X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allegiance
    • Sep 2006

Def Tech Power Ratings

Does anyone know how the power specs from the website are rated? For example, the studiomonitor series, the specs are below. Is the 225watts at 4 or 8 ohms? And is that watts or RMS? Does anyone know?
    Website link under specs.

StudioMonitor 450
    Dimensions 8-3/8"W x
    11-7/16"D x
    13"H
    Frequency Response 24 Hz — 30 kHz
    Nominal Impedance Compatible with 4 — 8 ohms
    Rec. Assoc. Amplification
    20 — 225 Watts
    Driver
    Complement 6-1/2" cast-basket polymer coned bass/midrange driver and a 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter with a 10" pressure-driven subwoofer.

Efficiency 90 dB
    Retail $329 ea.
    Finish Piano-Gloss Black, Gloss White or Golden Cherry

Our obsession to build best-in-class audio products all starts in the home and is forever aligned to exceed your unrelenting expectations. Shop here.
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Dunno for sure. Pose the question to Definitive. My questions have usually been answered with a day or two.

My guess is that your answer will be be something to the effect the speakers are compatible with this range of watts.

It's not THAT important to be concerned with the number of watts that speakers can handle. Most can handle quite a lot of clean power. The rule of thumb is when the speakers start to make strange popping or clunking noises, it's too loud - turn it down (usually giving speakers too much power). Or, if the music starts to sound harsh and flat, it's too loud - turn it down (usually running out of amplifier power).

All that said, my Definitive BP-30s are rated up to 500 watts. Well, I can tell you that they would not stand up very long to the full continuous and peak output of a Crown K2 which is rated at 500wpc.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"