X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angioguy
    • Nov 2005

High End CD/DVD Mega Multidisc Changer

I've scoured the net in search of a high end cd mega multichanger/jukebox; something on the order of >400 cd/dvd's. Right now I have the Sony CDP-CX455 400 disc changer, which has performed well for me for the last few years, but it's starting to crap out on me, and I think it's time for an upgrade.

I am well aware that better quality is found in dedicated single disc units, but the convenience of a large carousel is something I've found I can't be without.

Anybody know of a solid, high end device out there? Looking to spend <US $2500.

Thanks
    B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Is a media server/HTPC an option?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Angioguy
      • Nov 2005

Sure, but is it going to cost an arm and a leg?
      B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Depends. If you buy a media server from one of the companies that make them, it might cost more. I don't know much about the pre-manufactured ones. If you build your own media server, it'll be cheaper. If you're computer savvy, you can build it exactly how you want it. It's not that hard. Rip your CDs with lossless compression (400CDs will require aprx 250GB) and use ASIO to have perfect bit-to-bit reproduction. You can then use your choice of external dac. You can buy a remote, use your choice of front-end, and have it working exactly like you want it. I think my server in total has cost me a total of $500-600 (I'm always changing little things to make it better for me). If you want to know more, you can send me a PM.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• sokoban
          • Apr 2006

This works well as a DVD changer. As queso said, using a good ripper and a lossless format works really well for CD's. I like cdparanoia or any secure ripping program.

For audio out, a good audio card or ieee 1394 breakout box that can do 5.1 or 7.1 is nice. M-Audio's 7.1 card is really good for the price, as are most of their other products.

For video out, I would go with any ATI 1xxx series card or any NVDIA 7XXX series card as they have really nice descaling abilities.

Alles over computerhardware en consumentenelektronica: 6.379 reviews, 484.817 producten, 65.502 nieuwsberichten, prijsvergelijking met 147 shops.

Buy a couple 500 gig drives and you'll be set for a while.

Comment

• sokoban
            • Apr 2006

Oh yeah, and with the sony unit you can daisy chain up to 5 of them so that you can store up to 1000 DVD's or copy 5 CD's at once

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

Have you checked Marantz? or Pioneer?

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I second the vote for a media server :T
                Jason

Comment

• Angioguy
                  • Nov 2005

I'm not aware of any company mass producing a cd changer that plays more than 400 cd/dvd's. The only one I know of is Sony (400).

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"