X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Thiel 3.7

Has anyone out there laid their ears on the New Thiel?
    Greg
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I asked my dealer yesterday, and he said they haven't got them yet. I thought they were supposed to be released this past summer? I dunno.

They did still have that pair of CS2.4's. Someday when I have my own giant treated room that can handle these they will be mine! :twisted: :rofl:

I also listened to the PCS monitors again. I truely feel those are mediocre bookshelves that I wouldn't pay $1000 for, nevermind $3000.

The 3.7's look like they have some pretty funky driver's in 'em. Looks like some cone from a boy-racer crutchfield catalog...
    ~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Hey Nicholas I thought you would be listening all morning

That's what the press release said, and my dealer keeps saying they
      are coming. Thiel says that the 2.4 is perfect for a 10x12x8 room
      I wonder what room size would required for the 3.7?

I'm wondering if they are having some issues with it :scratchhead:
      Greg

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

10x12x8?

Man, I wouldn't dream of putting those in a room that small! I thought with the type of crossovers they used you wanted 9' minimum, plus being a tower, 2-3' behind that. Well, I guess if you sat right up against one wall and put them 3' out that would make 9'.

I dunno. My room is 18'x12'x9' (with two corner closets that reduce the square footage a bit).
        -----
        Oh, I'll have these S4's going all day. They're incredible.
        ~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

You should arrange for a home audition of the 2.4
          Greg

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

HAHAHAHA!

I'm going to get at least 3yrs out of these S4's. Next on my list to complete my "stack" will be the Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player. Then it will be a pair of Velodyne Digital Drive 12's or 15's (I need to A/B them). I have lots of expensive "projects" starting this January (going back to school and continuing my pilot's license on towards a commerical ticket in addition to my new XTerra I bought last month), so I'll probably get the 1072 later this year, and then get one Digital Drive each year after that. So I have my HT Budget spent for the next 2.5 yrs at least... :lol:

How about you? Why not grab seven of them for the ultimate 2ch/7chHT compromise... :rofl:

While you're at it, pick up a DD18 for each channel. :T
            ~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
              • May 2005

NO HT for me 2 channel only My audition list is growing, with an increased budget the list just grows.
              Greg

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Well then! Grab a pair of CS-7.2's along with a double stack of DD-18's for each speaker. Thats would only run you a bit over US$30k. Then figue in standard discount - heck, it's a bargain! :lol:
                ~Nick

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                  I'm going to get at least 3yrs out of these S4's.
                  Care to make a small wager on that?
                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Yeah, I'll bet you those S4's!
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

This could be interesting. Let's see what happens when the V2 comes out
                      Greg

Comment

• Nick M
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Oh man I hope not... I can't afford it! :lol:

From what I've listened to, the only other thing in reachable range for me would be the pair of Thiel CS-2.4's, but again, I need more room for those. Right now I think the S4's are going to be the best speaker for my room/budget. I'm definetly going to give the new S4's a listen for sure. With the new tweeter and mid-range I'm curious. I'm truely happy with these though - every aspect of them. The next thing (after the CD player) will be the DD12's or DD15's so I can be completely happy with kettle drums and pipe organs.
                        ~Nick

Comment

• Nick M
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Anyhoo, has anyone heard the 3.7's?
                          ~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
                            • May 2005

Not released yet! They hope it will be by the end of the year.
                            Greg

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Heard them at CEDIA. Impressive mch setup with smaller Theils in center and surround.

Kal
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Carl V
                                • Apr 2005

They were at RMAF...as were the samller 2.4's

It's hard to draw any sort of conclusion at a show.
                                But they sounded pretty darned good. To be honest
                                tho' I thought the new Pioneer coaxial driver speaker
                                was it's equal....I'd imagine they are both similarily priced.
                                I didn't ask the $-price. The Theil looked nicer tho'.

Comment

• Bob Stern
                                  • May 2006

Thiel just advised me they hope to ship the CS 3.7 in December. They said the prototypes they have demo'd at shows lack the aluminum front baffle and aluminum top cap they intend for the production version.

The Thiel rep acknowledged they are still working on the manufacturing process, which I would interpret to mean there's no way to predict when they will solve whatever problems they are having. He said the problems relate to the cabinet, not the drivers.

This is pure conjecture, but it may be that their existing process is expensive and they are experimenting with more efficient alternatives to hold down the retail price of the speaker.

Comment

• ColoKurt
                                    • Mar 2005

I listened to the Thiel CS3.7's briefly at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last weekend. I thought they sounded pretty sweet and looked terrific. There's a short blurb about them on the Stereophile website from RMAF.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• sokoban
                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Bob Stern
                                      The Thiel rep acknowledged they are still working on the manufacturing process, which I would interpret to mean there's no way to predict when they will solve whatever problems they are having. He said the problems relate to the cabinet, not the drivers.

This is pure conjecture, but it may be that their existing process is expensive and they are experimenting with more efficient alternatives to hold down the retail price of the speaker.
                                      If they're having problems with construction of cabinets, it might be that they are having trouble finding people to make them. I live pretty close to Thiel in Lexington, and they seem to have been hiring cabinet makers specifically for quite a while now.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"