X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ripping Question #2: Defragmenting

Not being THAT familiar with the inner workings of Mr. Bill's world I'm not exactly sure how Window's defragmenter works. Is it possible that it can cause damage to, or somehow modify a ripped file? I don't see how it can as defragmenting doesn't seem to damage or substantively alter non-audio files (audiophiles? :B ), but I thought some clarification would be good.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

As I understand it, during computer (and hard disk drive) usage information is stored wherever the hard disk drive has space available. This information can be randomly stored all over the place on the hard disk drive. Over time this slows up the process in which information is accessed by the read-write heads of the drive. When we "defragment" the hard disk drive, all this stored information is accessed and "restored" in a logical and associated location on the hard disk drive and any "fragments" of unusable data are discarded. This not only frees the hard disk drive of useless information (thus creating more space) but also enables easier and faster access by the read-write heads and thus speeds up operations. No information is lost in the process.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"