Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Does any know what this means?

Frequency Response <33 Hz to 20 kHz + 2 dB in room

thanks.
  • 8thDwarf
    • Feb 2005

Frequency Response <33 Hz to 20 kHz + 2 dB in room(claimed)
    <33 Hz= lower than 33 cycles extension, dependent bass gain tied to room size.
    +2 db in room= means it doesn't deviate from the stated frequency expanse of 33cycles through 20 thousand cycles by more than the addition of 2 decibels in a typical room(average room?) I don't know what a typical room is.

put another way...they go low and seem decently flat in a real world situation...listening will tell you far more.

Is the speaker a Totem "Forest"?

Comment

• audiofan
      • May 2004

Thanks, 8thDwarf.

Yes, it's Totem Forrest. I'm looking into buying this speaker. I heard it at the store , but not at my home so i don't know how good it is. My room is small 12'x14'

Have you heard of this speaker? what is your opinion? Also, I take Aperion Audio in consideration too. They have new line of floor standing , new model 633-T and 533-PT.

thanks.

Comment

• 8thDwarf
        • Feb 2005

Just a few hours and from memory the Forests sound quick,dynamic(not a rock-n-roll loudspeaker) articulate,spacious,focused,just enough warmth with reach out and touch vocalists.Very musical sums it up.
        I think they could be ruthless with poor upstream gear choices.
        All the music was well recorded,no rougher recordings vinyl or cd.
        I've 'heard' they are a bit power hungry with smaller sweet spot,don't know if this all true. I sat still and payed little attention to the upstream gear.
        A 12'x14' room may be difficult almost cubish dimensions, getting the bass right would be easier with stand mounted speakers and a seperate sub.... a pair of Totem Model 1's / Lightning sub?? speaker $tand$ needed however.
        Forests used, seem a bargain ($1600-2k)less so to me at $3k retail.
        I ended up with the cheaper Soliloquy 6.2(now 6.5 and larger room).
        From memory the Totems ?slightly? edge out the very nice Soliloquys in several areas however.
        But 6.2's are about $1k used ,very easy to drive with good detail at low volume and excellent low end ability.Again I think placement and room treatment would overshadow performance differences of both brands.

On the Aperions I know less if that's possible...they use Ray Kimbers
        ?Diaural crossover? Price sounds good just reading it :-)
        Being direct sellers it's hard to see the cabinetry quality. Aperion seems to focus on merits of the x-over design which I understand to be very few parts(not a bad thing) very high quality drivers (needed for this x-over design from my understanding)
        Good loudspeaker performance at or under a thousand has been getting very good lately.
        Cabinet quality seems more the dividing line.
        The recently reviewed Infinity Primus 360,Wharfdale Diamond9.5/9.6,DCM TFE 200/100 all sound very good and fiddling with the room troubles could level the field an any of these.

Yes, it's Totem Forrest. I'm looking into buying this speaker. I heard it at the store , but not at my home so i don't know how good it is. My room is small 12'x14'

Have you heard of this speaker? what is your opinion? Also, I take Aperion Audio in consideration too. They have new line of floor standing , new model 633-T and 533-PT.

Comment

• audiofan
          • May 2004

I have been treating my room lately ( i know it's worst room setup , but it's the only room i have for 2 channel gear). Bass trap is getting better as i will add more .

Now to the speaker, Aperion. I actually see Aperion PT at my friend's house. It's rock solid with 1" HDF. From what i can see it has good build quality. However, the sound is a bit laid back , and i hope with new x-over (called HD-X3), it will sound better.

However, Totem Forrest is a temptation.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"