• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Gothica
    I'm going to get some hell for this, but here goes:

I jumped on the band wagon a few weeks ago and purchased a pair of 805S from a local dealer. I was blown away. I auditioned the Monster monitors in a 5.1 set up and my world turned 360. B&Ws build and quality are amazing - don't get me wrong, but the Monsters are more sensitive and brighter at lower volumes. I purchased a pair of bookshelf Monster SL200 and put them up against the B&W for almost two weeks trying to convince my ears that the B&Ws are far superior. They are not. I ended up purchasing a full set of Monster THX in 5.1. I wanted to stay part of the B&W cult, but at the same price point - I get a lot more sound from the Monsters. If anyone's interested, I've got the B&Ws on San Diego Craiglist.

I hope I don't get black balled from this community - I love the discussions.
    This remaining your first and only post creates a doubt in my mind.

BB

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yea i have the same doubts. Seems like we have some people from Monster trying to promote their products In my eyes anyways.

Comment

• Lotus 78
        • May 2005

I would hardly compare Monster to Bose. At least Monster’s stuff is at least of average quality, granted over priced. Bose speakers are a cut below white van. My parents bought one of the Bose cube speaker systems. The $10 speakers hooked up to my computer at work sound better than the Bose system.

I still use Monster speaker cable. Its the best $30 cable I’ve ever used, too bad I paid 100 bucks for it. I replaced the only set of Monster interconnects last night (thanks Doug)

Comment

• pikers
          • May 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
          Okay pikers, cool it or get a week ban. You've been warned.

HTG Admin
          It seems to be OK to jump on the "bash Monster (or whomever) bandwagon, but if someone defends a business for protecting its interests they get the wrath of Admin.

My point is this: People want to carpet nuke Monster for anything, regardless of whether they have any first hand experience with any of their product. TBH, I think most of their products are decent, yet reliable. Top flight? No, but they aren't priced there either.

People read these forums because they don't know anything. Let's try to remember that before unwarranted bashing of any company commences. :W

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by pikers
            It seems to be OK to jump on the "bash Monster (or whomever) bandwagon, but if someone defends a business for protecting its interests they get the wrath of Admin.
            The problem is not what you said, it's how you said it.... going after admin is not going to help you either

Last warning Pikers.
            Jason

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Lotus 78
              I would hardly compare Monster to Bose. At least Monster’s stuff is at least of average quality, granted over priced. Bose speakers are a cut below white van. My parents bought one of the Bose cube speaker systems. The $10 speakers hooked up to my computer at work sound better than the Bose system.

I still use Monster speaker cable. Its the best $30 cable I’ve ever used, too bad I paid 100 bucks for it. I replaced the only set of Monster interconnects last night (thanks Doug)
              if bose didnt fill a niche people wouldnt buy it
              same can be said for monster
              both are good companies and have reached thier status for more than just thier percieved value relative to performance.

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by peterS
                if bose didnt fill a niche people wouldnt buy it
                same can be said for monster
                both are good companies and have reached thier status for more than just thier percieved value relative to performance.
                Ummm...no. Having heard Bose a few times , I have to give (IMO) the Bose marketing people 100% of the credit for their success. They may make a $1400 clock-radio , but it's still a clock-radio. It may be the best damn clock-radio in the universe but that's roughly the equivalent of being the finest concert pianist in all of Galveston. (that's a quote from an old TV show so please don't send me hate mail from all the wonderful pianists in Galveston) Extra points for what show and who said it! :B
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
                  Harley tried to sue a certain Japanese manufacturer for making bikes that sound like a Harley!
                  Wow, that's just play ignorance on Harley's side... being that we don't have the R consonant in our alphabet. lol

Comeup, I'm glad you can understand why 'we' hate Monster so much. Did you see that they tried to sue Sesame Street for the Cookie Monster!?! Cookie Monster is just about as old as our grandmothers. lol And thank you for thinking that I'm a comedian. lol
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• comeup
                    • Jul 2005

How about this guys, if your near a place where Monster speakers are sold go take a listen with an humble approach then comeback and post with your honest opinion, the tall thin speakers. I made the original post before I bought the Kef XQ5 and ended up with the Kefs, so thoughs of you that think I work for Monster I don't. I've only had the Kefs a couple of weeks and those Monsters have seriously been on my mine I have two weeks to make a choice. I've listened to a lot of speakers lately including B&W 803, dali Helicons, Triangles, and many others and some reason my mine goes back to the Monsters, but you guys have put some doubt in my mine.
                    Blake

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by comeup
                      How about this guys, if your near a place where Monster speakers are sold go take a listen with an humble approach then comeback and post with your honest opinion, the tall thin speakers. I made the original post before I bought the Kef XQ5 and ended up with the Kefs, so thoughs of you that think I work for Monster I don't. I've only had the Kefs a couple of weeks and those Monsters have seriously been on my mine I have two weeks to make a choice. I've listened to a lot of speakers lately including B&W 803, dali Helicons, Triangles, and many others and some reason my mine goes back to the Monsters, but you guys have put some doubt in my mine.
                      Comeup, you do know the whole Monster employee thing was a joke, right? We're not attacking you. Just half of us have our minds set on Monster primarily because of their tactics.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I wouldnt say that people come to these boards because they know nothing. And im rather surprised they let you say that, Because basically you just said everyone here is an idiot. People come here to gather and learn from each other. Many people here know about one thing and not others but there is a ton of knowledge in this forums so refrain from calling us "idiots" thanks :B

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Harley tried to sue a certain Japanese manufacturer for making bikes that sound like a Harley!
                          Hartley tried to 'patent' the sound of it's V-twin. It failed in that attempt.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                            Because basically you just said everyone here is an idiot.
                            lol, sounds like you're looking for a fight. lol jk
                            But Dougie is right. Unlike many forums on the net, people come here to exchange experience, and not actually learn or compete in knowledge. Not much to learn on the technical side since this is not generally a technical forum. The board is not really about building audio electronics. The main objective is to find the best HT setup, and having others share their experience to guide you. I think that's why this board is so easy to talk to, because we're all here just sharing our experience, not speculating something silly like 'this new component is going to blow this other one out of the water', so it's just a very mature natural talk. Not a lot of room to talk smack. We have directors, engineers, medical, all types of people here, but in most threads, our technical knowledge doesn't make one smarter or dumber since it's only our ears and eyes making decisions here. So we just end up sharing our experience.

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              Hartley tried to 'patent' the sound of it's V-twin. It failed in that attempt.
                              Ahhhh, gotcha!

Comment

• peterS
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                                Ummm...no. Having heard Bose a few times , I have to give (IMO) the Bose marketing people 100% of the credit for their success. They may make a $1400 clock-radio , but it's still a clock-radio. It may be the best damn clock-radio in the universe but that's roughly the equivalent of being the finest concert pianist in all of Galveston. (that's a quote from an old TV show so please don't send me hate mail from all the wonderful pianists in Galveston) Extra points for what show and who said it! :B
                                they are small, user friendly and a house hold name
                                the average person can only detect a speaker's short comming in vocal ranges
                                the bose are very clear in these ranges.... very easy sell

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Well im gonna have to disagree with you audioqueso. I believe one of the most popular section on this forum is the DIY section where lots of technical stuff flys around but yeah i agree with you regardless.

Comment

• comeup
                                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                    Comeup, you do know the whole Monster employee thing was a joke, right? We're not attacking you. Just half of us have our minds set on Monster primarily because of their tactics.

audioqueso, I know you got jokes it didn't bother me at all but for those who might think I do work for them had to let em know. I love these discussions and we all have different opinions Thank God or these would be some boring discussions I can't stand when someone agrees with everything I say it takes the fun out of it. ITS ALL GOOD
                                    Blake

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by peterS
                                      they are small, user friendly and a house hold name
                                      the average person can only detect a speaker's short comming in vocal ranges
                                      the bose are very clear in these ranges.... very easy sell
                                      WTF!
                                      Since this forum is the tiny little "circle of truth" lets not delude ourselves or others with any romantic notions of sound quality please...

Bose is easy to sell for a very few critical reasons, and sound quality or "clarity" is not even in the top 50 reasons...

1) $50 Million dollars in annual marketing budget
                                      Which has led to:
                                      2) Total market saturation (Name Brand Recognition)

Almost 75% of all polled buyers have never heard a Bose system prior to sale, yet makes claims that it is the best product (and haven't even heard it yet)

Do you understand?

A huge majority of consumers come into the store knowing (for lack of a better word) what is the best product and so they know what to buy, and it's got nothing to do with listening tests or smooth midrange or whatever sound characteristic you might want to use.

It's because of (see #1 above)

Thus = you can sell a clock radio for whatever ridiculous price you choose, the battle is already won. (In the marketing department and on the retail floor)

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

People read these forums because they don't know anything. Let's try to remember that before unwarranted bashing of any company commences.
                                        Totally untrue. People read/participate in these forums because they want to learn more, or because they enjoy sharing knowledge with others. That doesn't make them stupid in regards to audio/video! Far from it. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge this forum and others like it has among it's member ranks every day.

Companies that do something to get themselves a black eye, hate the fact that consumers share information in this age of the internet, and they do learn from one another. They hate the fact the reader is not stupid anymore, and they DO know something because it's very easy to get educated now. One need look no further than google to get an education.
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lotus 78
                                          • May 2005

peterS---I was not implying that Bose or Monster are poorly run or even unethical in the way their businesses are run. They are indeed extremely finically successful companies. Perceived quality, value and performance by brand name is a very powerful indeed.

Oddly enough I had an in-law comment last weekend that I would get much better sound out of my system if I would spend a little extra money and get “brand name electronics” and not the fly by night companies making cheap junk.

And yes I will have to be nice when he demonstrates his $300 Sony receiver with the Bose cube things that “can out perform any speaker in the world even those costing over $50,000”

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

And yes I will have to be nice when he demonstrates his $300 Sony receiver with the Bose cube things that “can out perform any speaker in the world even those costing over $50,000”
                                            :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2001

I've been listening to my music on Bose 501s for the last 25 years and they still sound pretty good to me. I only bought them because the business was folding and this set of Bose was 1/2 priced and they offered quite a bit for the limited budget I had at the time, but I have no regrets.
                                              My Homepage!

Comment

• peterS
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

peterS---I was not implying that Bose or Monster are poorly run or even unethical in the way their businesses are run. They are indeed extremely finically successful companies. Perceived quality, value and performance by brand name is a very powerful indeed.

Oddly enough I had an in-law comment last weekend that I would get much better sound out of my system if I would spend a little extra money and get “brand name electronics” and not the fly by night companies making cheap junk.

for the average person its probably good enough.... makes our ears bleed of course

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"