X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearwaterms
    • Nov 2006

tonal differences

okay,

I have a question. I am currently running a pieced together system for my home theatre. It's only temporary as I am going to replace each speaker shortly.

Currently I am running some budget Pioneer Towers up front and a JBL Northridge EC35 (3 way) center channel. Yesterday I was doing some calibrations and noticed that the test tone sounded vastly different from the two different speakers. From the center channel the tone sounded brighter and had less mass. However from either the left or right channel it seemed to have more body and almost sounded deeper. Is this the reciever or are the two speakers just that far off in sound quality? I have thought maybe the JBL's cross over crosses that test tone to a smaller driver which doesn't do a good job of reproducing that sound? where as the pioneer designers choose a bigger driver?
  • NonSense
    • Nov 2003

It is generally a good idea to use speakers from the same manufacturer (at minimum)across the front of your HT system. (Main L/R and center channel) Selecting these three speakers from the same design series will further enhance the synergy. Speakers from the same series will use similar drivers, cabinet construction and crossover components in an attempt to produce a similarly voice set of speakers. The more similarly voiced speakers in the system, the smoother the transitions while the sound is being steered between speakers.
    Bruce

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I highly, highly, highly recommend to people that they use matching speakers for multichannel setups, or speakers that a manufacturer has designed to be used with each other. (i.e. my Klipsch Legend series speakers)
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"