but from the majority of what I have read and assuming it to not all be gospel, slight variations in length should have no discernible effect. However, I have 'heard' that less that eight foot lengths can have a negative influence. Of course, the first thing one thinks upon hearing that is the persons motive for saying such a thing, as in...... they might want to sell as much wire as possible.
                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wildfire99
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Russ L
                      Thanx everyone for your input. I get a bit nervous when the audio consultant at my hi-fi shop tells me I'm WASTING MY INVESTMENT of $600 dollars on expensive bulk cable @$17 dollars a foot plus terminations if I don't get the same length for the left, right and center channels.
                      Well there's your problem. The laws of physics from our world don't apply in the pocket dimensions of "hi-fi" audio stores, where suddenly special braids and ceramic puck stands and matted grill cloth woven only from the fur of black cats born during a full moon makes your audio system sound 50, 80, even 120% better. Just put those expensive terminations next to your speakers and awe at the sudden increase in richness and air being released from what would ordinarily be cheap plastic cones and wood veneer.

It's too bad really, because hi-fi pocket dimensions can be fun at times. I find that the exchange rate also gets skewed, causing my real world money to be consumed at a 8:1 ratio (8 real world dollars for every 1 pocket dimension dollar), otherwise I would probably get in on more of those deals.
                      - Patrick
                      "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Russ L
                        Why do speaker cables need to be the same length? Isn't this especially hard if you are running a 5 channel SACD setup and your rear speaker is a 25 ft run along a wall from your amp. That would mean you'd need 5 times 25 ft= 125 ft of cable. Some say its important to have same lengths for matching impedance and/or inductance if I recall correctly. This can get pricey especially if the cable is $25+/ft! Even for the front 2 channels. If one speaker is 15 ft away from amp and the other is right next to it or 5 ft away then you need to roll up that extra 10 ft. I even heard rolling up speaker wire can cause inductance problems. :E Any thoughts? -Regards, Russ
                        Russ,

The longer a piece of wire is, or the narrower its gauge is, the greater its resistance. The greater resistance a speaker cable has the more power is lost between the amp and the speaker causing the speaker to play less loudly. Therefore if you have a very short cable on one speaker and a very long cable on the other speaker, the speaker with the longer cable will be quieter. It is therefore recommended that speaker cables should be the same gauge, the same length and as short as possible. However, unless the difference in cable length or gauge is substantial the difference in volume will be undetectable. Having said that, our hobby is all about achieving audio perfection, so the rule concerning gauge and length is probably a good one to follow.

Nigel.

Comment

• littlesaint
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
                          Russ,

The longer a piece of wire is, or the narrower its gauge is, the greater its resistance. The greater resistance a speaker cable has the more power is lost between the amp and the speaker causing the speaker to play less loudly. Therefore if you have a very short cable on one speaker and a very long cable on the other speaker, the speaker with the longer cable will be quieter. It is therefore recommended that speaker cables should be the same gauge, the same length and as short as possible. However, unless the difference in cable length or gauge is substantial the difference in volume will be undetectable. Having said that, our hobby is all about achieving audio perfection, so the rule concerning gauge and length is probably a good one to follow.

Nigel.
                          With 4ohm speakers and 14awg cable, it would take a ~100ft difference in length to cause an audible difference in power (1dB). ~200ft for 8ohms.

Same for overall cable length. For 4ohm, there's no audible loss for lengths less than 100ft and 200ft for 8ohm at 14awg. 60/120ft for 16awg.
                          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• gd
                            • Jan 2003

I think you need a new 'audio consultant'...

Or at least a second opinion.

If I was you, I'd contact forum sponsor Lex/Doug of Catcables before you spend cable money at the 'consultant'.

Cast my vote for 'no audible difference' unless the cable lengths differ by miles.

Cable is arguably the highest profit-margin item at any B&M retailer.
                            greg (gd to you)
                            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

[QUOTE]
                              With 4ohm speakers and 14awg cable, it would take a ~100ft difference in length to cause an audible difference in power (1dB). ~200ft for 8ohms.[QUOTE]

Out of curiosity , who determined that a change of less than 1 db isn't audible?
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• littlesaint
                                • Jul 2007

[QUOTE=Alaric][QUOTE]
                                With 4ohm speakers and 14awg cable, it would take a ~100ft difference in length to cause an audible difference in power (1dB). ~200ft for 8ohms.

Out of curiosity , who determined that a change of less than 1 db isn't audible?
                                1dB is generally accepted as the Just Noticeable Difference for sound intensity in a normal human ear. There are many exceptions when you factor in reflections, louder levels, higher frequencies, so it is hardly a rule, but more a general guideline.

Just Noticeable Difference

UPDATE: Also know that this number is when measuring a single speaker. When you add other sources with their reflections, it becomes much harder to distinguish a change in intensity in a single source.
                                Last edited by littlesaint; 30 July 2007, 09:32 Monday.
                                Santino

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint

Same for overall cable length. For 4ohm, there's no audible loss for lengths less than 100ft and 200ft for 8ohm at 14awg. 60/120ft for 16awg.
                                  As I said, unless the difference in cable length or gauge is substantial the difference in volume will be undetectable. We do these things because we strive for perfection, not because they make a difference!

Comment

• littlesaint
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
                                    ...We do these things because we strive for perfection, not because they make a difference!
                                    Preaching to choir my friend :T

I just wanted to give the OP some theoretical numbers.
                                    Santino

Comment

• Russ L
                                      • Jul 2006

I don't want too much of this cable because its thicker than a garden hose. My house will end up looking like a construction site with big loops of cable if the audio consultant has their way. Thanks again for the advice. -Russ
                                      Russ

Comment

• dknightd
                                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                        The other half of the picture is the "damping factor" seen by the speakers.
                                        Compare the resistance of 100 feet of 14 gauge wire to the output impedance of a "high end" amplifier.

That said, I used to think equal length wires was a good thing. I've since changed my mind (as long as both the length and difference was reasonable).

I think you dealer might be right though, if you are paying $17 per foot for bulk wire you probably not getting your moneys worth. Note I said probably.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"