X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

Hi again Steve,
    Well I think I've got my feedback problem 90% licked. I got out my old isolation feet again. Put those under the turntable feet, this helped alot. Then I put a piece of drywall between the isolation feet and the turntable feet. That helped some more. Now using the needle on a stationary record test I do not get any feedback until I turn the volume knob to a point that would have my amp clipping like mad if music was actually playing. I think I'll make a thicker, heavier, intermediate shelf, and try to make it look pretty, then I think I'll be done - again.

I think you can bring over Dave Brubeck, Take Five, and hear it without feedback.

BTW if you buy that Music Hall MMF-9 and it doesn't solve your problems I'd be happy to trade you my table for it

I've reread this thread. I think you have four things working against you.
    1) your turntable is close to the speakers.
    2) your turntable is sitting on top of a tuner (seperated only by a thin piece of wood).
    3) your turntable is sitting in a stand that sits on the floor (probably a wood floor
    that vibrate like crazy.)
    4) your turntable may not have good built in isolation.

I was thinking the other day that granite counter tops are very popular these days.
    Then I noticed that my turntable would fit in the kitchen sink. I don't know what they do with sink cut outs, probably discard them.
    I wonder if kitchen counter installers might be a good source for cheap heavy flat
    rocks to go under a turntable.

Perhaps if instead of placing your turntable on top of your tuner, a thick heavy sturdy shelf would be more suitable. You could go one step further, first the sturdy shelf, then some absorbing feet (sorbothane?) then another piece of rock, then your turntable on top.
    Actually drywall (gypsum board for the non-US folks) has some potential benefits. It is cheap (or free if you have a scrap in your basement like I did). It doesn't ring as much as rock. But rock looks so much nicer . . .

Comment

• SteveT
      • Sep 2006

Hey Dave,

Yes, I can always try those experiments....though a good solid piece of granite would look nice and probably work to improve the sound feedback issue. I can go to a hardware store to see if their installers have an extra piece of granite countertop cutouts...that is a great idea!! Also, I think my cartridge I have is very microphonic as when I put the needle on a stationary record (I unplugged the turntable) I still got the feedback when I turned up the volume. So I think if I get a better cartridge with better, more modern tonearm materials that they make now and better isolation, I think that will greatly improve the situation, however I can try some isolation techniques with my current turntable to see how that works. ........ Are you familiar with properly balancing a tonearm?? I was thinking of getting that Michael Fromer's (??) DVD guide to setting up any turntable.....?? It seems like it would be interesting to watch.....

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

I've never seen that DVD. It might be worth the money. I don't know.
        I feel comfortable setting up turntables. First I get the angles and overhang set up (using a geo disk).
        Then I get the weight about right (I just balance it at zero, then use the built in scales as a guide).
        Some people suggest buying a tracking weight scale, but I don't see the need. Sure the markings may be off by 10-20% but I'm not concerned about that. Most cartridiges have a range of weight they work with. I use the markings to get a starting point, then go from there. I haven't played with vertical tracking angle for awhile. It does make a difference. But my current arm does not allow for that adjustment, I'm almost grateful for that. One less thing to mess with, and on a good table/arm combo I assume it is designed to work reasonably well (as long as use use the stock matt etc).
        Maybe you should bring your table over when you can visit. We can compare. I still suspect your biggest problem is the shelf you have your table on - but I'm willing to be wrong.

Comment

• twitch54
          • Apr 2006

Steve, buy the DVD, I can tell by what your going through it would be a worthwhile investment. I own it , and I've been playing analog for forty plus years !! My first Stereo was in 1961, Stromberg Carlson, I actually miss that old console !!
          Dave

Comment

• SteveT
            • Sep 2006

Hey Dave,

That may be a great idea to bring my TT over. That way we can compare as you said and it would be under the same conditions as yours is.

And Twitch, I think I will get that DVD. It would be very enlightening I'm sure!!

-- Steve

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"