X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearwaterms
    • Nov 2006

speakers in a closet? good or bad?

okay,

my question is this, in my home theatre room, on one wall there is a large closet, currently that is where all my gear resides. the screen is hung, and all the speakers sit inside it. The closet is empty, and the fronts of the speakers are flush with what would be the fronts of the door, currently there are the L-C-R and the subwoofer, however I recently got a new subwoofer so will be moving that to just outside the closet into the corner (to corner load it) What i am thinking about doing is to build a frame around the back of the closet, and sides, and cover the frame in black fabric, leave the screen where it is (hanging) and put the speakers flush with the screen. I would consider moving the screen to against the back wall, but that would put the speakers about 3' in front of the speakers, and im not sure how that will sound.

any ideas?

Pictures to follow shortly... in the next few days
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Speakers in a closet? Bad. Bad. And just maybe, bad.

The closet will act as a resonant chamber, bouncing the soundwaves from each speaker around and around, causing boomy, muddy, inarticulate sound. Having the A/V equipment (if it's well ventilated) and possibly the screen in there can be a good thing as it makes for a cleaner look in your theater room but you'll get much better sound if your speakers are out in the open.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• clearwaterms
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
      Speakers in a closet? Bad. Bad. And just maybe, bad.

The closet will act as a resonant chamber, bouncing the soundwaves from each speaker around and around, causing boomy, muddy, inarticulate sound. Having the A/V equipment (if it's well ventilated) and possibly the screen in there can be a good thing as it makes for a cleaner look in your theater room but you'll get much better sound if your speakers are out in the open.
      okay, then given that information, what would you do? the closet doesn't have doors, I could put the speakers slighty in front of the closet, and put the screen along the back wall, but that would put the driver a full 3 1/2' in front of the screen.

Also, we are talking about a very large cloest, it's almost the full width of the room, and it's only 3' Deep, the speakers will be flush with the front edge (remember no doors)

somebody else suggested hanging heavy wool objects, I was thinking I could hang wool fabric along all the walls of the speakers and bunch it up to absorb some of the port sound waves...

Comment

• alebonau
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by clearwaterms
        okay,

my question is this, in my home theatre room, on one wall there is a large closet, currently that is where all my gear resides. the screen is hung, and all the speakers sit inside it. The closet is empty, and the fronts of the speakers are flush with what would be the fronts of the door, currently there are the L-C-R and the subwoofer, however I recently got a new subwoofer so will be moving that to just outside the closet into the corner (to corner load it) What i am thinking about doing is to build a frame around the back of the closet, and sides, and cover the frame in black fabric, leave the screen where it is (hanging) and put the speakers flush with the screen. I would consider moving the screen to against the back wall, but that would put the speakers about 3' in front of the speakers, and im not sure how that will sound.

any ideas?

Pictures to follow shortly... in the next few days
        do post some pics.

speakers inside cabinets is usually a bad thing. as is putting bookshelf speakers on bookshelves.

that said try it. cant be very hard to try. you'd soon hear for yoru self the difference. then maybe try a few things people might suggest.
        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yes, closet/enclosure/case bad.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• clearwaterms
            • Nov 2006

okay,

I have taken a few quick pictures.

here is some backround.

When I put the theatre stuff in, I didn't know a whole lot about sound and what not, so I tried a few different things. What I ended up with was stretching fabric across the entire doorway, and placing the speakers behind the fabric. it's almost a sheer fabric, but I have a feeling it is doing wonders to destroy sound quality. The center channel is sitting behind the screen (which isn't accousticly transparent)

all these things are known no-no's, and will be corrected. However I wanted to take pictures and get everybody's idea of what should be done to fix it. I have attached a few pictures...

as you can see, it's a large closet and it's almose the full width of the room, it has no doors. to give you an idea, the screen is 90" in diagonal...
            Attached Files

Comment

• clearwaterms
              • Nov 2006

here are a few pictures taken with the screen removed and it shows what the closet looks like behind the fabric. The center channel is a JBL EC35 which has a bad driver, and needs to be serviced and the speakers are some non-descript floor standers. All the speakers are being replaced with new speakers, I am probably going to use DIY speakers, but have not decided on exactly what kind yet.
              Attached Files

Comment

• clearwaterms
                • Nov 2006

okay,

I have gone ahead and modified my picture to show you the idea of what I want to do.

The tall brown box with the big circle is a subwoofer (it's actually a SV-subwoofer)

currently I am thinking about using modula MT speakers for the three channels. the black fabric will be removed, and probably be reapplied, but this time around the back parimeter of the closet... the screen will either be moved to the back of the closet or left hanging in the front... the speakers will be on stands, and one will be under the screen, the other two will be to the left and right, the left and right will have the tweeter at ear level, however the center will have it as close to the bottom of the screen as possible, and tilted up at an angle so that the tweeter is pointed at ear level (probably about 10 degree's)
                Attached Files

Comment

• clearwaterms
                  • Nov 2006

okay,

here is some updates. I have not started construction yet, am going to start this weekend. My plan is to rip everything that is currently int he closet out, including the wooden closet organizer that the sheakers are currently residing on. Then I will glue insulation to the back walls and cover it with black fabric. The pink side will be exposed, and all walls will be covered. Next I will be building and installing a entertainment center which will sit in the closet and probably just out a few inches. the screen will be moved to the back wall and the speakers will sit with the front half of them exposed from the wall. (the closet is only about 2' deep)

I have not started to build new speakers yet, I am going to stick with the store bought cheapies, along with the SVS subwoofer. I do however plan to upgrade the speakers in due time. any thoughts?

also, I am still researching and asking questions on different speaker ideas, but am currently considering the Nat P's / the modula MT's / and possibly something like Thomas did with the magnepan MMG's and a 10 / 12" subwoofer.

Comment

• clearwaterms
                    • Nov 2006

***update***

okay, I have finished the speaker build. I have redone the closet with advice from people over at DIYaudio, and lined it with insulation that faces outward, and then draped black fabric over that. It sounds much better. I also upgraded the subwoofer along the way. Going from a JBL E150 (10" 100watt) to an SVS 25-31 passive (12" tube sube, powered by rythmatic 350watt plate amp) this subwoofer shakes my HOUSE...

The work on the room is still far from completed. I still have to repaint the room, install carpet, and close it off on one side. then its time to upgrade to some new speakers.

i can't wait... more pictures to follow
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"