X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

Dust............Speakers

Does dust settling down on the speakers effect the sound quality and output ?????....................over a period of time. If yes, whats the best way to clean it up ?????.
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Just guessing, I really wouldnt think it would have an effect on it.

I do a regular dusting then once in a while with a very soft wide paint brush to dust the cones and corners. Also have used a vacuum with a soft brush attachment.
    ......Pat

Comment

• aphexist
      • Jan 2004

Dusting your speakers will definately give you a cleaner sound stage, but only if you use an deionized audiophile cleaning cloth.

Comment

• Stoney
        • Dec 2004

I remember someone posting that they used the pressurised air cans for cleaning keyboards to dust their speakers. I think a caution should be included, since spraying too much or too close would cause liquid to come out of the can. Might cause staining or thermal damage to cones or suspension.
        Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
        Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
        B&W DM605 S2 Mains
        DM602 S2 Surrounds
        DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
        CC6 S2 Center.
        ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Umm, I can definitely post on this. I just had a fire (mild fire), but my house was filled will smoke, and after the extingisher, the living room was covered white/grey powder. Luckily my B&W 805s weren't burned, but there was residue/powder all over it. I cleaned the outside with a microfiber clothes (which is how I usually do). I used compressed air to blow away anything from the tweeters and the woofer cones. This speaker is ported so it is possible for contaminents to go inside the speaker. I called up B&W & a B&W authorized repairman. They both stated that the internals are constructed to withstand very thick air and contaminents (i.e., summer weather, heavy smoker, club fumes, etc). I mentioned that if there is dust, dust builds up and creates heat. I wasn't given an exact temperature, but they're suppose to be able ti withstand an extreme about of heat as long as it's not direct. Now this is specifically with this speaker, but I guess lots of high-end speakers are made this way. I wanted to see if because of the smoke, I would need my speaker 'retune', but was advised that unless there was direct heat, there would never be a need to calibrate them. Soooooo... will dust damage the speakers in a long run, probably not based on what I was told with my situation.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• i_amadeo
            • May 2005

dust probably not...but what real hits u hard ..when u have a 5000 dollar speaker ....and you find out that rodants and pests have made the inside of your speaker cabinet a home...a nesting place ......from the front vent ....ouch
            come into the light

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Ohhhhhhhhhh, that has to suck. I think the moral of that story is you should buy plastic speakers.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"