X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CURATORIS
    • Aug 2006

speakers match

Last edited by CURATORIS; 12 November 2006, 22:39 Sunday.
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

My friend you have memory problems, look at your thread that you started on 11-1............ I think your back to square one again ????? !!
    Dave

Comment

• fauzigarib
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by CURATORIS
      Starting fron scratch, I am planning to buy a solid state power amplifier, a tube or solid state preamplifier and a pair of floor standing speakers (my first audio system ever).

Because of my geographic location (in the Caribbean) there are limitations in selections and availability for audition most of the electronics equipments so I must order without the pleasure of listen.

My musical preferences are Jazz, Lounge, Chill, (ELECTRONICA), and Rock.

I had the opportunity to listen to the B&W-703, PARADIGM STUDIO-100 and
      FOCAL CHORUS 836 V. They all sound very good and I need to decide which of these speakers match best and worst with the PARASOUND A-21/BAT VK-3ix combination that I am buying thru a local dealer.

I do really appreciate your advises, and help.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
      Great catch, Twitch...

The above was Curatorios' message in this thread. After doing a quick search on his other threads, this is what I came up with:

speakers match
      Views: 15 Posted By CURATORIS
      speakers match

Starting fron scratch, I am planning to buy a solid state power amplifier, a tube or solid state preamplifier and a pair of floor standing speakers (my first audio system ever).

Because of my...
      Forum: Audio Hideout 11-07-2006, 09:57 AM
      Replies: 3 Parasound And Bat
      Views: 94 Posted By CURATORIS
      Parasound And Bat

Starting fron scratch, I am planning to buy a solid state power amplifier, a tube or solid state preamplifier and a pair of floor standing speakers.

Because of my geographic location (in the...
      Forum: Audio Hideout 11-04-2006, 11:33 AM
      Replies: 3 selecting speakers, preamp and amp
      Views: 123 Posted By CURATORIS
      selecting speakers, preamp and amp

Starting fron scratch, I am planning to buy a solid state power amplifier, a tube or solid state preamplifier and a pair of floor standing speakers.

Forum: Audio Hideout 11-02-2006, 06:03 AM
      Replies: 15 Question about 2 CH Audio Equipment
      Views: 408 Posted By CURATORIS
      Question about 2 CH Audio Equipment

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

My Australian mates call that behaviour "coming the raw prawn".

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

eh??
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
            eh??
            Yeah. Eh???
            Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 16:52 Sunday.
            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigburner
              My Australian mates call that behaviour "coming the raw prawn".
              Quick, somebody translate that into Texan for me! :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

sneaker match is what you do when you have more than 1 pair of tennis shoes in the closet. Otherwise, you get to where your going and are like me. I was at the golf course one day, and realized I had 1 footie on and 1 tall sock. Boy did I feel stupid. :lol: At least I had both golf shoes on, so my "sneakers were matched".
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                  Quick, somebody translate that into Texan for me! :B
                  Well now thanks bigburner, now see what you made me do - I found this....

"Prawn"

The literal definition of prawn (a word which appears in the Middle English period, but whose origin is unknown) as an edible shellfish is obviously part of standard English.

It is, however, the figurative use of the word to describe 'a fool or someone deserving of contempt' that seems to be predominantly Australian. As early as 1893 it is used to described the hapless worker:

Well boys, the 'Worker' is a prawn - a fool for all his pains. He has the muscle and the brawn. The 'Fat Man' has the brains. D. Healey Cornstalk (1893).

It is used in this sense through the twentieth century:

1944 L. Glassop, We were Rats:What an odious prawn this Anderson is, I thought.

1977 C. McCullough, Thorn Birds: 'Jussy, this is Cardinal de Bricassart!.. Kiss his ring, quickly.' The blind-looking eyes flashed scorn. 'You're a real prawn about religion... Kissing a ring is unhygienic.

In 1940 we have our first evidence of the combination raw prawn. This combination means 'an act of deception; a "swiftie"; an unfair action or circumstance, a "raw deal"; something which is "difficult to swallow".' Typical usages include:

1940 Any Complaints (Newcastle) 4 April: Voice.. is invariably heard muttering something about a raw prawn.

1946 R.D. Rivett, Behind Bamboo: Raw prawn, something far-fetched, difficult to swallow, absurd.

1954 Queensland Guardian (Brisbane) 20 January: Snow says he thinks that this is the raw prawn. We do all the work, the mob behind Menzies gets all the dough.

1965 E. Lambert, Long White Night: Looking like a reprimanded schoolboy, he flushed and apologised: 'Sorry, Johnny. That was a bit like the raw prawn. Seriously, what's she like?'

In contemporary Australian English, however, the combination raw prawn is more likely to be heard in the idiom to come the raw prawn (on, over, with, etc.) meaning 'to attempt to deceive (a person); to misrepresent a situation'. The idiom is typically used in negative constructions - don't come the raw prawn with me. According to G.A. Wilkes, this expression originated in WW2 Services slang (A Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms 1978) and indeed the Australian National Dictionary 's first citation for it is 1942:

They argue there for hours - They start at early morn; Till a loud disgusted voice drawls out, `don't come the old raw prawn'. A.J. McIntyre, Putting over Burst

The following citations indicate how the idiom is typically used in Australian English:

1963 J. Wynnum, No Boats to Burn: `Don't come the raw prawn stunt with me,' the girl cried. 'That feller wouldn't shout his old woman a glass of water if she was dying of thirst out in the middle of the Nullabor!'

1973 Woman's Day (Sydney): `Don't come the raw prawn with me, mate,' he said. `I can get it back home at Woollies for that price.'

1983 Canberra Times 17 Nov.: Sceptical groans which were, if I translate them correctly, requests for Mr Hawke to stop coming the raw prawn.

Phew, if you managed to get all that.....
                  Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Ah. Ummm.... okay.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

I think you should give the guy a break. He's said he lives in the Carribean, so perhaps English isn't his native language. He probably cuts and pastes his previous posts so he can save time and mental energy in translation.

If the shoe (or sneaker, Doug) were on the other foot, I'm sure you'd want the same.

As far as the original question: it's tough for all of us to hear all the possible combinations of equipment and speakers. Everything is personal preference anyway. I would try to hear the specific combination if possible at the local dealer. I can tell you that Parasound and BAT both make solid stuff as do the 3 speaker manufactures. Me personally? I'd probably go for the Paradigms, but that's just me.
                      Danish

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dyazdani
                        I think you should give the guy a break.
                        No problem there, but I'm all over Nigel for "come the raw prawn".

Comment

• dyazdani
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                          No problem there, but I'm all over Nigel for "come the raw prawn".
                          Yeah, that's a new one for me too...
                          Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Exactly.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
                              Well now thanks bigburner, now see what you made me do - I found this....

"Prawn"

The literal definition of prawn (a word which appears in the Middle English period, but whose origin is unknown) as an edible shellfish is obviously part of standard English.

It is, however, the figurative use of the word to describe 'a fool or someone deserving of contempt' that seems to be predominantly Australian. As early as 1893 it is used to described the hapless worker:

Well boys, the 'Worker' is a prawn - a fool for all his pains. He has the muscle and the brawn. The 'Fat Man' has the brains. D. Healey Cornstalk (1893).

It is used in this sense through the twentieth century:

1944 L. Glassop, We were Rats:What an odious prawn this Anderson is, I thought.

1977 C. McCullough, Thorn Birds: 'Jussy, this is Cardinal de Bricassart!.. Kiss his ring, quickly.' The blind-looking eyes flashed scorn. 'You're a real prawn about religion... Kissing a ring is unhygienic.

In 1940 we have our first evidence of the combination raw prawn. This combination means 'an act of deception; a "swiftie"; an unfair action or circumstance, a "raw deal"; something which is "difficult to swallow".' Typical usages include:

1940 Any Complaints (Newcastle) 4 April: Voice.. is invariably heard muttering something about a raw prawn.

1946 R.D. Rivett, Behind Bamboo: Raw prawn, something far-fetched, difficult to swallow, absurd.

1954 Queensland Guardian (Brisbane) 20 January: Snow says he thinks that this is the raw prawn. We do all the work, the mob behind Menzies gets all the dough.

1965 E. Lambert, Long White Night: Looking like a reprimanded schoolboy, he flushed and apologised: 'Sorry, Johnny. That was a bit like the raw prawn. Seriously, what's she like?'

In contemporary Australian English, however, the combination raw prawn is more likely to be heard in the idiom to come the raw prawn (on, over, with, etc.) meaning 'to attempt to deceive (a person); to misrepresent a situation'. The idiom is typically used in negative constructions - don't come the raw prawn with me. According to G.A. Wilkes, this expression originated in WW2 Services slang (A Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms 1978) and indeed the Australian National Dictionary 's first citation for it is 1942:

They argue there for hours - They start at early morn; Till a loud disgusted voice drawls out, `don't come the old raw prawn'. A.J. McIntyre, Putting over Burst

The following citations indicate how the idiom is typically used in Australian English:

1963 J. Wynnum, No Boats to Burn: `Don't come the raw prawn stunt with me,' the girl cried. 'That feller wouldn't shout his old woman a glass of water if she was dying of thirst out in the middle of the Nullabor!'

1973 Woman's Day (Sydney): `Don't come the raw prawn with me, mate,' he said. `I can get it back home at Woollies for that price.'

1983 Canberra Times 17 Nov.: Sceptical groans which were, if I translate them correctly, requests for Mr Hawke to stop coming the raw prawn.

Phew, if you managed to get all that.....
                              Or to cut a long story short, "to come the raw prawn" means to attempt to deceive a person or to misrepresent a situation.

It's time some of you chaps visited Australia, and if you do, make sure you hop across the Tasman Sea and visit New Zealand where we have a few quaint expressions of our own.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

If you want to check out a genuine Aussie accent/vocabulary you have to watch a little film called "kenny" that was made recently on a shoe string budget. Its a mock-umentary all about a bloke that installs portable toilets at festivals and events. Paul Hogan's "crocodile dundee" was always a little too much, Steve Irwin was a little more down to earth, but Kenny is a classic. Everyone knows a Kenny, or had a Kenny install their plumbing or hot water system - a real gem.

Like many countries today too many young folk in Australia sound American (like) due to the saturation of US programs and movies. I love American flicks, but you have to mix it up with at least 50% from the rest of the world because there so many alternative life views out there to enjoy.
                                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Alloroc
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                  If you want to check out a genuine Aussie accent/vocabulary you have to watch a little film called "kenny" that was made recently on a shoe string budget. Its a mock-umentary all about a bloke that installs portable toilets at festivals and events. Paul Hogan's "crocodile dundee" was always a little too much, Steve Irwin was a little more down to earth, but Kenny is a classic. Everyone knows a Kenny, or had a Kenny install their plumbing or hot water system - a real gem.

Like many countries today too many young folk in Australia sound American (like) due to the saturation of US programs and movies. I love American flicks, but you have to mix it up with at least 50% from the rest of the world because there so many alternative life views out there to enjoy.

Briz,

As you know all the Aussie shows are very popular up here in the 'Home Countries'. My wife is a Kath and Kim addict. While I get the irony and it is funny, it drives me nuts.....

Anyhow, you following the rugby at all? I'm looking forward to the weekend and the Wallabies in Lansdown Road.

V.
                                  Vincent.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

Or to cut a long story short, "to come the raw prawn" means to attempt to deceive a person or to misrepresent a situation.

It's time some of you chaps visited Australia, and if you do, make sure you hop across the Tasman Sea and visit New Zealand where we have a few quaint expressions of our own.
                                    I was going cut it short myself.... but didn't

Anyhow, I was in NZ about 15 years ago visiting an Aunt in Auckland - she emigrated years ago and I have a rake of relations over there.

I'm considering a return next summer.....

V.
                                    Vincent.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Briz,

As you know all the Aussie shows are very popular up here in the 'Home Countries'. My wife is a Kath and Kim addict. While I get the irony and it is funny, it drives me nuts.....

Anyhow, you following the rugby at all? I'm looking forward to the weekend and the Wallabies in Lansdown Road.

V.
                                      Yeah, I know what you mean about Kath and Kim. Its amusing, but....

The good thing about kenny is that it is more subtle. I believe kenny's father in the film is actually the actors father.

Despite the huge popularity of rugby in Aus I do not follow the game myself. I'm sure that any local Aussies will make their presence known !
                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• bigburner
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

V.
                                        I'll definitely be following the rugby this weekend, but of course the big game is the All Blacks against France. Our 47-3 win last week was astounding, but I never take the French for granted.

As much as I love Australia I'll be supporting your lads as the Aussies have given us too much pain over the past few years.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

I'll definitely be following the rugby this weekend, but of course the big game is the All Blacks against France. Our 47-3 win last week was astounding, but I never take the French for granted.

As much as I love Australia I'll be supporting your lads as the Aussies have given us too much pain over the past few years.

Let's carry this on over at After Midnight!
                                          Vincent.

Comment

• Boombox
                                            • Oct 2005

Briz,

V.
                                            This thead is going to get killed.... 8O

Don't want to p#$s off the locals here, but the Irish were just tooooooooo good 'gainst SA......great win...and congrats!!! :T

Who's going to the dungeons this week-end....England or South Africa......??? One of two coaches is definitey getting fired after Saturday.....!! :B

PS: When's NZ going to win the world cup......?? Rugby that is......

My dad is not even close to there, but he has every official All Black rugby jersey sinces 2001.....
                                            Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• CURATORIS
                                              • Aug 2006

I am sorry and good bye

First of all, I wish to apologize for my stupid, unclear and vague questions. My English language skills are limited since my native language is Spanish (thanks for understand dyazdani).

I was trying to put together a 2 ch audio system but in my country there only three small audio dealers. Because of their small business volume, the buyers had to place the orders without the opportunity to listen before buy.

The best of those dealers was going out of business by November 14. That’s why I was choosing the components in the wrong order and in a hurry. So I came to this forum looking for some advises from knowledgeable members. I did not mean to do something wrong so my apologies.

Comment

• CURATORIS
                                                • Aug 2006

Comment

• CURATORIS
                                                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                                                  Great catch, Twitch...

The above was Curatorios' message in this thread. After doing a quick search on his other threads, this is what I came up with:

speakers match
                                                  Views: 15 Posted By CURATORIS
                                                  speakers match

Because of my...
                                                  Forum: Audio Hideout 11-07-2006, 09:57 AM
                                                  Replies: 3 Parasound And Bat
                                                  Views: 94 Posted By CURATORIS
                                                  Parasound And Bat

Forum: Audio Hideout 11-04-2006, 11:33 AM
                                                  Replies: 3 selecting speakers, preamp and amp
                                                  Views: 123 Posted By CURATORIS
                                                  selecting speakers, preamp and amp

Forum: Audio Hideout 11-02-2006, 06:03 AM
                                                  Replies: 15 Question about 2 CH Audio Equipment
                                                  Views: 408 Posted By CURATORIS

________________________________________
                                                  Sorry for my idiotic question, but I'm fairly new to 2 CH Audio Equipment and have never heard of several of the brands...
                                                  is curatoris(latin for engineer) not curatorios!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• CURATORIS
                                                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                                                    I think you should give the guy a break. He's said he lives in the Carribean, so perhaps English isn't his native language. He probably cuts and pastes his previous posts so he can save time and mental energy in translation.

If the shoe (or sneaker, Doug) were on the other foot, I'm sure you'd want the same.

As far as the original question: it's tough for all of us to hear all the possible combinations of equipment and speakers. Everything is personal preference anyway. I would try to hear the specific combination if possible at the local dealer. I can tell you that Parasound and BAT both make solid stuff as do the 3 speaker manufactures. Me personally? I'd probably go for the Paradigms, but that's just me.
                                                    Thanks for your tip and understanding, colleague.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • May 2005

Sorry CURATORIS, we did get a bit off topic.

From the advice you received in various threads what made good sense to you?

Nigel.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Gentlemen, let's give him a break. He hasn't posted anything inflammatory or un-civil. He may be new to the 'net and is definitely new to The Guide, so he may not know the etiquette yet. Just a simple

Please don't post the same thing in multiple forums. Most members run through most if not all the forums, so your post will be seen. If it's not in the best forum for the question, a moderator or admin can move it for you.

would be enough. Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

I agree--no problem, Curatoris! You're welcome to hang out here and post.
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• chinets
                                                            • Jun 2005

Wasn't the saying " Put the Shrimp on the Barbie" ????????? I guess that is after it has been a raw prawn!!!!

Curatoris: Speak up ,we all want to listen to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are all ears ,and here to help you my friend!!!!!

Sneakers,speakers or whatever, just tell us your story ,and we will give you input. Right guys??

Cheers and hang in there!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"