Consonance CD120-the final piece for my 2 channel system!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pearsall001
    • Dec 2005

Consonance CD120-the final piece for my 2 channel system!!

I just picked up a Consonance CD120 CD player that rounds out my 2 channel rig. I really like the way this unit playes music. Very dynamic, great soundstage, very tight & powerfull bass, just very musical to my ears. Not to mention getting a great deal on it being a demo piece. The rest of the rig is a Conrad Johnson PV14L tube preamp, a VanAlstine OmegaStar 440EX (220x2) ss amp, playing thru AAD 2001 monitors. I am tickled pink on how this system sounds. I think I wiil be quite content for some time to come. Cheers to great music listening!!!!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ooh, nice rig Phil! :T Cheers back at ya'

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• BTB
      • Jan 2006

Hi Phil..

Congrats, that's great news. I have a particular interest in Consonance products at the moment, so thanks for posting on this little known (but clearly quality) Chinese brand. I don't think I've heard a bad thing about their sound quality yet, from owners or proffesional reviewers.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a CD 120 Linear (the non-upsampling version of your one) & the 200wpc dual mono "Calaf" valve/transistor hybrid integrated amp from their "Forbidden City" range (for a home demo). Serious British mag "Hi Fi+" reckons that the CD 120 is the most "analogue" sounding "cheap" CD player they've ever heard. Now that's worth getting excited about!

One thing I do want to ask about is the tray mechanism... seems there have been some reliability "issues" with review samples in this regard. I'm sure that the manufacturer would've adressed this issue since, but have you had any trouble with this?

Cheers, enjoy your music.

Comment

• pearsall001
        • Dec 2005

BTB, I had both units, the CD120 w/ upsampling & the CD120 linear both hooked up at the same time. It was a snap to do an A/B listening review by the remote. It was amazing how both players drawers opened & closed at exactly the same time. When I A/B back & forth the song was playing the same exact track all in sync. It was pretty easy to compare them both musically this way. In my system & to my ears I prefered the CD120 w/ upsampling over the CD120 linear. To my ears it just sounded more dynamic w/ a broader & deeper soundstage. The CD120 was more laid back & not nearly as dynamic, the soundstage was more compressed. Now don't forget this my preference in my system. You might experience the exact opposite in your system. Try to get both units at the same time & fun with it. The drawer's in both units performed flawlessly, I don't think this is a concern at all.

Phil

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

I've read great things about that player....

HiFi+ gave it a glowing review. Great value, also.

I really like that Consonance stuff....

V.
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• BTB
            • Jan 2006

Hi Phil.

Thanks for the response. You've put my mind at ease about the tray issue.

I will try to get hold of the upsampling model, as you've suggested. My system in nowhere near the level of yours, so the quality differences might not be as readily discernable, but it couldn't hurt...

I must admit, I may have spoiled things for myself a bit... this brand first came to my attention via a friends system. He has the Consonance "Droplet" CD player with a pair of Cyber 800 valve monoblocks driving a pair of Acoustat 2+2's. I've spent alot of time listening at his place, and love the sound. Wonder how close the little 120 CDP will come? Time will tell...

Cheers
            Barry

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Oh yeah? Hmmm... never heard of it. Got any links to info, pricing, etc?
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• pearsall001
                • Dec 2005

BTB, you just had to go and talk about the Droplet, didn't you!!! I owned that player before I picked up the CD120. Before you ask I'll explain why I no longer have the Droplet. As you know that thing is a beast to say the least & also it is top loading. We did some room renovations & the equipment was moved. I did my best to find a spot for the Droplet but it just wasn't going to happen, just too darn BIG. I was sick over it. The Droplet is a superb player & can run with the best of the best. Some even say it is the best player they have ever heard. Now that I've calmed down a bit let me tell you that the CD120 is one hell of a player. It would lose out against the Droplet but not by as much as one would think. Now that I've owned both players I look at things differently. The Droplet is over 3x what I paid for the CD120. Is it worth it? In my book absolutely not. I am very, very happy w/ the CD120 & now realize that spending a whole lot more only gets you a little more performance. In my book the CD120 wins hands down in the price/performance category.

Comment

• pearsall001
                  • Dec 2005

Chris, go to Questforsound.com to check out all the Consonance products. Stephen Monte the owner is the US importer for the line. That's where I first heard the Droplet & other fabulous Consonance gear along with his exceptional line of speakers. I was like a kid in a candy store. Steve is awesome to work with & has a great audio store along with incredible online feedback. I also picked up my AAD 2001 monitors & the CD120 player from him.

Comment

• BTB
                    • Jan 2006

Well, Phil... I gotta tell you...

Hearing you compare the CD 120 so favourably to the Droplet makes me even more excited about hearing it. The Droplet is in my opinion nothing less than superb. It really produces such an effortless, transparent reproduction of music, with a lightness of touch that isn't immediately suggested by it's (as you put it) "beastly" proportions, yes all 30kg's of it! When you listen, it just seems like no low level detail, no matter how fine it might be escapes it.

Add to that the presence that well recorded voices and instruments have when played on this machine, sounds so live it's actually eerie. Real goosebump stuff.

If the CD 120 could do even half as well, I'd be well pleased... by the sounds of what you're saying it does much more than that! I'll be sure to let you know how I find it when I have a chance to listen. :T

Comment

• Alloroc
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

Has anyone heard the Consonance 'Forbidden City' CDP?

A friend of mine has the Droplet and for the money, it's way up there with the best. Remindes me of a Zanden, just a whole lot cheaper.

With all this great Chinese kit arriving from the likes of Opera Audio and JAS Audio, I'm sure it's making a lot of local manufactures very nervous indeed!

V.
                      Vincent.

Comment

• BTB
                        • Jan 2006

Alloroc..

Haven't heard it yet, but I am going to try the CD 120 with the "Calaf" integrated amp from the Forbidden City range... If you haven't already seen it, you should check out the 6moons review (online) of both the Forbidden City CDP & amp from Consonance.

Some very interesting comparisons made by the reviewer between the Calaf and some big (mega buck) muscle amps from Bryston & Vincent. As you said, these Chinese products are the real deal, and could really give some established brands a jolt. I guess the real test will be whether audiophiles will be open minded enough to give these emerging products a fair listen. I must admit, it wasn't easy for me to accept their "credibility" at first, esp. in the face of the overwhelming reputations of the brands they seem to be pitching against. Not to say that those aren't reputations that have been well earned... just when you weigh up all the factors, it becomes clear what good value these new products are.

Anyway, check out the review, see what you think..

Comment

• Alloroc
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BTB
                          Alloroc..

Haven't heard it yet, but I am going to try the CD 120 with the "Calaf" integrated amp from the Forbidden City range... If you haven't already seen it, you should check out the 6moons review (online) of both the Forbidden City CDP & amp from Consonance.

Some very interesting comparisons made by the reviewer between the Calaf and some big (mega buck) muscle amps from Bryston & Vincent. As you said, these Chinese products are the real deal, and could really give some established brands a jolt. I guess the real test will be whether audiophiles will be open minded enough to give these emerging products a fair listen. I must admit, it wasn't easy for me to accept their "credibility" at first, esp. in the face of the overwhelming reputations of the brands they seem to be pitching against. Not to say that those aren't reputations that have been well earned... just when you weigh up all the factors, it becomes clear what good value these new products are.

Anyway, check out the review, see what you think..
                          Hi,

I've read the review alright. I've only read about Bryston - it's not readily available over here. Vincent on the other hand is, and while they make lovely stuff, they are expensive.

The thing is though the likes of the CD 120 is such good value and with the like of 6Moons, Positive Feedback and magazines like HiFi+ extolling their virtues, acceptance and credibility is rapidly increasing. I see companies like Arcam and perhaps even Rotel on their 2 channel ranges being impacted the most.

V.
                          Vincent.

Comment

• BTB
                            • Jan 2006

Funny...

My modest little set up of an Arcam CD 73T & Rotel 10 series amps is exactly what these Consonance products are likely to replace...

Comment

• pearsall001
                              • Dec 2005

The "Forbidden City" gear from Consonance is utterly amazing. I've heard both pieces & the sheer musical sound from them is just - well - SUPERB!!! This Consonance line is going to be a real pain in the arse for many hi-end companies. Their gear is just that good. What makes it a double whammy for these other companies is that you don't have to mortgage the house to buy a piece of Consonance gear. Fellows put the gloves on & let the fight begin!!

Comment

• audiojunky
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BTB
                                Funny...

My modest little set up of an Arcam CD 73T & Rotel 10 series amps is exactly what these Consonance products are likely to replace...
                                BTB - you ditching the Arcams!!?!

Comment

• BTB
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by audiojunky
                                  BTB - you ditching the Arcams!!?!
                                  Yup, I'm afraid that as things stand, I may well go that way... I was first introduced to this Opera Audio Consonance gear about a year ago, initially (for reasons stated above) I wasn't all that keen on really taking a "chance" on this relatively unknown brand. Then I got a chance to hear some of it... I was blown away...

To the extent that I kept "coming back" to that sound, in my mind as being as close to my "ideal" as I'd heard at prices that would make it attainable to a "normal" income guy like me. But still I resisted, content with the idea that I would eventually save up (or get into debt) enough to get some kit from one (or a few) of the accepted "super" brands.

But lately I've grown tired of the constant upgrade "hamster wheel" that many find themselves on (myself included). I got into audio a few years back because I love music, not hi fi, I don't want to spend my time chasing my tail when I could be enjoying my music. Sure I get a kick out of checking out audio gear, but essentially, I'm looking for a system that serves music.

As far as I've heard so far this Consonance stuff fits that bill. I'm not suggesting that it's the greatest gear ever made, or that no other equipment can produce similar results... just that at these prices, this is geniune high end product at the prices that the big names sell their entry level stuff at! And I can no longer see why I should waste my time with entry & mid level gear for the sake of a badge. I realise that this approach will not be for everyone and I'm not knocking anyone who owns (or aspires to own) the "usual suspects".

So yes AudioJunky, after months of flying the flag for the Arcam on some of the other forums, I'm 99% sure that they're on their way out. And with them my plans to upgrade to the CD 192 model. Doesn't mean that I suddenly think that they're rubbish, but I think I have made my position clear enough.

Just for the record... the "ideal" sound I referred to above is a finely judged balance between analysis and detail retrieval and "musicality" (sorry, a very intangible term I know)... which are the qualities this Consonance kit has by the bucket load.

Comment

• BTB
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by pearsall001
                                    Fellows put the gloves on & let the fight begin!!
                                    Would those be the white gloves packed with the product?

Thanks for your views on the Forbidden City products.

Comment

• audiojunky
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BTB
                                      I'm 99% sure that they're on their way out
                                      Why do you say that? I know this is not an Arcam thread, so maybe we can take this discussion offline?

Comment

• pearsall001
                                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BTB
                                        Would those be the white gloves packed with the product?

Thanks for your views on the Forbidden City products.
                                        You betcha!!! Snazzy aren't they!!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"